Apple Pay South Africa

krycor

Honorary Master
Here is a great article explaining the complexities behind Apple Pay and how it works.

Cool.. TSP(Token Service Provider) I’ve not seen that before so this will likely be a new SA entity that needs to be set up or international setting up local presence.

Actually I see MasterCard & Visa has done exactly that though.. so I guess banks would use that. Interesting.. I wonder if PASA would standardize card tokens across the payment network as this article suggests possible.

Honestly it’s not complicated.. just some workflows to work and integrate into payment system (plus usual encryption stuff) and likely an off shelf plugin product to purchase or diy choice for issuer banks.

I disagree with the whole tech is the hold up thing.. it’s cost. Apple doesn’t exactly do so for free and I guess for someone like FNB who have FNB Pay(sorry Apple people incl me) they likely just waiting till another offer it and it draws people. Otherwise why encourage their customers to use channels that cost them % on a all you can eat package etc where existing methods are more profitable.

The Aussie bank story was exactly that.. similar with other regions. Cost of transaction originated from iPhone vs existing methods which only resolved when costs were negotiated to be more inline with their expectation the. Just what Apple wanted.

baharini

I'm feeling more bullish on it not being that far out. From the posts in this thread, we see ZA banks have a working implementation and are in beta testing, marketing materials have been created, banking app support has been released (but hidden)—it sounds like things are pretty much ready, and I don't see evidence that justifies a conclusion that it's a long way away.

(Or maybe it's the optimist in me speaking :D)

Edit: Apple's NDAs that banks are required to sign for Apple Pay functionality are insanely tight. In the UK, Monzo users were extremely frustrated at Monzo's inability to support Apple Pay, nor for their staff to even officially acknowledge that they were working on it, but one day they suddently made it available. ZA banks don't seem to be as tight lipped with all the slip-ups their customer service staff have made, but some day they'll ship it.

This was the only hint that Monzo gave about Apple Pay:

Last edited:

Bobby01

I'm feeling more bullish on it not being that far out. From the posts in this thread, we see ZA banks have a working implementation and are in beta testing, marketing materials have been created, banking app support has been released (but hidden)—it sounds like things are pretty much ready, and I don't see evidence that justifies a conclusion that it's a long way away.

My thoughts exactly. The Banks probably got a go live date that’s soon then they all rushed to do the marketing material. Look at the short span that all the info was released. Nedbank and Discovery site updated to say Apple Pay support, ABSA self help videos on YouTube already etc were all released within a week of each other. If it was a much later date, they wouldn’t have all rushed so quickly. Even the Nedbanks app had a feature saying it supports Apple Pay.

IamMe

Edit: Apple's NDAs that banks are required to sign for Apple Pay functionality are insanely tight. In the UK, Monzo users were extremely frustrated at Monzo's inability to support Apple Pay, nor for their staff to even acknowledge that they were working on it, but one day they suddently made it available. ZA banks don't seem to be as tight lipped with all the slip-ups their customer service staff have made, but some day they'll ship it.
Needed the boost in confidence! Thanks

Se@n

Edit: Apple's NDAs that banks are required to sign for Apple Pay functionality are insanely tight. In the UK, Monzo users were extremely frustrated at Monzo's inability to support Apple Pay, nor for their staff to even officially acknowledge that they were working on it, but one day they suddently made it available. ZA banks don't seem to be as tight lipped with all the slip-ups their customer service staff have made, but some day they'll ship it.

This was the only hint that Monzo gave about Apple Pay:

Thanks for this. Keeping the hope alive.

Reactions: ck1

jezzad

Have reached out to a couple people close to Nedbank. Apple Pay is definitely being discussed internally. Nothing official and no creative briefs out to marketing agencies to start creating collateral yet.

Banks would definitely see this as a competitive advantage so would be screaming about it....

In my mind we are probably a couple months off launching given the above.

Louis72

Expert Member
My thoughts exactly. The Banks probably got a go live date that’s soon then they all rushed to do the marketing material. Look at the short span that all the info was released. Nedbank and Discovery site updated to say Apple Pay support, ABSA self help videos on YouTube already etc were all released within a week of each other. If it was a much later date, they wouldn’t have all rushed so quickly. Even the Nedbanks app had a feature saying it supports Apple Pay.
We have something! I see Absa Banking App now shows Wallet Support with the newest update release yesterday. This follows Absa self help videos quickly seen on YouTube in December be made hidden.
So far it was only Nedbank that had this similar tag on the App store.
FF802A27-BBA3-425E-8907-0117CEB2A370.jpeg

Se@n

We have something! I see Absa Banking App now shows Wallet Support with the newest update release yesterday. This follows Absa self help videos quickly seen on YouTube in December be made hidden.
View attachment 1002718

Nice. Is there any reference once logged in or did they hide things a bit better than nedbank?

ECHLN

View attachment 1002718
Discovery Bank had it a while back as well.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Nice. Is there any reference once logged in or did they hide things a bit better than nedbank?
There is nothing that I could see in the app. Also the wallet is also not showing anything