Apple Pay South Africa

ECHLN

This feature doesn't require an update. Its dependant on the banks. None of them fully support this atm.
The banks do support it. It’s up to Apple to flip the switch. When I called Discovery, they said everything is ready on their side. They were/still waiting for Apple.

genetic

Honorary Master
This feature doesn't require an update. Its dependant on the banks. None of them fully support this atm.

All major local banks support NFC payments now. Apple has not supported it locally yet their side.

Priapus

Executive Member
All major local banks support NFC payments now. Apple has not supported it locally yet their side.

Right, but its for local banks to agree to the charges have that are associated with this payment system that the banks need to agree. So Apple and local banks both need to come to the table to have it working.

genetic

Honorary Master
Right, but its for local banks to agree to the charges have that are associated with this payment system that the banks need to agree. So Apple and local banks both need to come to the table to have it working.

Yes, it's an agreement that's outstanding. FNB Pay, Samsung Pay, Garmin Pay etc have been available for years. FNB for instance enabled NFC payment services to their clients 6 years ago already, with Samsung jumping onboard locally in 2018.

Bobby01

Must be close. ABSA, Nedbank and Discovery all released app updates on the AppStore in the past 3 days. Not that I think it needs an app update, but maybe the update just might show the card is linked to an Apple Wallet or a 'how to link' guide.

But none of the app update descriptions mention Apple Pay.

Timmytjie

Does this maybe mean Apple pay to track where apple pay has be used for accurate transaction history 29539EA9-F35C-4CE1-AF11-07F954A0AD3E.jpeg
Must be close. ABSA, Nedbank and Discovery all released app updates on the AppStore in the past 3 days. Not that I think it needs an app update, but maybe the update just might show the card is linked to an Apple Wallet or a 'how to link' guide.

But none of the app update descriptions mention Apple Pay.

whatwhat

Executive Member
App update isn't needed to support Apple Pay. App has no role in this.

You add the card, it sends an sms to verify that you want to enable it and that's it.

HumanShield

un
Does this maybe mean Apple pay to track where apple pay has be used for accurate transaction history View attachment 995630
Unfortunately not. This has been in the changelog for the previous update as well if I recall. Sorry to rain on your parade but it's not. They don't need to update the app to get Apple Pay to work.

genetic

Honorary Master
un

Unfortunately not. This has been in the changelog for the previous update as well if I recall. Sorry to rain on your parade but it's not. They don't need to update the app to get Apple Pay to work.
Yip. FNB's description of the update is pretty clear if you actually read it.

Timmytjie

un

Agree update to bank app is not needed for Apple pay to work but they may add additional features to the app to make maximum use of Apple pay maybe thought fnb might include the option when you pay with apple pay the app log your location on purchase to give better transactions data in-app.

HumanShield

Agree update to bank app is not needed for Apple pay to work but they may add additional features to the app to make maximum use of Apple pay maybe thought fnb might include the option when you pay with apple pay the app log your location on purchase to give better transactions data in-app.
Fair point. Only when you're using Apple Pay you're not interacting with the FNB App. Unless the location is on all the time, it might log your location.