Apple Pay South Africa

Louis72

Expert Member
Maybe this holds some clues as to the holdup?

Do they want to be able to use their virtual cards with changing CCV numbers as cards in Apple pay, instead of just the physical cards (AFAIK all the other cards are cards with fixed CCV's)? So maybe some extra things to sort out with Apple on that front...?
What would be the point of reloading a new card to your apple wallet every hour as the CVV changes just to make one online transaction?

werfie

Expert Member
What would be the point of reloading a new card to your apple wallet every hour as the CVV changes just to make one online transaction?
Well... maybe they are trying to get the virtual cards to be loadable without CCV, or something similar. So that you can have different cards on different devices (watch/phone) and if you need to cancel a card, you can replace it with a new one right away, instead of having to wait for a new physical card. Or if you lose one device, you can cancel that card and still use Apple Pay on your other device with the virtual card on that one.

whatwhat

Executive Member
Well... maybe they are trying to get the virtual cards to be loadable without CCV, or something similar. So that you can have different cards on different devices (watch/phone) and if you need to cancel a card, you can replace it with a new one right away, instead of having to wait for a new physical card. Or if you lose one device, you can cancel that card and still use Apple Pay on your other device with the virtual card on that one.

As I mentioned earlier Apple doesn't give two shits if it's a virtual or real card. They just convert it into a token with the secure enclave as a gaurentee that there was pin/touch/face id on the transaction.

FNB manages all the rest. It's not rocket science, they aren't the first in the world to do this and the integration is smooth.

This is not Apple at all after the other Banks were allowed.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Maybe this holds some clues as to the holdup?

Do they want to be able to use their virtual cards with changing CCV numbers as cards in Apple pay, instead of just the physical cards (AFAIK all the other cards are cards with fixed CCV's)? So maybe some extra things to sort out with Apple on that front...?
why, oh why.....

if true, then it represents everything that is soooooo frustrating in the South African Banking Sector - the endless gold plating and unshakeable belief that 'we know better than anyone else' - FML

You sommer triggered me bigtime with that speculation

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Maybe, just MAYBE get the basic functionality (that fits the use case for 99.99999999% of your users) working like clockwork FIRST before trying to implement fancy ****!

Priapus

Executive Member

I guess. This works well on Discovery. Cancel a virtual card and create a new one. No need for a physical card.

Se@n

Anybody know if the virtual card works with Samsung pay? Someone must know a Samsung user.

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
Oooh the horror! Imagine? How can I pay at Woolies without my CVV changing every hour now??

That should have nothing to do with it, it should tokenize the card so as long as you add it within the hour of validity it should just work.

I am guessing Sam pay may not support them in general.

But a CVV is used for card not present verification and usually only the first time in the event of setting up a recurring as you are not allowed to store a CVV.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
That should have nothing to do with it, it should tokenize the card so as long as you add it within the hour of validity it should just work.

I am guessing Sam pay may not support them in general.

But a CVV is used for card not present verification and usually only the first time in the event of setting up a recurring as you are not allowed to store a CVV.

Correct. A tokenized card (Apple / Samsung Pay) shows as present to the POS device.