Apple Pay South Africa

Louis72

Expert Member
Went away for the weekend, so did a shop at checkers (+-R2000), tried to use watch to pay and was told they disable any and all tap to pay over R500, so I shrugged my shoulders and left, went to the Pick n Pay and did my shopping there, no issue.

So guess I wont be going back to that Checkers anymore
Good! “Protect me from yourself” :ROFL: From those rude drawn on eyebrow cashiers that will only raise your blood pressure and shorten your life span.

DuckieZA

Went away for the weekend, so did a shop at checkers (+-R2000), tried to use watch to pay and was told they disable any and all tap to pay over R500, so I shrugged my shoulders and left, went to the Pick n Pay and did my shopping there, no issue.

So guess I wont be going back to that Checkers anymore
My understanding is that what should happen in that case (exceeding the tap transaction "floor limit") is that their machine should ask for, and you should provide, the PIN. That's according to instructions on a new Amex card I got last week. Not a "can't use tap for the transaction", that's ridiculous.

Priapus

Executive Member
My understanding is that what should happen in that case (exceeding the tap transaction "floor limit") is that their machine should ask for, and you should provide, the PIN. That's according to instructions on a new Amex card I got last week. Not a "can't use tap for the transaction", that's ridiculous.

Apple Pay transactions should never ask for a pin. Under any condition, AFAIK.

ies87

Apple Pay transactions should never ask for a pin. Under any condition, AFAIK.

You may be asked for a pin for transactions over R500, depends on the bank and the merchant I suppose...

I’ve used nothing but Apple Pay for the past few weeks, probably more than 100 transactions and not a single pin though.

Priapus

Executive Member

You may be asked for a pin for transactions over R500, depends on the bank and the merchant I suppose...

I’ve used nothing but Apple Pay for the past few weeks, probably more than 100 transactions and not a single pin though.
Hmmm, interesting. I’ve swiped for double that with no issue.

Tim_vb

I mean, multiple people in here have said it happened to them. Including myself.
Maybe list the card and merchant for discussion purposes. I have never been asked for a PIN since joining the pilot in Oct 2020, this included purchases over R5k

Nedbank Visa card

• Wow
Reactions: ck1

Louis72

Expert Member
Maybe list the card and merchant for discussion purposes. I have never been asked for a PIN since joining the pilot in Oct 2020, this included purchases over R5k

Nedbank Visa card
Same. Absa Visa and no PIN asked so far.

rafiqs

It doesn't matter what bank your card is from it depends on whether or not the merchant's payment device (edit: and merchant's bank) has been updated to the latest specifications.

Do customers need to sign a receipt or enter a PIN?​

If your customer's transaction exceeds a certain amount when they pay in stores with Apple Pay in some countries and regions, they might need to enter their PIN. In some cases, they might need to sign a receipt or use a different payment method.5

5. To accept Apple Pay without the need for a signature at any amount, your payment terminal must be capable and configured properly, and your payment provider needs to support the latest network contactless specifications. Share the consumer device cardmember verification white paper with your payment provider and ask them how you can allow your customers to use Apple Pay without needing to sign.

https://support.apple.com/en-za/HT204274