Apple Pay South Africa

whatwhat

Executive Member
So Israel is having the same issue as us. Bank are ready but Apple isn’t

Like I mentioned earlier, this is also due to Corona.

Israel has been under an extreme lockdown for the last couple of weeks. Travel was limited to 1km or something from your residence, and only recently it was relaxed. No one wants to put a lot of effort into something exciting into a product like this, and then go live with hardly anyone using it.

eosman

Sometimes, Apples secrecy is a curse. Been waiting for this since 2014 when I watched the keynote. They really need to prioritise SA as a strategic objective on the African continent, over time the banks either develop their own with similar functions or a competitor that takes South Africa more serious deploys and gets better traction.

Dave

Honorary Master
They really need to prioritise SA as a strategic objective on the African continent

SA isn’t really the strategic objective in Africa for foreign companies anymore, it’s only around number 5 in GDP per capita so any of the countries 1-4 would do as well.

I think the old 20th century view of SA being a developed “western” country is still held by a portion of the population when it‘s really just an African country now with all the associated problems that brings.

or a competitor that takes South Africa more serious deploys and gets better traction.

It hasn't worked like that in the developed world, bank apps have failed dismally and then the split is on phone OS lines, if you have an iPhone it’s ApplePay, if you have Android its GPay.

momo786

“According to Visa’s Country Manager for South Africa, Aldo Laubscher, the intention was to have launched Apple Pay in South Africa by the end of 2020. He continued by saying that “it looks like it will probably be late in the quarter or early in the next quarter,” and attributes the delay to scheduling and the impact of COVID.”

eosman

“According to Visa’s Country Manager for South Africa, Aldo Laubscher, the intention was to have launched Apple Pay in South Africa by the end of 2020. He continued by saying that “it looks like it will probably be late in the quarter or early in the next quarter,” and attributes the delay to scheduling and the impact of COVID.”
Brilliant. I can taste the bubbles…

whatwhat

Executive Member

As I mentioned a few times before.
Soon.

ECHLN

So late March or April.

Last edited:

ies87

Just noticed on the Wikipedia article that South Africa is now listed as a supported country with a launch date of 1 April?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-08 at 10.07.02.png
    Screenshot 2021-03-08 at 10.07.02.png
    52.7 KB · Views: 115

ies87

Just noticed on the Wikipedia article that South Africa is now listed as a supported country with a launch date of 1 April?
Or is this the lead-up to an April Fools joke?

• Haha
Reactions: 3WA

phoneJunky

Executive Member
That would be good news. Will check who edited wikipedia if I am allowed to

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Hmm, we were put in by an unregistered person on the 4th of March.

Atleast it wasn't an SA IP (Edit: No it is an SA IP) and Mexico wasn't added so far ahead in advance

I doubt it then

ECHLN

Or is this the lead-up to an April Fools joke?
Definitely an April Fools joke and don’t Apple usually roll out features and software on Tuesdays and Wednesdays? It’s not done on a Thursday I believe. Could be wrong

ies87

Definitely an April Fools joke and don’t Apple usually roll out features and software on Tuesdays and Wednesdays? It’s not done on a Thursday I believe. Could be wrong
One or two countries have launched on Thursdays. But I'm also sceptical...

Edit: Five countries have launched on a Thursday according to the article - Australia, Switzerland, New Zealand, Spain and Ukraine.

Last edited: