Apple Pay South Africa

cdvy

I do like the tap and go functionality at parking booms, so in that sense it’ll be awesome.

I wonder if it will be as instant as it works overseas.

Pho3nix

The Legend
I do like the tap and go functionality at parking booms, so in that sense it’ll be awesome.

I wonder if it will be as instant as it works overseas.

Should be.. it was with Monzo

Spizz

Goat Botherer
I've been using Apple Pay in SA for a while now.

It's pretty cool, you should get it ;)

What region is your Apple account set to? Just wondering about adding cards from other countries and I know you have US interests as well as UK and SA.

I have a UK account and also have Monzo set up in the wallet, but just now when I tried to add my Discovery card (just checking you never know :) ) and it didn't work, I clicked on the "Learn More" button and it gave me a list of supported banks in the UK. I googled a bit but not such clear up to date info if I can add an SA bank when it becomes available.

ludi85

Yet another day with no progress. sigh
Looking at the go-live trend for other regions, Apple usually releases Apple Pay on a Tuesday, with one or two exceptions for releases that took place on a Wednesday or Thursday. Monday was a public holiday in the states, and that could have delayed a Tuesday launch, so hopefully, we make the exception list and get it today or tomorrow. :)

In the past, Apple has confirmed Apple Pay launch timing for other regions in their First Quarter Results, scheduled for next week the 27th, so if we don't see it this week, hopefully, we get more information next week.

I would guess that Apple will want to use one of their platforms (Keynote, First Quarter Results or Shareholders meeting) to announce this as it will be the first expansion of this service into the African continent, so it should be a big deal for them!

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
What region is your Apple account set to? Just wondering about adding cards from other countries and I know you have US interests as well as UK and SA.
My phone is currently set to UK region (I dislike weeks starting on a Monday) but I use accounts from South Africa, UK and US.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
My phone is currently set to UK region (I dislike weeks starting on a Monday) but I use accounts from South Africa, UK and US.

Ah okay. So I'd guess you change account to register the card in that country, but does it stay in the wallet and you can use it no matter what account you are signed in to?

Se@n

Looking at the go-live trend for other regions, Apple usually releases Apple Pay on a Tuesday, with one or two exceptions for releases that took place on a Wednesday or Thursday. Monday was a public holiday in the states, and that could have delayed a Tuesday launch, so hopefully, we make the exception list and get it today or tomorrow. :)

In the past, Apple has confirmed Apple Pay launch timing for other regions in their First Quarter Results, scheduled for next week the 27th, so if we don't see it this week, hopefully, we get more information next week.

I would guess that Apple will want to use one of their platforms (Keynote, First Quarter Results or Shareholders meeting) to announce this as it will be the first expansion of this service into the African continent, so it should be a big deal for them!

Have they ever released completely silently in a new region?

epah

Expert Member

thank you, that was a good read

Charlesjjm

The novelty wears off after a few uses.. I’ve been using a Tap card and Garmin pay for a while, it’s amazing, but when merchants machines don’t work or don’t accept contactless payments then it becomes bothersome.
Nope. I still enjoy tapping my watch to pay for stuff.

ECHLN

The novelty wears off after a few uses.. I’ve been using a Tap card and Garmin pay for a while, it’s amazing, but when merchants machines don’t work or don’t accept contactless payments then it becomes bothersome.
It’s what I miss most about Samsung Pay. I never carried my wallet when I used that. I wish Apple could implement MST in some way for Apple Pay but Samsung and LG have the patents for that.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
It’s what I miss most about Samsung Pay. I never carried my wallet when I used that. I wish Apple could implement MST in some way for Apple Pay but Samsung and LG have the patents for that.

Here I've been led to believe that Apple are the baddies when it comes to patent lock in.

$m@Rt@$$

Expert Member
True, but then again I can't remember when last I got to a paypoint that doesn't have a contactless PED.

ECHLN

I haven't been to a retailer who hasn't got tap to pay in a few months

Edit: I think Covid helped the adoption
This is true. It’s only the Gautrain and MyCiti stops that I’d have to use my bank card