Apple Pay South Africa

krycor

Honorary Master
It’s actually an interesting rule if you think about it.. you can steal goods & services but not cash with a picked up contactless card.

I guess they didn’t trust all merchants to force online with pin? Can’t remember the emv + tacs etc. meh..

Ps.

Anyone know when peer-to-peer credit card transfers go live? Ie ApplePay P2P etc

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
It’s actually an interesting rule if you think about it.. you can steal goods & services but not cash with a picked up contactless card.

I guess they didn’t trust all merchants to force online with pin? Can’t remember the emv + tacs etc. meh..

Ps.

Anyone know when peer-to-peer credit card transfers go live? Ie ApplePay P2P etc

Within reason hey, Apple Pay is an exception to the tap rule, most merchants have a tap limit at which point you need a pin.

There is a security risk that merchants take on, at least there was initially which is why so few had it implemented, that may have changed now.

Basically if a merchant enabled tap, they took on the fraud risk, not the bank. So if a card was stolen and used, the banks would refund the client from the stores money, basically reverse the transaction.

There is obviously a different arrangement with Apple, but at one stage PnPs limit was 500, then I heard it had increased to 1500, not sure if it’s still at that.

Basically that means PnP would accept a fraud loss of up to 1500, above that a pin would be required and then it’s the clients problem for both having lost their card AND pin.

So it is all mitigated.

My guess is if it happens with Apple Pay it’s a user problem as in order to use that either a pin or biometrics are required to enable the tap to pay and if a watch is removed a pin is required to enable it in order to enable the payments. Therefor no terminal pin required.

ebendl

Expert Member
Within reason hey, Apple Pay is an exception to the tap rule, most merchants have a tap limit at which point you need a pin.

My guess is if it happens with Apple Pay it’s a user problem as in order to use that either a pin or biometrics are required to enable the tap to pay and if a watch is removed a pin is required to enable it in order to enable the payments. Therefor no terminal pin required.
This makes Apple Pay pretty awesome, especially with a swatch.

I've only had one place (Outdoor Warehouse) where their machines still required a card to be inserted above a certain amount - and it was kinda annoying.

The other advantage which I've found useful is that I can now have my wife's ABSA card "with me" at all times, and she can have my FNB card with her at all times -- without having to swop (and remember) each other's pins.

Pho3nix

The Legend
Standard Bank are live with Apple Pay. I just added my Private Banking VISA debit card to phone and watch.

So I get until here

49779f0db461ec2e63fd4b96ad1c36fe.jpg

Then it breaks. Using a Professional Cheque Card

Pho3nix

The Legend
I could only add my Visa cheque card though. Couldn't add Mastercard.

My Cheque card is also Visa. Maybe they are enabling specific card BINs at the moment.

Hopefully other standard bank customers will check this out. Have you made a payment as yet?

rlord182

My Cheque card is also Visa. Maybe they are enabling specific card BINs at the moment.

Hopefully other standard bank customers will check this out. Have you made a payment as yet?
No, haven't tried using it yet. I literally just added the card 15 minutes ago :)

Pho3nix

The Legend
Got this.. hours after I tried to initiate the process. Think it's linked to the beta app Staff use at the moment

ef9d11c26e63d8701aadc0c7c0c67e31.jpg

Edit : my Cheque card was actually disabled on the mobile app so reactivated it's and got here. Activation is bugged though

02bdbb31bbc08c4cfa3d335fd1da518c.jpg

Standard Bank also not listed on the Apple Support page so maybe next week?

Last edited:

Pho3nix

The Legend
Anyone with Mastercard that got their card on Apple Pay?

All my current cards are Visa and wondering if my CC will be available when Standard gets their story sorted

GrasKarp

Got an SMS this morning stating that I need to login into the app to complete the setup. I see nothing on the app 0_o