Apple Pay South Africa

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Im not sure what all the fuss is about, FNB have had Garmin pay for a while, its fun for a bit and even practical in some instances, but its hardly the most groundbreaking thing to happen in the last few years.
You still have to take your phone out and unlock it, with masks that means typing in a code.
Its faster for me to pull my wallet out instead and use a card to tap. Sure some people might not carry a wallet, but most have it with them all of the time so I dont see any actual benefits to this.

You forget Apple Pay works on your Mac, iPhone and iPad as well.

You basically never need a card again anywhere.

Being on my Watch will make paying for petrol on a motorcycle infinitely easier.

Also don’t need to take your phone out at all with the Watch. In fact don’t need a pin to unlock iPhone either if you have the Watch.

I already literally carry a wallet for a license and a card and nothing else. Completely useless and unnecessary thing.

Will literally never carry my wallet ever again.

ace119

Why does anyone even bank with STD? I fail to see their value proposition. They’re sponsoring content on news24 about their revolutionary new fleet card. That should say it all.

Agreed….

Louis72

Expert Member
Why does anyone even bank with STD? I fail to see their value proposition. They’re sponsoring content on news24 about their revolutionary new fleet card. That should say it all.
People don't know better or just either lazy or don't care about extra features. I think some are where they are because of loans/Interest rates.
The fees of all the big 4 are pretty in line with each other.

Some because of a couple of points a month. Would say in the majority of cases when one adds up all the bank costs together you find the rewards pretty much cover that. You don't really win much except in some circumstances.

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
PSA: Don't update to iOS 15 Beta 3 as it breaks FNB app support

Seems it’s only FNB. Capitec, Investec and ABSA are fine. Wonder what FNB botched up to make that happen, maybe they requesting a permission wrong or Apples not happy with all the spyware they have in it.

Louis72

Expert Member
Seems it’s only FNB. Capitec, Investec and ABSA are fine. Wonder what FNB botched up to make that happen, maybe they requesting a permission wrong or Apples not happy with all the spyware they have in it.
Probably does a version check and Jailbreak check.
I know the Absa one does not work on Jailbroken devices for probably better part of a decade already.

At least one knows you wont get cutting edge from Capitec because you are not paying cutting edge prices.

But eish FNB so expensive for Premier and you get a rubbish app and a turtle as a private banker along with no Apple Pay:ROFL:

neoprema

Executive Member
I moved from FNB to Standard Bank. Maybe they're not as technologically ahead feature wise but the service is incredible and they approved my homeloan while FNB just kept asking for silly document after silly document after silly document.
So far i'm really happy. Just waiting on Apple pay now.
And as someone who travels FNB stuffed-up travel with their forcing you to have ebucks and buy into every single one of their products is useless. i can get unlimited free lounge access from other banks without watching my ebucks every 5 seconds incase *shock* I didn't spend R5 where they wanted me to and I don't meet my level...