Apple Pay South Africa

Se@n

You seem to be In the know .. when is the switch being flipped ??

whatwhat

Executive Member
The banks will have already submitted their apps with Apple Pay onboarding, but will not be allowed to release yet, all Apple Pay functionality must be hidden. Apple will give the go-ahead for the apps to be released and penetrate for a bit before the public launch and on that day, the banks' server-side config can be flipped and the feature made visible and Apple unblocks the region....that's how Apple Pay rolls into a new region

Not really, but nice attempt.

epah

Expert Member
Lol is it the battle of the bank boys now? I thought they were hiding because they wanted to protect their jobs.

Jacada

Well 14.4 should launch today (tonight). So lets hope what ever has to happen will also coincide with that.

whatwhat

Executive Member
It's earning call on the 27th. This is usually the event to announce these sort of things.

Usually.

whatwhat

Executive Member
Lol is it the battle of the bank boys now? I thought they were hiding because they wanted to protect their jobs.

I am just familiar with how Apple works.
Especially since I don't live in SA ;)

Se@n

So officially 14.4 this evening and with some luck some good news comes out of the earnings call tomorrow.

Roo!

Expert Member
So here's the rub.

A bank uses what is known as payment rails to facilitate the transfers and payments of moneys from a card "swipe" (either card present which a machine or card not present like an eCommerce site purchase). Payment rails are basically a set of APIs, protocols and SLAs. The banks in SA typically use VISA or MasterCard for these rails.

To use Apple Pay you have to integrate with Apple's "Rails" in order to facilitate the payment. It is this integration that has stopped the role out of Apple Pay here as the banks don't like to have their payment systems held hostage by yet another proprietary system, especially one defined by a electronics design company.

This is changing as the consumers puts more pressure on their bank to enable this but will take time. Once the first bank has finally been opened up on Apple Pay the rest will follow suit as to not lose customers. This is what happened in Aus and will happen here.

Until such time as your SA bank has enable Apple Pay I would not "hack" your card into the system via changing regions, etc. There's no way for your bank to facilitate the payment so it is pointless.

Louis72

Expert Member
Well i tried that and it wont let me add my Discovery Bank card, think discovery needs to authorise it from their side. Not sure if absa etc supports it yet or a specific bank maybe ?
Tried my Absa cards and nothing yet. Tries to add them but says card issuer does not support this function.

ECHLN

So here's the rub.

A bank uses what is known as payment rails to facilitate the transfers and payments of moneys from a card "swipe" (either card present which a machine or card not present like an eCommerce site purchase). Payment rails are basically a set of APIs, protocols and SLAs. The banks in SA typically use VISA or MasterCard for these rails.

To use Apple Pay you have to integrate with Apple's "Rails" in order to facilitate the payment. It is this integration that has stopped the role out of Apple Pay here as the banks don't like to have their payment systems held hostage by yet another proprietary system, especially one defined by a electronics design company.

This is changing as the consumers puts more pressure on their bank to enable this but will take time. Once the first bank has finally been opened up on Apple Pay the rest will follow suit as to not lose customers. This is what happened in Aus and will happen here.

Until such time as your SA bank has enable Apple Pay I would not "hack" your card into the system via changing regions, etc. There's no way for your bank to facilitate the payment so it is pointless.
That was the case in Australia but it’s different here. Discovery Bank for example are literally waiting for Apple to flip the switch. This is going off the call I had with them, DMs with them and a person that I know that works within Discovery Bank. I don’t have a source in Nedbank but they also seem to be waiting for Apple because their app already has Apple Pay integration.

johnjm

Expert Member
I used it for the first time today. Not bad, although I took my wallet with me just in case considering I wasn’t sure if the parking had NFC (which it did), so Murphy’s law)

ace119

I used it for the first time today. Not bad, although I took my wallet with me just in case considering I wasn’t sure if the parking had NFC (which it did), so Murphy’s law)

Not a local bank card tho??

Another workaround or what?

Se@n

Only not bad ???

ace119

FNB card still not working under iOS 14.4..... maybe I need to sleep on it haha