Apple Pay South Africa

phlux

It’s working now. Was able to add my FNB card via the app..
Can confirm. Created 2 virtual cards and added individually on Watch and Phone. Tomorrow will be the real test when I try actually use it though

Supercarfan

Credit Card or Cheque or Fusion?

I’m using Fusion…. Both myself and my wife did separate Apple Pay purchases today, both on Fusion Virtual Card… both transactions are not visible and both are not under “Pending”

Bizarre!! Then like 3 or so maybe 5 days later they appear in the transactions list!!
Now I don’t know if I was just imagining it or not, but now I don’t see that transaction on under pending anymore… maybe it never was there :-/

Tacet

Expert Member
Can confirm. Created 2 virtual cards and added individually on Watch and Phone. Tomorrow will be the real test when I try actually use it though
How did you verify them? The only option I het is their online banking help desk number. The help desk does not help.

FHTheron

So which bank should I move all my accounts and home loan to if this falls apart tomorrow as well? One with Apple Pay where I don’t feel like my money is just a number that will vanish with a wrong click. (I know it is, but I want a solid illusion)

krycor

Honorary Master
Is that like 'limp' mode?

Asking for a friend

When I did it lunch time it ran through the hurdles, sent sms etc.

With wife’s account card and CC (on my acc) (physical card) I noticed that it gives phone verify. No sms. This after the virtual card kept failing making me think that system is down hence the half down for reg comment.

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
So which bank should I move all my accounts and home loan to if this falls apart tomorrow as well? One with Apple Pay where I don’t feel like my money is just a number that will vanish with a wrong click. (I know it is, but I want a solid illusion)

I moved to Investec, not for this Apple crap mind. I been taking issue with FNBs shitty service and shitty app for some time and the last straw for me was when they started requiring insecure passwords.

Get better interest for HL, car and even the “savings pocket” pays 10x more interest. You get 2 dedicated bankers, like you get their cell numbers.

OnlyOneKenobi

Not impressed with FNB... Wife's cards were added to wallet but could not be verified (only option was App verification which kept failing or phone helpdesk - no SMS option. ) I guess I'll see whether it works later today or not.

Tacet

Expert Member
I tried again this morning: I removed the card I added last night. I then added the card again via the FNB app. This time it doesn't even ask me for verification - it seems like the verification process is automated if you add the card via the app.

ActivateD

Expert Member
Not impressed with FNB... Wife's cards were added to wallet but could not be verified (only option was App verification which kept failing or phone helpdesk - no SMS option. ) I guess I'll see whether it works later today or not.
Check if the app has been update on your App store. I found mine wasn't auto-updating and after I forced the update I could add the cards either via the wallet or the FNB App.

Priapus

Executive Member
I tried again this morning: I removed the card I added last night. I then added the card again via the FNB app. This time it doesn't even ask me for verification - it seems like the verification process is automated if you add the card via the app.

Yes, adding the card via the app skips the manual verification.

mccdyl001

A reminder that if you are trying to maximize your ebucks level, add a virtual card to your Apple wallet and use that for at least 3 tap-to-pay transactions a month.

slightly off topic, change your Spotify/Netflix/etc streaming subscriptions over to virtual cards too at the same time. Part of the July ebucks rule changes.

Affieplaas

I've added my virtual card as well as physical card yesterday and tested it last night at the garage when I filled up and it worked like a bomb.

The physical card is now the default. Does anyone know how you can change which card must be used as default?

Chiller89

I've added my virtual card as well as physical card yesterday and tested it last night at the garage when I filled up and it worked like a bomb.

The physical card is now the default. Does anyone know how you can change which card must be used as default?
It prompts you when you add the card if you want it as default.
But if you want to change it later:
Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay > Default Card.

Louis72

Expert Member
Nedbank seems to be doing good things these days! if you prefer a larger ATM/branch network and better Rewards program Absa is most probably the answer.

At least their core banking system has proven itself way more reliable than FNB over the years.
I have been told that AWS was Absa's answer to scalability and reliability.
Sure outages also do happen but the big difference is the rest of the bank always seems unaffected. Cards, ATM"s and internet banking never go down all at once from poor implementation, yesterday was yet another example.

They don't waste their time with gimmicks and it shows in the system reliablity. Can open an account with their App and try it out. Think you will find the App speed and logical layout refreshing ;)

Last edited:

Hush9300

Expert Member
A reminder that if you are trying to maximize your ebucks level, add a virtual card to your Apple wallet and use that for at least 3 tap-to-pay transactions a month.

slightly off topic, change your Spotify/Netflix/etc streaming subscriptions over to virtual cards too at the same time. Part of the July ebucks rule changes.
3 FNB Pay/Apple Pay transactions in total but only 1 through the virtual card is needed.