Apple Pay South Africa

iWish

I’ve tried since yesterday to add a virtual card to FNB Apple Pay. I keep getting the message “contact the card issuer”.
I’ve tried to add the virtual card manually too. Didn’t work.
Any idea what the problem can be?

Leno

Expert Member
I’ve tried since yesterday to add a virtual card to FNB Apple Pay. I keep getting the message “contact the card issuer”.
I’ve tried to add the virtual card manually too. Didn’t work.
Any idea what the problem can be?
I was trying this morning from my new phone and also had an issue

Not sure if you are on a new phone or you have just loaded the fnb app, but in the past your new app/phone used to be on an untrusted "profile" for a while and you could only make small transactions, not sure if this is still the case

iWish

I was trying this morning from my new phone and also had an issue

Not sure if you are on a new phone or you have just loaded the fnb app, but in the past your new app/phone used to be on an untrusted "profile" for a while and you could only make small transactions, not sure if this is still the case

I have 2 virtual cards loaded since Apple Pay launched on FNB.
Still having issues with loading a third. Nothing changed form my side. Still the same phone. I am on Apple beta software.
Anyway. Must be a system thing from FNB. Not a crisis. I’ll wait and try again later the week.

Nimz

Executive Member
Just bought an Apple watch and having issues adding my Virtual card to the watch

The verify option say app or phone - tried both with no luck

Tried the previous suggestions on the thread, removing, re-adding manually etc still no luck

Could it be an issue on FNB's side?

Grumpy Old Man

Just bought an Apple watch and having issues adding my Virtual card to the watch

Tried the previous suggestions on the thread, removing, re-adding manually etc still no luck

Try adding your cards from the Apple Wallet instead of the FNB app and choose verify by phone when prompted.

epah

Expert Member

Can’t help but you are gonna love paying with the watch, you will realize how paying with a phone is so 2015. Crongrats and enjoy.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Anyone managed to draw cash at a till with Apple Pay?

I just want to know if Checkers is full of **** or if it’s not possible.

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
Anyone managed to draw cash at a till with Apple Pay?

I just want to know if Checkers is full of **** or if it’s not possible.

Last time I drew cash, it didn’t work when tapping even with a card, that was at PnP, I tapped and it told me to eff off.

You have to insert or swipe to draw cash, until such time as you can insert your watch you’ll need the real plastic thingy for the times when you feeling nostalgic for the good old days…

More importantly, WTH you need cash for… lol

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Last time I drew cash, it didn’t work when tapping even with a card, that was at PnP, I tapped and it told me to eff off.

You have to insert or swipe to draw cash, until such time as you can insert your watch you’ll need the real plastic thingy for the times when you feeling nostalgic for the good old days…

Yeah that’s been exactly my experience.

Sadly I need to draw cash every three months or so as my domestic wants at least a R50-R100 for transport and that’s not going away.

Not the end of the world, but annoying. Especially now that FNB has changed their tune and this year ATM’s aren’t cool any more and you need to use Tills again.

Cardless Cash withdrawal was great.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Yeah I suspect this has nothing to with Apple Pay and simply is the bank (and likely their insurer) forcing it.

epah

Expert Member
When i have time i am going to go to one of those Tap ATMS and see if it works there.

krycor

Honorary Master

Not sure about now but I do remember that contactless cash @ till wasn’t allowed when introduced. Has that changed? (PASA regulation if I recall correctly.. if I remember correctly it’s to prevent stolen cards getting cash though you can force pin and it’s an online transaction.. but yah.. regulation doesn’t allow it)

The teller lady should actually tell you to insert the card if they haven’t disabled the contactless aspect for a transaction with cash back.

Last edited:

epah

Expert Member
Not sure about now but I do remember that contactless cash @ till wasn’t allowed when introduced. Has that changed? (PASA regulation if I recall correctly.. if I remember correctly it’s to prevent stolen cards getting cash though you can force pin and it’s an online transaction.. but yah.. regulation doesn’t allow it)

The teller lady should actually tell you to insert the card if they haven’t disabled the contactless aspect for a transaction with cash back.
you still cant tap for cashback at any till