Apple Pay South Africa

ECHLN

Any differences between Samsung and Apple Pay e.g. how quickly the terminal reads, how close you have to hold it etc.?
The speed is the same. Only difference is that Samsung Pay works at more places because of MST. Samsung might not have the upper hand soon because their new phones don’t have MST anymore. Samsung doesn’t think it’s necessary since more and more stores support NFC.

Priapus

Executive Member
The speed is the same. Only difference is that Samsung Pay works at more places because of MST. Samsung might not have the upper hand soon because their new phones don’t have MST anymore. Samsung doesn’t think it’s necessary since more and more stores support NFC.
What’s MST?

Louis72

Expert Member
The biggest difference is that Samsung pay has MST, which means you can still use it even if the payment terminal does not have NFC (on pre S21 phones). I used this a lot in the earlier days, if you can call late 2018 and 2019 that, but most vendors now have NFC enabled payment terminals.

Apart from that there is no real difference.
Seems like Apple Pay has more background checks in order to link the card? Contacts the bank each time when linking via special API.

Noticed that once an Absa card is linked even if it was done manually directly from the Wallet App it will be registered on the Absa app what card specific has Apple Pay enabled.

whatwhat

Executive Member
Seems like Apple Pay has more background checks in order to link the card? Contacts the bank each time when linking via special API.

Noticed that once an Absa card is linked even if it was done manually directly from the Wallet App it will be registered on the Absa app what card specific has Apple Pay enabled.

They are all the same under the hood. The reason it is called Apple or Samsung or Garmin pay is because they authenticate you and generate the tokens, however this is standard Visa and MasterCard interfaces.

There is some more technical description of what happens.

ace119

They are all the same under the hood. The reason it is called Apple or Samsung or Garmin pay is because they authenticate you and generate the tokens, however this is standard Visa and MasterCard interfaces.

There is some more technical description of what happens.

Thanks for sharing, awesome post!

Interesting to read that your issuing bank ie. Absa, Discovery and Nedbank pay Apple the 0.15% from their fee that they make of 1.7% - possibly why FNB etc. Haven’t joined? I assume tho that Samsung Pay also takes a small percentage like this? I’d hope that the banks aren’t getting greedy here, and stopping innovation because of this very very small fee… I understand the volume behind the fee is where Apple make their money, but as the article says it’s a guaranteed secure payment for the issuing bank!

“How does Apple Pay make money?

Apple Pay is free to use for Merchants and Consumers, and Apple does NOT charge either for the use of Apple Pay.

It is the Issuer Bank that pays Apple 0.15%, for any transactions that are done using Apple Pay.
In our example above, the Issuer bank pays Apple 0.15% from the 1.7% Interchange Fee, that it charges.

The Issuer Banks are ok to pay this nominal 0.15% fee, since they are guaranteed a secure transaction for any transaction that has been done using Apple Pay.”

ECHLN

Thanks for sharing, awesome post!

Interesting to read that your issuing bank ie. Absa, Discovery and Nedbank pay Apple the 0.15% from their fee that they make of 1.7% - possibly why FNB etc. Haven’t joined? I assume tho that Samsung Pay also takes a small percentage like this? I’d hope that the banks aren’t getting greedy here, and stopping innovation because of this very very small fee… I understand the volume behind the fee is where Apple make their money, but as the article says it’s a guaranteed secure payment for the issuing bank!

“How does Apple Pay make money?

Apple Pay is free to use for Merchants and Consumers, and Apple does NOT charge either for the use of Apple Pay.

It is the Issuer Bank that pays Apple 0.15%, for any transactions that are done using Apple Pay.
In our example above, the Issuer bank pays Apple 0.15% from the 1.7% Interchange Fee, that it charges.

The Issuer Banks are ok to pay this nominal 0.15% fee, since they are guaranteed a secure transaction for any transaction that has been done using Apple Pay.”
Samsung Pay doesn’t have fees involved. Samsung sees this as their iMessage or an investment to keep its users whilst Apple sees it as another one of their services that generates income like Apple TV, Apple Music etc.

ace119

ai shame neh...:ROFL:to be fair even the launch of Virtual card was a really big feat for them...

I’m not using the virtual cards anymore…. Takes 3 or 4 days for the transaction to show on my account, not the balance. The actual purchase isn’t visible in my transaction list until 3 or 4 days later….. shocking!!

Hence me crossing fingers for Apple Pay support!!! Then we just need the eCommerce and mCommerce platforms to support Apple Pay at checkout. And we sorted!!

Hush9300

Expert Member
I’m not using the virtual cards anymore…. Takes 3 or 4 days for the transaction to show on my account, not the balance. The actual purchase isn’t visible in my transaction list until 3 or 4 days later….. shocking!!

Hence me crossing fingers for Apple Pay support!!! Then we just need the eCommerce and mCommerce platforms to support Apple Pay at checkout. And we sorted!!
Only 3/4 days? My Netflix subscription was deducted 30 March and there is still no transaction listing for it...

I've cancelled all virtual cards too. FNB's implementation is garbage.

ronald911

Expert Member
Off topic - anyone recently transferred some money from FNB to Discovery?
How long does it usually take?

My Discovery Bank account got activated yesterday around lunch time and I transferred R10k to my discovery transaction account around this time yesterday, but nothing's come through yet. Little anxious that it's taking this long to reflect. I double checked the account number like 50 times to make sure there's not a typo and everything looks fine.

Even wrote Javascript function in my browser and copied the account numbers from where I sent and where I should be receiving to ensure it matches and I'm not tripping out.. lol
Screenshot 2021-04-08 at 4.41.19 PM.png

It returns true. Lol

Courier company phoned and I'm expecting my physical card for delivery tomorrow.
Was hoping I could try Apple Pay when I do groceries later this evening. lol

Last edited:

Hush9300

Expert Member

My Discovery Bank account got activated yesterday around lunch time and I transferred R10k to my discovery transaction account around this time yesterday, but nothing's come through yet. Little anxious that it's taking this long to reflect. I double checked the account number like 50 times to make sure there's not a typo and everything looks fine.

Even wrote Javascript function in my browser and copied the account numbers from where I sent and where I should be receiving to ensure it matches and I'm not tripping out.. lol
View attachment 1048949

It returns true. Lol

Courier company phoned and I'm expecting my physical card for delivery tomorrow.
Never make payments to an outside account after 15:30 (bank cut-off time) unless it's an RTC transaction.

ace119

Only 3/4 days? My Netflix subscription was deducted 30 March and there is still no transaction listing for it...

I've cancelled all virtual cards too. FNB's implementation is garbage.

Nice to know I’m not alone here….. sorry to hear!

ace119

View attachment 1048949

It returns true. Lol

Don’t first time (new account) transfers take a little longer as well?

But yea if you didn’t do a transfer “and clear immediately” then it will take at least two days.

Haha for my Nedbank account I did a R100 EFT first to make sure it went through. And it did.

Priapus

Executive Member

View attachment 1048949

It returns true. Lol

Relax lol. It takes a couple business days I you didn't use the clear now option.

I transferred some money from FNB to Discovery - but used the Clear now function and it was within 30mins

ronald911

Expert Member
Don’t first time (new account) transfers take a little longer as well?

But yea if you didn’t do a transfer “and clear immediately” then it will take at least two days.

Haha for my Nedbank account I did a R100 EFT first to make sure it went through. And it did.

Honestly, no clue... But okay cool. Hopefully it comes through soon.