Apple Pay South Africa

Louis72

Expert Member
Had the first location Bug today.

Tapped at Dischem and it shows under Nando’s thats right next door.

DuckieZA

Apple Pay transactions should never ask for a pin. Under any condition, AFAIK.
To clarify: The card machine asks for the PIN. Not Apple Pay/the phone or watch.

Once Apple Pay has communicated with the machine, my understanding is that it is like any other contactless transaction, and a PIN might be required.

Priapus

Executive Member
To clarify: The card machine asks for the PIN. Not Apple Pay/the phone or watch.

Once Apple Pay has communicated with the machine, my understanding is that it is like any other contactless transaction, and a PIN might be required.

Okay yeah that makes sense.

HumanShield

Like a few also experienced here. I was asked to sign after using the watch with a Discovery card at Checkers. Quite amusing.

ab-user

Expert Member
Like a few also experienced here. I was asked to sign after using the watch with a Discovery card at Checkers. Quite amusing.
Tapped 3x today:
Coffee shop: Yoko, no signature nor pin required (R77,00)
Checkers: Did not pay attention to their terminal, Signature required as till slip stated "not authenticated by PIN" or equivalent (R124,29) - Second time this happened. 6 days ago signature was required for R362
Built-it: Absa terminal, No signature nor pin required (R49,99)

Yup, Checkers must get with the current century!

BiggyBuggy

Hey everyone. I have a strange question I hope someone here could answer. I opened a Nedbank account when they launched Apple Pay (thanks, FNB). It was a Savvy Plus account so you get a gold card with it. When the card was delivered, I received two separate cards - the gold one I expected and then a platinum one as well. Both appeared in the app, and I could activate both cards. I ended up adding the platinum one to my Apple Pay and have been using it often for just over a week. This is a current account by the way, so they're cheque cards, not credit cards. It's been working fine as expected without problems.

Nedbank said that they delivered it by mistake and that I should destroy it because apparently bank charges differ on different transactions and it might not match my gold account and I should use the gold card instead. Platinum cards are for the rich and famous only. Jokes aside, but does anyone think this is true? Does the card colour really matter? It's connected to my poor-man gold account and functions perfectly, so I don't really buy it. Thoughts?

ies87

Hey everyone. I have a strange question I hope someone here could answer. I opened a Nedbank account when they launched Apple Pay (thanks, FNB). It was a Savvy Plus account so you get a gold card with it. When the card was delivered, I received two separate cards - the gold one I expected and then a platinum one as well. Both appeared in the app, and I could activate both cards. I ended up adding the platinum one to my Apple Pay and have been using it often for just over a week. This is a current account by the way, so they're cheque cards, not credit cards. It's been working fine as expected without problems.

Nedbank said that they delivered it by mistake and that I should destroy it because apparently bank charges differ on different transactions and it might not match my gold account and I should use the gold card instead. Platinum cards are for the rich and famous only. Jokes aside, but does anyone think this is true? Does the card colour really matter? It's connected to my poor-man gold account and functions perfectly, so I don't really buy it. Thoughts?
At Nedbank, Gold/Platinum has nothing to do with your income. Gold cards is for standard transactional accounts or standalone credit cards and platinum cards are issued for a savvy bundle account (transactional account and credit card bundle).

Not sure if the fact that you use a platinum card automatically makes it a savvy bundle account but the pricing structure for the two colours is different. Rather use to gold to be safe.

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
Tapped 3x today:
Checkers: Did not pay attention to their terminal, Signature required as till slip stated "not authenticated by PIN" or equivalent (R124,29) - Second time this happened. 6 days ago signature was required for R362

Checkers is in the stone ages, they ask for the signature when I tap the physical card too, after asking for the pin.

OnlyOneKenobi

Shopped at my local Checkers again today, R300 or so. Still haven’t needed to sign anything yet nor enter a pin.. been using Apple Pay there every few days after AP launched.
Strangely, AP failed twice on me today at different places using FNB speed points.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Nedbank Amex card now loading properly in the Wallet.

When I originally signed up there was a verification issue (something off between Amex and Apple Pay) - received SMS yesterday, deleted the card in Wallet, reloaded and voila!

Last edited:

Se@n

Nedbank Amex card now loading properly in the Wallet.

When I originally signed up there was a verification issue (something off between Amex and Apple Pay - received SMS yesterday, deleted the card in Wallet, reloaded and voila!

Is Amex contactless still limited to Woolies?

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Is Amex contactless still limited to Woolies?

Seems so

Tried at Clicks today, Amex 'tap to pay' (Apple Pay and physical card) didn't work. Insert Amex card in terminal device and PIN works perfectly.

Has to be a merchant level configuration setting.

It's quite dispiriting to see how half-arsed the various merchants are in the area of card payment tech.

krycor

Honorary Master
Tapped my iphone at the Sasol station and the machine requested I insert or swipe. Would have been awkward if I didn't have my cards.

Problem is.. some devices have the merchants set contactless off for purchases exceeding an arbitrary value below visa/mc or even pasa limit. Apparently they weary of stolen cards etc but uhm they can just the pin request and online only.

So it’s a bit of a meh .. similarly when merchant doesn’t have contactless so.. if you going to a chain you know used contactless cool.

krycor

Honorary Master
Seems so

Tried at Clicks today, Amex 'tap to pay' (Apple Pay and physical card) didn't work. Insert Amex card in terminal device and PIN works perfectly.

Has to be a merchant level configuration setting.

It's quite dispiriting to see how half-arsed the various merchants are in the area of card payment tech.

Amex contactless isn’t supported everywhere so good luck. I’ve rarely seen this working and the primary reason there is little pressure to do so is it makes a for a very tiny % of all transactions (via contact).

krycor

Honorary Master
Has anyone been asked for pin? I’m thinking they maybe set it to respect mobile auth.. **waits for the string of phone stolen and shopping spree happen stories**

krycor

Honorary Master
Tapped 3x today:

The signature thing is a merchant trust issue and issues with stolen cards.

I find this weird and arbitrary.. you can literally sign James Bond in cursive and they won’t say anything. Yes.. at some point they fall back to signature checks but I’m not sure this is MasterCard/Visa doing this but locals (bank or entity rep) to get out of settling with merchant.

End of the day.. emv approves and online +/- pin.. the risk falls to chip (you know mc/visa) or issuer which then pushes to account holder pending reporting and use of pin etc. if issuer reported stolen and acquirer didn’t update hot cards etc (offline) or didn’t reject appropriate online.. well then acquiring side.

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
Problem is.. some devices have the merchants set contactless off for purchases exceeding an arbitrary value below visa/mc or even pasa limit. Apparently they weary of stolen cards etc but uhm they can just the pin request and online only.

So it’s a bit of a meh .. similarly when merchant doesn’t have contactless so.. if you going to a chain you know used contactless cool.

The thing, at least when it started, banks may have ads payed more recently.

Contactless payments initially was a merchant risk, that’s why the rollout was slow in the beginning, and the pin request limits were also around the R200 range.

Basically if there is no pin and the card was stolen, it’s the merchants loss. Bank will refund you from the stores ledger and not their own:

These days I swear it’s just bloody random. I walked into PnP a few weeks back and tapped for over 2 grand, the other day it wanted the pin for like R140.

johnjm

Expert Member
I was asked for a pin today, granted it was a large sum, but other than that I’ve gone up to 9k on transactions so far with Apple Pay and haven’t had to input pins on those.

Pretty impressed with discovery bank.