Apple Pay South Africa

Se@n

Only Cheque cards? Surely also Credit cards supported?

7dde4b9f78540846dc09b3679d0ca77c.jpg

Louis72

Expert Member
Credit Cards also work.

Side Note: FNBy (Youth and Students accounts) cards are also supported!
Good to know! Seems like my old Absa Student CC works along with my Premium CC.
Unfortunate for the Business card users tho.

Guess the only reason I still have the Student CC after all these years is because it has zero fees and I started building my credit record with it.

Priapus

Executive Member
I have yet to try out FNB Apple Pay. Got the card loaded, just haven't used it.

stassenjaco

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Yeah very lucky.

I was fortunate as I'd loaded the VC when I got to work and walked round to Woolies mid morning. So I used it before the email went out about the first 1000 people :p

FNB users were hungry for Apple Pay.

Wow, that's a big number. I'm wondering how many people actually went through with the threats to leave though?

Louis72

Expert Member
I was fortunate as I'd loaded the VC when I got to work and walked round to Woolies mid morning. So I used it before the email went out about the first 1000 people :p

Wow, that's a big number. I'm wondering how many people actually went through with the threats to leave though?
Probably got 50 ebucks and a free pen and decided to stay :ROFL:

Nimz

Executive Member
Can other cards (Loyalty / Rewards / ID) be added on wallet like on Samsung Pay?

Just recently switched from Android to iPhone

mccdyl001

Catching up on older messages. What happens if you’ve only set up a virtual card and a merchant asks for the PIN when you use Apple Pay? Is there a way to view/generate a pin in the banking app? Or do you just have to cancel and fall back to a different payment method?

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Catching up on older messages. What happens if you’ve only set up a virtual card and a merchant asks for the PIN when you use Apple Pay? Is there a way to view/generate a pin in the banking app? Or do you just have to cancel and fall back to a different payment method?

Apple Pay doesn't work like that. I've used it plenty times now with a FNB VC and never been asked. I've also used AP overseas plenty times with other banks and they never ask for PINs. A PIN is to ensure your card has not been stolen or lifted by someone and they try to use fraudulently, but with AP your identity is verified by the Face ID or fingerprint on your phone so no need for a PIN.

Tim_vb

Your device's security architecture (faceID + secure element) is certified to stand in for the PIN. How Apple Pay (and friends) work

epah

Expert Member
Apple Pay doesn't work like that. I've used it plenty times now with a FNB VC and never been asked. I've also used AP overseas plenty times with other banks and they never ask for PINs. A PIN is to ensure your card has not been stolen or lifted by someone and they try to use fraudulently, but with AP your identity is verified by the Face ID or fingerprint on your phone so no need for a PIN.
once again this is false, i buy coffee 4 times a week from Chateaux in pineslopes with my watch and it asks for pin every single time.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
once again this is false, i buy coffee 4 times a week from Chateaux in pineslopes with my watch and it asks for pin every single time.

Oh okay, fair enough. I stand corrected but I guess there would be some people paranoid enough not to trust Face ID or a fingerprint. Did you ask them why? Seems a bit stupid.

krycor

Honorary Master
Which Stodels is this? Although I don't use/have Apple pay, I am pretty sure I have used Samsung pay at the Stellenberg branch before

Milnerton.. ps doesn’t Samsung pay do mag emulation as well..

Contactless mag & even has mag emulation where device “reads” mag strip via some special tech without card.. though I’d think most acquirers would disable this as it’s not very safe.