Apple Pay South Africa

Jacada

Has anyone been asked for pin? I’m thinking they maybe set it to respect mobile auth.. **waits for the string of phone stolen and shopping spree happen stories**
Have used AP since it came out at various places and for various amounts. Have not been asked for a PIN once but:
Dis-Chem - Have to select account type on terminal
Checkers - Have to sign their little slip

ECHLN

Has anyone been asked for pin? I’m thinking they maybe set it to respect mobile auth.. **waits for the string of phone stolen and shopping spree happen stories**
Only once so far, if you’re talking about the terminal asking for a pin.

Tim_vb

The thing, at least when it started, banks may have ads payed more recently.

Contactless payments initially was a merchant risk, that’s why the rollout was slow in the beginning, and the pin request limits were also around the R200 range.

Basically if there is no pin and the card was stolen, it’s the merchants loss. Bank will refund you from the stores ledger and not their own:

These days I swear it’s just bloody random. I walked into PnP a few weeks back and tapped for over 2 grand, the other day it wanted the pin for like R140.
Face ID / fingerprint scan stands in for the PIN on Apple Pay. All things considered its a better system than chip and PIN.

It would be interesting to see if its certain cards being asked for a PIN due to issuer rules as this hasn't happened to me and I have been using Apple Pay exclusively for almost 6 months now

baharini

I loaded my Nedbank AMEX card into Apple Pay a while ago, and the same issue with physical Nedbank AMEX cards seems to be happening with it too — almost all payment terminals reject the card when tapping, and ask you to insert it manually. Woolworths and Pick n Pay are the only stores I've tried it at that support contactless transactions with it.

FWIW, the terminals at Pick n Pay (Rondebosch) always asks for my PIN when using Apple Pay with said card, but at least it works :cool:

Does anyone have insight into the cause of this? Hopefully the Apple Pay launch has put this issue on Nedbank's roadmap to fix.

Tim_vb

I loaded my Nedbank AMEX card into Apple Pay a while ago, and the same issue with physical Nedbank AMEX cards seems to be happening with it too — almost all payment terminals reject the card when tapping, and ask you to insert it manually. Woolworths and Pick n Pay are the only stores I've tried it at that support contactless transactions with it.

FWIW, the terminals at Pick n Pay (Rondebosch) always asks for my PIN when using Apple Pay with said card, but at least it works :cool:

Does anyone have insight into the cause of this? Hopefully the Apple Pay launch has put this issue on Nedbank's roadmap to fix.
The integrators and switches have to enable contactless Amex, they take their instructions from the retailers

Exios1

Hoping FNB can give its customers some good news on Apple Pay tomorrow. Fingers crossed but I won't hold my breath though.

1154F085-B3BE-4EF8-B350-3F444BA5B2F1.jpeg

ace119

It would be suicide to not at least address the matter

Nedbank Professional One cards arrive tomorrow….. mmmhhhhh, once i get to use the app and experience the Nedbank. Possibly a switch coming in the not to near future…

johnjm

Expert Member
Some say the same about Investec.

I was one of them. They have lost me for my monthly transnational stuff already as I opened a discovery account. And so far I am impressed with the service.

That said, I’ll always remain with Investec as it has been nearly 20 years and they do offer services and I have a portfolio that I will always require.

Louis72

Expert Member
Their standard response is: "We are talking to Apple, but have you heard about your virtual card?"
I mean like Ive had “so many” instances of card fraud from online vs actual cloning of the old school mag strip... if they made their cards mag strip free I would be impressed.

Priapus

Executive Member
I mean like Ive had “so many” instances of card fraud from online vs actual cloning of the old school mag strip... if they made their cards mag strip free I would be impressed.

That would cause problems with old style POS machines. Toll gates for one, still use that.

Tim_vb

Virtual cards are a subset of card tokenisation - Apple Pay, Garmin Pay are all virtual cards loaded into physical devices. Having worked in this area I also struggle to see what issues pure virtual cards solve, apart from giving a client an instant card on account approval (marginal). I would say less than 1% of card fraud involves intercepted card details between legitimate transactions and merchants, it's probably the most secure part of the card ecosystem. Pure virtual cards often give issues reoccurring payments depending on how they are setup

Louis72

Expert Member
That would cause problems with old style POS machines. Toll gates for one, still use that.
Indeed. But what if the whole sector collectively move technology forward? Basically banish the mag strip? How easy would a working Tap and Go system be for Toll gates as an example.