Apple Pay South Africa

epah

Expert Member
I usually prepare my phone while they ringing up the last stuff. Waste no time. :)
Yeah thats because you are not an idiot, sadly the rest of the people are, i have seen people struggling with their phones whilst holding their card in the other hand. Queues at a stand still coz some idiot wants to show us how "cool" it is to pay with a phone.

_kabal_

Expert Member
I basically only use Apple Pay now.

Much easier to take phone out than taking your wallet out and then removing your card

Leno

Expert Member
I only use Apple Pay now, but keep a few hundred cash in the car just in case

The coffee shop often has their card machines go down but they do have snapscan as a backup

The problem now is where to keep my drivers license :laugh:

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
I only use Apple Pay now, but keep a few hundred cash in the car just in case

The coffee shop often has their card machines go down but they do have snapscan as a backup

The problem now is where to keep my drivers license :laugh:

Cash, have not had that in like 6 years, I have a strict “jammer om van jou kak te hoor” policy on that.

As for drivers, I have one of them “wallet” cases on my i11 which takes 2 cards, one of which is the backup CC for those like 3 places that don’t tap and then my DL.

I’ll get a MagSafe when I get the new phone.

Priapus

Executive Member
Easier? It's not like your doing a heart transplant.

Is that what we need to compare things to, to meet the bar of "Easier"

So, its easier for me to get into my car than walk to the shops. But I should still walk, because that's easier than a heart transplant?

I use AP all the time now on my watch, very convenient. I use it on my phone when the POS is in an awkward position that getting my write to it, watch face down, would be tricky.

Also been using AP online at some sites. Can't wait until its rolled out to local apps (Uber Eats, Mr D, Takealot, etc)

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master

So, its easier for me to get into my car than walk to the shops. But I should still walk, because that's easier than a heart transplant?

I use AP all the time now on my watch, very convenient. I use it on my phone when the POS is in an awkward position that getting my write to it, watch face down, would be tricky.

Also been using AP online at some sites. Can't wait until its rolled out to local apps (Uber Eats, Mr D, Takealot, etc)
Just to be clear, I wasn't talking about the complexity, but the time to do the transaction. Both paying with a bank card and paying via AP, is the same to me. I see no difference in time or complexity that would make the one easier than the other. Bragging rights is to be had with AP, yes.

It's probably easier than this:

iu

prOd

Expert Member

Some people are just incapable of letting other people enjoy things in life...

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Just to be clear, I wasn't talking about the complexity, but the time to do the transaction. Both paying with a bank card and paying via AP, is the same to me. I see no difference in time or complexity that would make the one easier than the other. Bragging rights is to be had with AP, yes.

iu

Genuine curiosity - have you actually used AP yourself?

Priapus

Executive Member

iu

Spoken like someone who's never used AP.

You cannot convince me for 1 nano second that paying via my Watch vs my card "is the same thing" It simply isn't.

Some people are just incapable of letting other people enjoy things in life...

Sadly.

krycor

Honorary Master
Got asked to insert card the other day at Engen albeit I tapped the POS with watch. So.. don’t leave home without card at all as it seems to ask for it at some point.

Wrt teller awkwardness.. one would think this would force or aid customer focus in payments with retailers but it hasn’t yet.

Now I get that unless there is loyalty involved or some other user action initiated upon scan of 1st time, the teller doesn’t know.. but most of the teller POS seem to have a manual process/screen that asks the teller what the payment form will be. WHY? Teller doesn’t know.. customer does.

To me it seems obvious that the POS machine should be asked to display a menu which allows users to chose the form of payment… if they don’t offer loyalty throw this as soon as 1st item is scanned.. that and cashback.

Want to be even cooler as a retailer? Let the customer set this up while in the queue and as they scan the qr to auth, send those preferences to the teller machine and viola, no need to touch anything. Faster checkout.. magic.

Ps. The hold up is usually pos software, teller pos integration software (that screen teller is using) and/or how the loyalty app or system integrates.. we in 2021/2 it annoys me that the sector is so slow

Dave

Honorary Master
Got asked to insert card the other day at Engen albeit I tapped the POS with watch. So.. don’t leave home without card at all as it seems to ask for it at some point.

Presumably a teething problem or a bank specific initiated thing, I’ve been using AP in the UK for around six years now (with four different banks) and have never had to insert card and I use AP multiple times per day.

3WA

Honorary Master

Don't you ever walk to the garage in your loose sweat pants, where the elastic is only strong enough to hold them up if you have your phone or your wallet, but not both? Sometimes, leaving the wallet behind is the difference between getting your Cornetto or getting arrested for being pantsless in public.

Turing

Used AP for the first time today and it is really convenient to just double tap a button on your watch to pay. I don't see myself fiddling with my card again unless the POS device doesn't support tapping.

krycor

Honorary Master
Presumably a teething problem or a bank specific initiated thing, I’ve been using AP in the UK for around six years now (with four different banks) and have never had to insert card and I use AP multiple times per day.

Yah it was weird.. as I’ve never seen that happen before.. this was after using without card since introduction.

This was a FNB virtual card via Apple Pay on a FNB terminal..

Wife got asked to type in a pin a few times too.. weird.. thankfully I saw the thing about pin so she knows it doesn’t matter.

pozmans

Spoken like someone who's never used AP.

You cannot convince me for 1 nano second that paying via my Watch vs my card "is the same thing" It simply isn't.

Sadly.

I’ve loaded all 3 of my cards onto both my phone and watch and couldn’t be any happier. It’s been months since I carried a wallet in my pocket and a breeze just walking out the house with my phone and car keys.

Can’t wait until our IDs go digital then i can remove my drivers license from my phone cover.