Apple Pay South Africa

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
Excuse me - SB also have virtual cards. How much more innovation is needed?

FNB is taking flak as they have spent many years claiming and apparently winning awards for the most innovative bank, now not only did their first to market virtual cards tank and piss off millions of customers, but they are now way way behind on Apple Pay, and are spending all their social media clout acting as if virtual cards are the same thing.

I could honestly not even tell you what standard banks “thing” is so weather or not they do something, not sure anyone really cares.

Louis72

Expert Member
FNB is taking flak as they have spent many years claiming and apparently winning awards for the most innovative bank, now not only did their first to market virtual cards tank and piss off millions of customers, but they are now way way behind on Apple Pay, and are spending all their social media clout acting as if virtual cards are the same thing.

I could honestly not even tell you what standard banks “thing” is so weather or not they do something, not sure anyone really cares.
Actually Standard was first with Virtual cards in 2018.

krycor

Honorary Master
meh.. still nothing :( killing my Discovery card end of month. Will miss Apple Pay.

krycor

Honorary Master
Why you killing your discovery if it works?

because it was never my primary card(was useful when on fnb to see it all in one app btw) and it will again be completely paid up. Given that I have a basic card and vitality benefits are not only if you bank with them or have more than just a basic credit card with them it was always the plan to kill it.

saves me uhm R15 + 30 + 30(if u have a negative bill) bucks excl interest.. Just no point if u not into running the financial gauntlet of vitality in combo... i'd rather stick with ebucks or move to another bank tbh.

Louis72

Expert Member
because it was never my primary card(was useful when on fnb to see it all in one app btw) and it will again be completely paid up. Given that I have a basic card and vitality benefits are not only if you bank with them or have more than just a basic credit card with them it was always the plan to kill it.

saves me uhm R15 + 30 + 30(if u have a negative bill) bucks excl interest.. Just no point if u not into running the financial gauntlet of vitality in combo... i'd rather stick with ebucks or move to another bank tbh.
Probably say depending how you structure your products Absa Rewards is probably the best alternative to Ebucks based on cash earnings and network of partnerships.

Sasol fuel stations, Woolies, Dischem, Spar, Food Lovers, and PnP on the grocery list.
Bolt on the Taxi front.

Also all general swipes have cash back.

The discovery ecosystem also works well if you have everything with them.

krycor

Honorary Master
Probably say depending how you structure your products Absa Rewards is probably the best alternative to Ebucks based on cash earnings and network of partnerships.

Sasol fuel stations, Woolies, Dischem, Spar, Food Lovers, and PnP on the grocery list.
Bolt on the Taxi front.

Also all general swipes have cash back.

The discovery ecosystem also works well if you have everything with them.

Yah I started moving almost all products from them baring Medical and Life. Then after shopping around ended back on them for short term insurance too . (But you never stay with a short term insurer for the longer term as the industry always requires competitive quotes to keep them honest.

I don’t foresee myself staying on their credit card system though as it’s just a spare card and with most of the vitality rewards requiring a bank account etc (additional cost) I don’t see myself consolidating banking with them either. Gym has become a home.. so there goes that. I moved back to Cpt so bye bye flights too.

The whole reason I moved is simple.. when it comes to banking, investment etc. gamification good behavior may appear all well and good but do know that it’s to drive product sales and discovery has not been exactly stable in that respect (remember vitality game balancing haha).

For banking and investments.. you need long term stability esp for interest rates (credit or debt) as it allows you to plan ahead(besides you don’t invest with a life assurer unless you like paying more fees than normal). I don’t see them doing that.. instead they seem to tie this to behavior to manage their risk & reward.. icky.. for financial planning.

Skankhunt

Expert Member
Just made my first payment online with Apple Pay. Amazing not having to enter any payment information. :love:
Same also did that last week, via my Macbook.
Payment dialogue comes up, verify on iPhone (double click side button). Done!

Se@n

5eed9ba40b916f1d9c161917da514193.jpg

2 months later.
What could these clowns be doing/failing at that’s taking them so long?

*added an ‘at’