Apple Pay South Africa

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I haven't been to a retailer who hasn't got tap to pay in a few months

Edit: I think Covid helped the adoption
Checkers annoys me - whenever I use ApplePay I have to sign.

ace119

Try this company, I use my FNB card/s as the underlying bank.... and use the curve card as an Apple Pay card. FNB sees my curve card purchases (physical card or Apple Pay) as an online purchase. And I get Apple Pay without needing to fund another bank account or card!!

I’ve had Apple Pay on this card for a year or so now. Brilliant!

Got the curve card sent to family overseas, who just sent me a pic of the card details to activate the app.

Had to create a free “Monese” account to activate the curve card, as they want an international card to activate it initially. But afterwards I’ve added numerous FNB cards and new cards and use Apple Pay with no issues.

Recently they removed their app from the “US” App Store. So also had to create a “UK” Apple ID account to install the app and get updates.

But totally worth it.

Apple Pay on my iPhone and my Apple Watch!!

Last edited:

whatwhat

Executive Member
lol, just wait.

It was launched in 2014, having to wait a week or three isn't that much in the grand scheme of things.

Se@n

If you still need to scan then it’s pointless. I want NFC

I don’t want to scan anything - scan to pay on the FNB app is the slowest most pointless payment mechanism Eva. Much easier to use snapscan but once Apple Pay is here I hardly see the need for scan to pay.

Se@n

I see it's back... Have you signed up for a virtual card?

I actually managed to get one on the day they made them live last year. Have it linked to my Admyt account. Can’t really see the hype I have to say, I’m sure it is safer for online tho.

Hush9300

Expert Member
I actually managed to get one on the day they made them live last year. Have it linked to my Admyt account. Can’t really see the hype I have to say, I’m sure it is safer for online tho.
I’m going to sign up for 2... One for subs and the other for online purchases.

Bobby01

Its safer yes. But I got a virtual card with Discovery last year and linked all my online services to debit amounts from the virtual card. So Netflix, Admyt, Rain, iTunes etc. The benefit of linking those services to a virtual card is that when the virtual card expires, it automatically renews and you won't have to update any of your services with a new card number, expiry date, etc

But other than the above, I dont see much else benefit. Maybe our banks are rolling out virtual cards to link to Apple Pay instead of a physical card ? It still links to your credit card, but feels safer if the Apple Pay is linked to the virtual card.

neoprema

Expert Member
i've just moved from FNB to Nedbank as I was tired of FNB's service (or lack thereof) , not gonna miss the virtual card. But I do want Apply Pay now :love:

HumanShield

Try this company, I use my FNB card/s as the underlying bank.... and use the curve card as an Apple Pay card. FNB sees my curve card purchases (physical card or Apple Pay) as an online purchase. And I get Apple Pay without needing to fund another bank account or card!!

I’ve had Apple Pay on this card for a year or so now. Brilliant!

Got the card sent to family overseas. Had to create a free “Monese” account to activate the curve card, as they want an international card to activate it initially. But afterwards I’ve added numerous FNB cards and new cards and use Apple Pay with no issues.

Recently they removed their app from the “US” App Store. So also had to create a “UK” Apple ID account to install the app and get updates.

But totally worth it.

Apple Pay on my iPhone and my Apple Watch!!

Still UK only I believe but it's available in the SA App store.

epah

Expert Member
Sometimes I wish I understood Android so I could just get a Samsung with s-pay and just call it a day coz apple is really testing my patience now.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Sometimes I wish I understood Android so I could just get a Samsung with s-pay and just call it a day coz apple is really testing my patience now.

Samsung or any Android is quick enough to learn. A few days and you'll be into it.

But I have to say mate, for all the possible deal breakers that would make you change platforms, I can't get my head around this one. It seems such a small issue when we have bank cards we can use to buy things in the meantime :unsure:

epah

Expert Member
Samsung or any Android is quick enough to learn. A few days and you'll be into it.

But I have to say mate, for all the possible deal breakers that would make you change platforms, I can't get my head around this one. It seems such a small issue when we have bank cards we can use to buy things in the meantime :unsure:

Argh you know what, you are right. I will just hang in there. Have already waited long enough I guess.

ECHLN

Don’t. I just left the Android lifestyle. It’s annoying being reminded your a second class citizen when it comes to apps and services.

epah

Expert Member
Don’t. I just left the Android lifestyle. It’s annoying being reminded your a second class citizen when it comes to apps and services.

Hahaha yeah no I wouldn’t want that.

ace119

Still UK only I believe but it's available in the SA App store.

Nope!

I have it working here.... In SA with FNB. Myself and my fiancé!

Attachments

• 66A1667E-CA3D-4260-953F-C347F0194EEE.jpeg
    66A1667E-CA3D-4260-953F-C347F0194EEE.jpeg
    258.3 KB · Views: 99
  • EE4A7BCF-3EF2-4B23-A050-DEDAD0D5502D.jpeg
    EE4A7BCF-3EF2-4B23-A050-DEDAD0D5502D.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 95
  • D5E5C4DF-8A09-49F8-8889-6228F07B9EE7.png
    D5E5C4DF-8A09-49F8-8889-6228F07B9EE7.png
    547.5 KB · Views: 96
Last edited: