Apple Pay South Africa

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Cool story, I have been using Apple Pay in South Africa for the last 4-5 years every time I visited.

You must be the FNB CEO's alt account, welcome!
^^ with an SA bank ? nope.

If you look carefully my main issue is with the SA banks that have rushed this.

CranialBlaze

Expert Member

And our main issue is that you offer no information to backup your statement while there are literally hundreds of people reporting non issue.

So why should we consider the unsubstantiated ramblings of a single person over the contradictory reports from hundreds of others.

If you want us to take your words with any level of serious, then you need to provide more than “because I said so” as a reason, especially seeing as you yourself have stated you have no direct experience to backup your own words.

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
TBH was confused as to the responses here I didn't realise that I had wondered in to this little forum niche.
This makes total sense now that people here are so excited about a poor service from a mediocre device.

I'll let my self out and leave you lot to your circle jerk.

So your upset your loosing an argument you refuse to make based on first hand experiences you don’t have and justifications you refuse to make and information you refuse to substantiate.

Welcome to the forum RBJacobs, no virtual cards are not the same as Apple Pay…

prOd

Expert Member
TBH was confused as to the responses here I didn't realise that I had wondered in to this little forum niche.
This makes total sense now that people here are so excited about a poor service from a mediocre device.

FWIW you are the one claiming things without backing it up. What do you expect people here to do? I understand you're under NDA, so I'll take your word for it...but in the meantime myself and others here will continue to use AP without issue.

And how did this suddenly go from "banks did not test with big retailers" to "poor service from a mediocre device". This post of yours honestly just comes across as trolling because "apple bad"

Priapus

Executive Member

Unless you're going to backup what you say, stop your bull ****. If there were any issues, we'd have known it by now. I have used Apple Pay at major retailers and had zero issues.

FNB are lagging behind. it's that simple.

mccdyl001

What is so irritating about the FNB delay is that Apple Pay launched for the first time in October 2014. We're closing in on that being 7 year ago now. This is something that should have been on the radar at South African banks for some time.

And as soon as tap-to-pay started rolling out in South Africa, foreign tourists (and those locals lucky enough to have overseas bank accounts) started using our local payment terminals with Apple Pay.

So from a consumer point of view, this stuff has been around and been working for many years already. Then you see 3 of our bigger banks roll it out officially on the same day. There may be some bugs, but from most accounts it's been a pretty smooth and easy launch for those banks. Their customers are happy! After 6 years of waiting they can finally use the tech they've been carrying around in their pockets and on their wrists all these years.

But FNB and Standard Bank dropped the ball. FNB especially as they keep touting they are South Africa's most innovative bank. Not any more. You missed the boat on a product launched abroad in 20-friggin-14.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
So does your retailer have the same issues with standard contactless transactions?

If not, there’s something funny going on there as ApplePay is designed to operate as standard tap and pay if the merchant isn’t set up for proper ApplePay.
So if you are interested (people interested in the banking\payments aspect):

No, they don't and merchant setup is not really the problem here.
Also there is a standard for mobile payments which differs from the contactless payments standard for your plastic card.
Neither Samsung pay or Apple pay have complied with this and basically the interaction looks like a normal card tap to the device (with a new card number different to the actual card you are using).

So this is why the retailers will have issues with this. Things like eBucks and other loyalty programs wont work out the box, I actually think this is why FNB has not implemented it.
Its an assumption but makes sense as this setup is going to be a problem for loyalty systems that are based on the payment card. This may be Standard banks issue as well... im just guessing.

Personally I'd rather get this right instead of rushing and then breaking the loyalty program.

Pho3nix

The Legend

Also there is a standard for mobile payments which differs from the contactless payments standard for your plastic card.
Neither Samsung pay or Apple pay have complied with this and basically the interaction looks like a normal card tap to the device (with a new card number different to the actual card you are using).

So this is why the retailers will have issues with this. Things like eBucks and other loyalty programs wont work out the box, I actually think this is why FNB has not implemented it.
Its an assumption but makes sense as this setup is going to be a problem for loyalty systems that are based on the payment card. This may be Standard banks issue as well... im just guessing.

Personally I'd rather get this right instead of rushing and then breaking the loyalty program.

Could argue from an eBucks perspective this is working already with Virtual cards still allowing you to earn eBucks as it's linked to your CC or Fusion.

Standard Bank wise, I've heard* it's related in part to something like this though.

Charlesjjm

Not sure how it affects the retailer. I can swipe or tap and pay with any card I like, as long as I've scanned my Clicks clubcard first, for example.

It seems to be more a bank issue with their back office (involving the bank's loyalty program). But then again, if Samsung Pay, Garmin Pay and Fitbit Pay is working, is there that big a difference between them and Apple Pay?

Priapus

Executive Member

Again, more bullshit. I thought you were heading out the door?

Either backup what you're saying or stop posting misinformation.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Not sure how it affects the retailer. I can swipe or tap and pay with any card I like, as long as I've scanned my Clicks clubcard first, for example.

It seems to be more a bank issue with their back office (involving the bank's loyalty program). But then again, if Samsung Pay, Garmin Pay and Fitbit Pay is working, is there that big a difference between them and Apple Pay?
So with eBucks you just swipe one card and they work out the points in the background. (which is way more convenient for the customer )
In other loyalty programs you swipe your loyalty card first and them a payment card but then there are still rules based on what kind of payment card is used. eg you can't get loyalty on certain cards.

The retailers have all these things setup for discounts and points that are affected by this.
So if you want to use it then fine - don't expect things to just work seamlessly. If your version of "working" is that the transaction is approved, then LOL.

Priapus

Executive Member
If your version of "working" is that the transaction is approved, then LOL.

Uh, not sure if you're now just being stupid or trolling miserably. To the customer, that's the very definition of "It works"
If I am able to use the device to make the payment and it reflects on my bank statements, then its working. What else is there?

FML - Some people...

phoneJunky

Executive Member
So with eBucks you just swipe one card and they work out the points in the background. (which is way more convenient for the customer )
In other loyalty programs you swipe your loyalty card first and them a payment card but then there are still rules based on what kind of payment card is used. eg you can't get loyalty on certain cards.

The retailers have all these things setup for discounts and points that are affected by this.
So if you want to use it then fine - don't expect things to just work seamlessly. If your version of "working" is that the transaction is approved, then LOL.
I will have to check up on my Absa rewards if it is working correctly. But I don't really mind that all that much. when I stopped with Vitality I actually stopped thinking about all my rewards programs.

In my opinion it is better to have a vanilla service without worrying about rewards and adding that later. Just let the users know that it won't work with ApplePay. We shouldn't have to wait because a few of the people are using reward programs.

Tim_vb

So actually it is different. There is a specification for

That's not how you launch a new service though. Which is why I say its poorly implemented.

They wanted to be first and so instead of following process they just launched.

Apple pay also uses its own mapped BIN's and those are not listed with PASA yet.

I have seen other issues and its with the newer card machines - not the older ones.
The worst is that it will work intermittently so will look like its working and then the next time you try it will fail
If you waited for every single participant to execute all use cases perfectly in the payments world then we would still be swapping bundles of firewood for kegs of beer. there isn't a single payments technology that will ever work flawlessly as it composed of many participants with different interests.

Tim_vb

I will have to check up on my Absa rewards if it is working correctly. But I don't really mind that all that much. when I stopped with Vitality I actually stopped thinking about all my rewards programs.

In my opinion it is better to have a vanilla service without worrying about rewards and adding that later. Just let the users know that it won't work with ApplePay. We shouldn't have to wait because a few of the people are using reward programs.
As an aside I was playing around and realised I can add my Nedbank loyalty card as to Apple Pay which is pretty neat. My Apple wallet is holding five payment cards now and I can just leave one card in the car as an emergency spare for tollgates. This has always been a PITA with Nedbank issuing you with up to 5 cards per account

Loyality points should work w/o any changes the the bank implemented tokenisation properly and they would have been tested

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
If you waited for every single participant to execute all use cases perfectly in the payments world then we would still be swapping bundles of firewood for kegs of beer. there isn't a single payments technology that will ever work flawlessly as it composed of many participants with different interests.
This is true - we have all done that before.

The thing I saw here was people praising a bank for being innovative and condemning another one for living in the dark ages.

Meanwhile its just caused issues for everyone else but I suppose that's what you call "Disruption".

Anyway, I shouldn't complain - your problems are billable work for me.

Priapus

Executive Member
This is true - we have all done that before.

The thing I saw here was people praising a bank for being innovative and condemning another one for living in the dark ages.

Meanwhile its just caused issues for everyone else but I suppose that's what you call "Disruption".

Anyway, I shouldn't complain - your problems are billable work for me.

These phantom issues....
I'll stop replying because you're clearly just being an idiot or a troll.

Cool_Guy1989

What's wrong with a circle jerk, especially about Apple Pay?