Apple Pay South Africa

DarkStarZN

I activated it on FNB earlier this week but only had chance to use it yesterday and today.
I've Apple Paid
- Engen for petrol (phone)
- Engen Woolies quickshop (Watch)
- coffee (Watch) and lunch (phone)
- local tuisnywerheid (Watch)

Worked perfectly every time and dare I say seems more responsive than my physical card.

Also interesting that I wasn't asked for a pin once (and petrol was close to R1000).
I think in this case, the 'pin' is handled by the authentication on the device itself (not sure about the Watch, but to pay you need to authenticate with FaceID or TouchID before it activates the NFC).

I'd imagine with the Watch, since it will automatically lock itself when it's taken off your wrist - so unlikely a bad actor is going to be able to activate it.

Priapus

Executive Member
I activated it on FNB earlier this week but only had chance to use it yesterday and today.
I've Apple Paid

Worked perfectly every time and dare I say seems more responsive than my physical card.

Also interesting that I wasn't asked for a pin once (and petrol was close to R1000).

You won't be asked for a pin code. You will however be asked for the passcode to your iPhone should you try pay with it and FaceID failed (wearing a mask) - but since you have the watch - this part is also taken care of by the system. If you don't have the Watch on and have a mask on; the iPhone will prompt for a passcode.

You will never be asked for a pin code to your card on Apple Pay; regardless of amount. I did an Apple Pay transaction for 12k at Marko and was not asked for passcode or pin code.

Supercarfan

You won't be asked for a pin code. You will however be asked for the passcode to your iPhone should you try pay with it and FaceID failed (wearing a mask) - but since you have the watch - this part is also taken care of by the system. If you don't have the Watch on and have a mask on; the iPhone will prompt for a passcode.
If wearing a mask your phone will still prompt for passcode regardless of whether you're wearing a watch. The watch will only unlock the phone, but not authenticate payments or allow you to log into apps that use FaceID (such as the FNB app).

Last edited:

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
I've Apple Paid

It's lekker hey!

bluepoole

Yea officially they moved it from series 0… but I got it to work again

I also use a series 0, it’s working perfectly. I’m with ABSA and Discovery though. Not sure when they made the change to the compatibility list, back in April it definitely didn’t say only series 1 or later, but regardless, as I say it works 100% on my series 0

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
I've Apple Paid

Agreed, definitely more responsive than the card.

I think they didn’t ask for pin due to you already either entering your Passcode or Face/TouchID to verify.

epah

Expert Member

You will never be asked for a pin code to your card on Apple Pay; regardless of amount. I did an Apple Pay transaction for 12k at Marko and was not asked for passcode or pin code.
i hear you but you are slightly wrong, i have also done very big purchases at makro and never got asked for my pin, however i need to enter my pin everytime at the Chateaux gateu in Pineslopes centre, i usually buy a coffee from there.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
i hear you but you are slightly wrong, i have also done very big purchases at makro and never got asked for my pin, however i need to enter my pin everytime at the Chateaux gateu in Pineslopes centre, i usually buy a coffee from there.
I think the term is pre-arm.
Prefer TouchID, but the idea is you rest your finger on reader, your iPhone will display unlocked at the top and you can just tap away. I assume something similar is done for FaceID.
Edit: Assumed it was device unlock.

PIN requirement on the POS device, is purely based on the merchant. Never encountered it.

Last edited:

Louis72

Expert Member

Never got asked for a pin before with Apple Pay. Only entering passcode/face ID

epah

Expert Member
I think the term is pre-arm.
Prefer TouchID, but the idea is you rest your finger on reader, your iPhone will display unlocked at the top and you can just tap away. I assume something similar is done for FaceID.
Edit: Assumed it was device unlock.

PIN requirement on the POS device, is purely based on the merchant. Never encountered it.
i use a watch so no need for face ID, the chateaux speed point requires my card pin ever single time i use my watch.

krycor

Honorary Master
And here I am still struggling to add it to my watch.

Think maybe being on the iOS15 beta has something to do with it?

Tough one to answer as I’m not sure how the 5 parts interact ie Apple iPhone, iOS, watch app, watchOS, apple watch hardware.

So after it refused to work with my Discovery card, I just gave up and waited for FNB and figured I’d give it a try. As mentioned previously.. the only different thing I did was put on watch and not iPhone wallet 1st. (Previously ad add to wallet and then use watch app to put on phone)

I’d speculate and say the watch app itself has the restriction, so an older iOS **might** not have the same level of restriction nor the wallet app on it?

Last edited:

krycor

Honorary Master
I also use a series 0, it’s working perfectly. I’m with ABSA and Discovery though. Not sure when they made the change to the compatibility list, back in April it definitely didn’t say only series 1 or later, but regardless, as I say it works 100% on my series 0

At one stage I was half convinced it was an issuer restriction but not sure as initially it worked on discovery.

Anyway.. I’m not gonna change anything as I fear losing access again. Might be time for a new Apple Watch.. but I’m waiting for a compelling feature.. the cellular, gps etc is all cool.. but I dunno.. mine does what I need it to do for now.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
i use a watch so no need for face ID, the chateaux speed point requires my card pin ever single time i use my watch.
A lot of conflicting info, Apple in some cases says it’s a transaction amount issue.
Others saying because the merchants don’t support CDCVM so your PIN is needed to process the transaction with the original card number.

It’s confusing because payments in the US aren’t aligned/backwards compared to the EU.

Supercarfan

Wonder if they would request pin with a virtual card. Neither my Discovery or FNB virtual cards have the option to create a pin.

ab-user

Expert Member
At least the merchants you guys frequent ask for pins. Checkers (and only Checkers so far) still ask for a signature on Apple Pay.

I’m running out of short sarcastic phrases to use

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
At least the merchants you guys frequent ask for pins. Checkers (and only Checkers so far) still ask for a signature on Apple Pay.

I’m running out of short sarcastic phrases to use

They stopped asking me, paid twice this week signature free