Apple Pay South Africa

Hush9300

Expert Member
Got asked to insert card the other day at Engen albeit I tapped the POS with watch. So.. don’t leave home without card at all as it seems to ask for it at some point.

GPS only or GPS/Cellular Apple Watch?

Wrt teller awkwardness.. one would think this would force or aid customer focus in payments with retailers but it hasn’t yet.

Now I get that unless there is loyalty involved or some other user action initiated upon scan of 1st time, the teller doesn’t know.. but most of the teller POS seem to have a manual process/screen that asks the teller what the payment form will be. WHY? Teller doesn’t know.. customer does.

To me it seems obvious that the POS machine should be asked to display a menu which allows users to chose the form of payment… if they don’t offer loyalty throw this as soon as 1st item is scanned.. that and cashback.

Want to be even cooler as a retailer? Let the customer set this up while in the queue and as they scan the qr to auth, send those preferences to the teller machine and viola, no need to touch anything. Faster checkout.. magic.

Ps. The hold up is usually pos software, teller pos integration software (that screen teller is using) and/or how the loyalty app or system integrates.. we in 2021/2 it annoys me that the sector is so slow

Apple Pay and the payment terminals already have this baked in. Apple Pay and Wallet automatically selects the correct loyalty card, provided it is stored in wallet and automatic selection is turned on, when paying. No need to scan or authenticate... Everything happens via NFC upon presentation of watch or phone. It's just not supported here because, well, retailers don't support Wallet yet.

Presumably a teething problem or a bank specific initiated thing, I’ve been using AP in the UK for around six years now (with four different banks) and have never had to insert card and I use AP multiple times per day.

I'm thinking that it is more likely that he exceeded the amount of offline transactions allowed if he uses a GPS only Apple Watch.

Priapus

Executive Member
GPS only or GPS/Cellular Apple Watch?

Doesn't matter. You can make a purchase with AP own your phone or Watch with zero data or signal. It communicates with the POS directly and the shops payment system contacts the bank.

Oversimplified; it works exactly like your physical card does.

Dave

Honorary Master

Doubt anyone has their Visa cards set up for express travel

It’s not even available in SA.

Where you can use Apple Pay with Express Travel mode​

Depending on the transport agency, you may be able to set up a travel or payment card in Wallet to use with Express Travel mode.*
Find out some of the countries and regions where you can use Express Travel mode to pay for public transport with Apple Pay.
*Not all public transport and payment cards are supported. Check with your public transport agency for information about the cards that you can use with Apple Pay for travel.

China mainland​

Finland​

Hong Kong​

Japan​

United Kingdom​

• All First Bus Group travel operators
  • London: Transport for London (TfL) accepts payment cards in Wallet

United States​

• Chicago: All forms of public transport that accept Ventra
  • Los Angeles: All public transport operators that accept the TAP Card in Wallet
  • New York City: Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) accepts payment cards in Wallet at selected stations
  • Portland: All forms of transport that accept Hop Fastpass also accept payment cards in Wallet
  • San Francisco Bay Area: All travel operators that accept the Clipper card
  • Washington, DC: All public transport operators that accept the SmarTrip card in Wallet

krycor

Honorary Master
Wrt to watch.. I have, still rocking, an Apple Watch original.. , so no gps. For that transaction I had phone in pocket and they were connected to each other.

One day when they get a new compelling feature I will upgrade. Was thinking this year.. but now thinking maybe next.

Wrt to loyalty on Apple Pay.. yes that would rock but not quite what I meant.. I guess this would mean u preselect preference in the store app so I can get a seamless identification and payment at till point via Apple Pay.

Anyone know why this has not happen yet! Ie why there is no loyalty integration yet.

Lastly a year or more ago, I think I was in Gauteng still, they were talking about allowing contactless on the go at Gautrain & Bus. Anyone know if this system allows Apple Pay too? Also any news on gold card going transit card via Apple Pay? What about contactless Airline support (currently it’s scanned).

Dave

Honorary Master
If you check settings , you have the option to use a bank card

Express Travel mode isn’t just using a bank card. It’s a setting specific transport groups can offer where the phone or watch will work on those transport readers without being unlocked.

It is not offered in SA.

It’s in the link I posted, if only you’d read it…

Use Express Travel with Apple Pay​

Quickly pay for journeys with Apple Pay using Express Travel on your iPhone and Apple Watch without having to wake or unlock your device, or open an app. You don't even need to validate with Face ID, Touch ID or your passcode.

What you need to use Express Travel with Apple Pay​

Hush9300

Expert Member
Doesn't matter. You can make a purchase with AP own your phone or Watch with zero data or signal. It communicates with the POS directly and the shops payment system contacts the bank.

Oversimplified; it works exactly like your physical card does.
Nobody said any different but you will be asked for a pin when you exceed x number offline transactions.

Hush9300

Expert Member
Yeah no, that's not how it works.
Point 13...

You just don't notice it as chances are your device is online because your phone is in your pocket. I also had to present my card one Saturday for what I assume was excessive offline transactions because may phone battery went flat. What resolved the issue was enabling cellular on the Apple Watch.

Attachments

• ApplePayFAQs.pdf
    881.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Hush9300

Expert Member
To be fair that is not semantics, it’s an entirely different result.
How so? You still don't have unfettered offline transactions as claimed...

An easy fix for a Cellular Apple Watch but for someone with a GPS only watch it could present a problem if you don't have your card or iPhone at hand.

Last edited:

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master

An easy fix for a Cellular Apple Watch but for someone with a GPS only watch it could present a problem if you don't have your card or iPhone at hand.
Easier just not to bank with FNB

Dave

Honorary Master

Your claim was that after x offline transactions the process will ask for a pin, which would appear to be wrong as the process linked shows it will just decline the transaction.

As an fyi, in six years I have never been asked for a pin with AP.