Apple Pay South Africa

OnlyOneKenobi

Check if the app has been update on your App store. I found mine wasn't auto-updating and after I forced the update I could add the cards either via the wallet or the FNB App.
Yeah, not being an FNB customer myself, I forced an update but still could not see an obvious way to add the cards to the Apple wallet from the FNB app directly, so I did it manually and hence the verification requirement. Haven't tried again today (yet).

Supercarfan

Now I don’t know if I was just imagining it or not, but now I don’t see that transaction on under pending anymore… maybe it never was there :-/
@ace119, FWIW, the transaction is back under pending again this morning.

wonder if VCC’s disappearing from the app had anything to do with it. Seems like their back end systems are held together with some sticky tape and a prayer.

Gambit

Expert Member
Still can't add it to my Watch.

Is anyone else having problems doing this?

I had issues but managed to add my cards using the watch app on my phone. If you go to the Apple Pay section, it shows you cards added to your phone and allows you to add them to your watch

krycor

Honorary Master
Spotted a bug.. long story short, secondary cards contact the account holder not the cardholder for verification.

And yes.. Cardholder number is set which is different to primary account holder and does work with other applications(purchase, 3D secure, etc). Now to figure out how to log the bug tho

krycor

Honorary Master
Nothing locally, not even made it to any of our local e-commerce sites yet

I’m more concerned that not all local ecom acquirers don’t do the ecom preauth locally which is why the rolling cvv doesn’t work for virtual cards

Tim_vb

I’m more concerned that not all local ecom acquirers don’t do the ecom preauth locally which is why the rolling cvv doesn’t work for virtual cards
off topic but is there any point to virtual cards apart from ripping off online rental sites?

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
off topic but is there any point to virtual cards apart from ripping off online rental sites?

Security and control. You’d ideally create one per site that stores card details for subscription or regular purposes. So say one for takealot, another for Spotify and another for Netflix.

If someone hacks into Netflix and makes off with your virtual card details, you destroy the card, create a new one and Netflix is happy again.

No need to wait for the bank to send you a new card in a few days, no need to go change every subscription and online service, no worries about scheduled transactions failing while your cards in limbo.

It reduces risk and admin.

DarkStarZN

I had issues but managed to add my cards using the watch app on my phone. If you go to the Apple Pay section, it shows you cards added to your phone and allows you to add them to your watch
Nope. Not working.

I have a Series 0, which I'm hoping isn't the issue, as the thing is working fine - and there is ZERO indication that that's the problem.

krycor

Honorary Master
Security and control. You’d ideally create one per site that stores card details for subscription or regular purposes. So say one for takealot, another for Spotify and another for Netflix.

If someone hacks into Netflix and makes off with your virtual card details, you destroy the card, create a new one and Netflix is happy again.

No need to wait for the bank to send you a new card in a few days, no need to go change every subscription and online service, no worries about scheduled transactions failing while your cards in limbo.

It reduces risk and admin.

This.. this is also why ideally you have one virtual card for your ad-hoc Apple Pay and another for Apple service.. as the Apple Pay PAN one is more exposed (to merchants).

I think with the combo of virtual cards and Apple Pay, we should “try” (see ecom on virtual card issues locally) and reduce the need for physical card such that it is disabled most of the time.

krycor

Honorary Master
Nope. Not working.

I have a Series 0, which I'm hoping isn't the issue, as the thing is working fine - and there is ZERO indication that that's the problem.

So I had this issue (series 0, original Apple Watch) with Discovery(before I killed the card), where post re-association & wipe (never delete you Apple Watch Bluetooth link) I could not get my card back on there.. kept telling me the watch needs to be upgraded or doesn’t work with it. Weird.

Then yesterday, I figured I’d try watch first and it’s working (for FNB).

ace119

@ace119, FWIW, the transaction is back under pending again this morning.

wonder if VCC’s disappearing from the app had anything to do with it. Seems like their back end systems are held together with some sticky tape and a prayer.

Went for dinner tonight… paid with Apple Pay with the linked Virtual Card. Transaction is no where to be found

And the coffee bought at Seattle on Tuesday is still not under pending!!

Got test messages and in app messages that the kidney has come off. And balance had changed… but no transaction!

Again, this is why I stopped using virtual cards!! They a ****!

ace119

Still can't add it to my Watch.

Is anyone else having problems doing this?

Nope no issues….

Added to my iPhone. iPad. Watch and MacBook. Same on my wife’s devices, iPhone. iPad. Watch and MacBook.

Fusion Plastic Card, Fusion Virtual Card and Credit Plastic Card, Credit Virtual Card.

Only issue I had on the MacBooks was that my verification optima was “Call a number” and that never worked, but I’m after 10min it gave me an option to use Text Message….