Apple Music vs Google Music in South Africa

The_MAC

Executive Member
What does "manage the metadata yourself" mean, you have to manage the album art, track title, artist etc yourself?

If yes, then hell no, I'll stick to Deezer

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Google took a different approach, offering its users cloud storage for up to 50,000 songs for free. The trade-off is that you have to upload the files and manage the metadata yourself.
AFAIK with Apple Music you also have to upload the songs yourself and your metadata doesn't get updated with the Apple version. Hated that when I upgraded my music to 256kbps m4a.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
AFAIK with Apple Music you also have to upload the songs yourself and your metadata doesn't get updated with the Apple version. Hated that when I upgraded my music to 256kbps m4a.
Huh?

You don't need to upload anything yourself and I've not once needed to edit any Metadata either.

It should only be a problem for stuff that isn't actually on the iTunes Store anyway...which is very little.

Park@82

Honorary Master
When did google music go live in SA? I just opened the play store and saw it...

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Huh?

You don't need to upload anything yourself and I've not once needed to edit any Metadata either.

It should only be a problem for stuff that isn't actually on the iTunes Store anyway...which is very little.
Which is the same for GPlay Music...

Jan

Drifting in the black
What does "manage the metadata yourself" mean, you have to manage the album art, track title, artist etc yourself?

If yes, then hell no, I'll stick to Deezer
That's only for Google's cloud upload feature which lets you add songs from your own collection to your Google Play Music library. That's a free feature to anyone with a Google account, I believe.

Deezer doesn't have an equivalent to that, or iTunes Match, as far as I know.

Jan

Drifting in the black
Hrm... iTunes Match should try and match the songs you upload. It's only if it can't find a match that metadata should be an issue.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Hrm... iTunes Match should try and match the songs you upload. It's only if it can't find a match that metadata should be an issue.
Yup. Or called iCloud Library now if you only have Apple Music.

Digilus

Google has launched its digital music store and subscription streaming service in South Africa.
Would be nice if someone told my phone. Asking Google voice what song is playing says the service is not available in my country - and I thought that was tied to Google Music :whistling::confused:

Snick

You are referring to iTunes Match. I use Apple Music and it's the same as Deezer or Rdio (which I used before Apple Music).

Hemps

Honorary Master
So for R50pm you get streaming service and a "matching" service.

With Apple you have to pay the streaming fee and the "matching" fee is extra.

edit: I matched a couple songs with Google Music and downloaded the .mp3 , its 256kbs and not 320kbs, am I missing a setting somewhere for quality?

Last edited:

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
So for R50pm you get streaming service and a "matching" service.

With Apple you have to pay the streaming fee and the "matching" fee is extra.

edit: I matched a couple songs with Google Music and downloaded the .mp3 , its 256kbs and not 320kbs, am I missing a setting somewhere for quality?
When you stream it adjusts the quality based on the strength of the connection. Not sure about download quality.

You can set it, though. Maybe set it at 320, try downloading a track again and see what happens?

Open the Google Play Music app Google Play Music Icon.
Touch the Menu icon Google Play Music Menu icon > Settings.
Touch Quality on mobile network.
Select a level.