Apple Pay South Africa

krycor

Honorary Master
At least the merchants you guys frequent ask for pins. Checkers (and only Checkers so far) still ask for a signature on Apple Pay.

I’m running out of short sarcastic phrases to use

It’s called acquirer abuse of merchants passing risk cost to them.

It’s got little to nothing to do with Merchants per say but rather that when fraud happens, some acquirers skirt the issue and say that if it wasn’t “authorized”, signature as a fall back for pin, they will not cover a fraud incident.

Which is BS as an EMV fraud issue resides with the chip issue ie visa, mc, Apple. Now if the customization caused issue then the bank… but this assumes that the acquiring was correct ie met all conditions, risk eval etc too. Regardless the acquirer doesn’t want to be sitting with nonpayment so passes this to merchant hence they oblige the dumb sign the paper.

Anyway.. it’s the usual merchant covering their arse as PASA hasn’t pushed a campaign on who takes responsibility for x, y or z incident in the variety of situations.. and acquirers using the clout & knowledge to pass risk to merchant who is kinda powerless even if they know it’s complete BS.

Tim_vb

It’s called acquirer abuse of merchants passing risk cost to them.

It’s got little to nothing to do with Merchants per say but rather that when fraud happens, some acquirers skirt the issue and say that if it wasn’t “authorized”, signature as a fall back for pin, they will not cover a fraud incident.

Which is BS as an EMV fraud issue resides with the chip issue ie visa, mc, Apple. Now if the customization caused issue then the bank… but this assumes that the acquiring was correct ie met all conditions, risk eval etc too. Regardless the acquirer doesn’t want to be sitting with nonpayment so passes this to merchant hence they oblige the dumb sign the paper.

Anyway.. it’s the usual merchant covering their arse as PASA hasn’t pushed a campaign on who takes responsibility for x, y or z incident in the variety of situations.. and acquirers using the clout & knowledge to pass risk to merchant who is kinda powerless even if they know it’s complete BS.
merchants can (and should block) fallbacks - the big retailers are in control of their payment tech stacks and often operates their own payment switches, smaller/medium merchants who outsource can switch to different providers. The reason why its not setup correctly is 9/10 old legacy systems that require costly upgrades to support newer payment types

Se@n

First time since Tuesday that I’ve been caught pants down at a till point. TFG group are behind the times, total sports and @home both don’t have contactless enabled on their terminals.
Other than that Apple Pay really is the sh*t.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Realized after setting up Apple pay it's a pain to actually use on my phone because face ID won't work with a mask so it's just simpler tapping my card. My previous Samsung had a fingerprint scanner which made it much easier.

TedLasso

Expert Member
One second to show your face. I don’t find it that annoying.
Well , when I am in public shopping, I don't take my mask off or touch it until I am back in the car with disinfectant ready to wipe hands and phone and then mask comes off.

What if faceid is not enabled? Would you then have to do pin on phone? Not on Apple ecosystem so don't know but was thinking of setting up Apple pay on wife's phone.

Our Garmin watches do it easy enough as it is, but curious if it would offer you phone to enter pin if faceid match did not work

prOd

Expert Member
Realized after setting up Apple pay it's a pain to actually use on my phone because face ID won't work with a mask so it's just simpler tapping my card. My previous Samsung had a fingerprint scanner which made it much easier.

Yea, I said the same thing a while back. I did pick up a watch though which makes the payment (and unlocking of your phone) effortless but a Touch ID implementation would've been great. I do miss Touch ID :(

bluepoole

One second to show your face. I don’t find it that annoying.
Exactly. In the very unlikely event where I don’t have my watch on, I quickly pull the mask down, FaceID registers, and I put it back on. It is really a one second manoeuvre, the COVID virus needs to be bloody quick and good to get me in that one second!

krycor

Honorary Master

Why living in the ecosystem with an Apple Watch rocks socks..

we do still have merchants that haven’t upgraded their POS systems albeit acquiring bank and device supports it..

Eg Stodels.. only has emv.

I think we should compile a name, shame, offer assistance list for contactless.. if only it was that easy tho. Often it’s an interplay of acquirer software and pos (teller) software which is often proprietary so U can’t even offer to help for free

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
Which Stodels is this? Although I don't use/have Apple pay, I am pretty sure I have used Samsung pay at the Stellenberg branch before

Samsung is not NFC as far as I recall, they did some fancy thing which takes it via the mag strip reader. Samsung pay works on non-tap (EMV) terminals.

ADrunkTeddyBear

Samsung is not NFC as far as I recall, they did some fancy thing which takes it via the mag strip reader. Samsung pay works on non-tap (EMV) terminals.
The normal tap is NFC, and there is some magnet or something that emulates a card swipe on EMV models

samcro

Anyone else having issues adding FNB Gold business credit card. Keeps saying card issuer does not yet offer support. The business gold cheque card added with no issues.

Se@n

Anyone else having issues adding FNB Gold business credit card. Keeps saying card issuer does not yet offer support. The business gold cheque card added with no issues.

Business credit cards aren’t supported. Only cheque cards.