Apple Pay South Africa

Bobby01

Awesome information here. It seems the banks are ready but apple is dragging its feet. Eish

I some how doubt its Apple. Apple is bat **** crazy about security and user experience and maybe the banks are not meeting Apples standards. Maybe adding a card isn't as smooth as Apple wants it to be (like timeouts or taking long to load a card, etc). Every day this functionality isn't turned on, Apple is losing out on money per transaction via Apple Pay, and if its one thing Apple likes more than user experience, build quality and ease of use, its money....

I can be wrong, but you can't deny that Apple is a well oiled machine...

epah

Expert Member
Nedbank doing their best to keep this exciting.
0159c16efec2107324786a865911a7c5.jpg
i dont know whether your posts make me happy or even more upset, keep them coming though.

Timmytjie

Called FNB for information about apple pay but they don’t want to give out any information only told me users will be notified once the functionality is available.

Jacada

Oh well, so at least "it's coming". Then again so was Half-Life 3...

epah

Expert Member
Called FNB for information about apple pay but they don’t want to give out any information only told me users will be notified once the functionality is available.
lol, I hope its released on the same day as the other banks or else i will have to open an account at either nedbank or discovery.

Hush9300

Expert Member
Wonder if FNB delaying their virtual cards has anything to do with the imminent launch of Apple Pay...

HumanShield

Wonder if FNB delaying their virtual cards has anything to do with the imminent launch of Apple Pay...
Didn't they try to roll out the virtual cards one weekend and it zeroed people's credit cards and people were stuck at petrol stations and at shops with no money on their cards. Which then prompted them to push back the launch to sometime later this year?

But it is plausible.

Hush9300

Expert Member
Didn't they try to roll out the virtual cards one weekend and it zeroed people's credit cards and people were stuck at petrol stations and at shops with no money on their cards. Which then prompted them to push back the launch to sometime later this year?

But it is plausible.
It could be but I don't see the connection between the credit card and virtual card. The credit cards were blocked prior to the supposed official launch of the virtual cards.

HumanShield

It could be but I don't see the connection between the credit card and virtual card. The credit cards were blocked prior to the supposed official launch of the virtual cards.
I remember it with the dates coinciding.

FNB Blocked cards on 15 November: https://mybroadband.co.za/news/banking/375747-fnb-blocks-customer-credit-cards-without-warning.html
FNB Delays Virtual Card launch on 16 November: https://mybroadband.co.za/news/banking/375827-fnb-delays-virtual-card-launch-until-2021.html

Card CEO did say that the two were unrelated though.

epah

Expert Member
so no one on this technology forum works for a bank and can tell us whats actually happening?

cdvy

so no one on this technology forum works for a bank and can tell us whats actually happening?
The novelty wears off after a few uses.. I’ve been using a Tap card and Garmin pay for a while, it’s amazing, but when merchants machines don’t work or don’t accept contactless payments then it becomes bothersome.

epah

Expert Member
The novelty wears off after a few uses.. I’ve been using a Tap card and Garmin pay for a while, it’s amazing, but when merchants machines don’t work or don’t accept contactless payments then it becomes bothersome.
yeah well i still want it, i would rather have the novelty wear off than feel like this for the next two years. Also in the past two years i havent seen a merchant who doesnt have tap n pay enabled. I mean even ATMs have tap n go now.

ECHLN

I know someone. They were the ones that told me last year [here] that Apple Pay would come to SA. They don't know when it will comes out. They said they were given a generic response to people that ask about Apple Pay because they have everything done on their end. They are just waiting for Apple. This is Discovery Bank by the way.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
yeah well i still want it, i would rather have the novelty wear off than feel like this for the next two years. Also in the past two years i havent seen a merchant who doesnt have tap n pay enabled. I mean even ATMs have tap n go now.
I've been using Apple Pay in SA for a while now.

It's pretty cool, you should get it ;)

epah

Expert Member
I know someone. They were the ones that told me last year [here] that Apple Pay would come to SA. They don't know when it will comes out. They said they were given a generic response to people that ask about Apple Pay because they have everything done on their end. They are just waiting for Apple. This is Discovery Bank by the way.
Thank you sir. always appreciate your posts.