I have noticed Apple Pay appearing together with wallet on iOS 13.6

Entered my CC details , “ not supported “
Hopefully Apple Pay coming soon to SA

c38ecfa45559221707eddd1ef3e8871c.png
0fdd078f568437c939f40da266d6d509.png

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
How is this different or new to what’s been available for years?

c269fb3e6c14acfa616fd9fc94d16733.png
f574e3bd03caf40348d9f54e132e4f2e.png

ies87

The setting wasn’t there for me before the latest iOS update (I checked before updating). Hopefully this means that something is coming soon. Got errors with my Discovery Bank and RMB cards.

Jacada

Finally getting ECG support in SA makes me slightly hopeful for Apple Pay. But alas, I fear the banks don't want to come to the party.

alternate

Expert Member
Wallet and Apple Pay doesn't appear for me in Settings under iTunes & App Store on 13.4.1.

krycor

Honorary Master
The setting wasn’t there for me before the latest iOS update (I checked before updating). Hopefully this means that something is coming soon. Got errors with my Discovery Bank and RMB cards.

Until banks support it, it will look up the bin (1st 6 digits) and decline.

As mentioned before, there is a sourcing fee which banks are reluctant about. Not sure if there are other things tbh like integration into payment switch (sign up? And tokenize)

2ndly with most of the banks buying into MasterPass the only “big” benefit is offline use through.

Speaking of MasterPass.. it’s a pitty they did not implement a pin based system(use banking app auth presently).. I’m not a fan of unlocking a bank app to scan a QR.

One would think, given phone theft with banking theft, they would cater for this via a complication/widget that allows a timeout on QR scan with no bank app access (usual randomized keyboard). My 2c

ies87

Until banks support it, it will look up the bin (1st 6 digits) and decline.

As mentioned before, there is a sourcing fee which banks are reluctant about. Not sure if there are other things tbh like integration into payment switch (sign up? And tokenize)

2ndly with most of the banks buying into MasterPass the only “big” benefit is offline use through.

Speaking of MasterPass.. it’s a pitty they did not implement a pin based system(use banking app auth presently).. I’m not a fan of unlocking a bank app to scan a QR.

One would think, given phone theft with banking theft, they would cater for this via a complication/widget that allows a timeout on QR scan with no bank app access (usual randomized keyboard). My 2c
I understand that banks need to support it, it's just that they've been saying for a while now that they are "working on it". If I remember from the myBB article a while ago, Nedbank specifically said that they are in serious talks with Apple about this. A manager at Discovery also told me that they are very keen and waiting on Apple. So the fact that the Apple Pay functionality has suddenly appeared after the last update is hopefully a sign that these negotiations are wrapping up and that a launch is imminent.

ECHLN

Can’t reveal my source but Discovery Bank might have Apple Pay support early next year.

Timmytjie

Can’t reveal my source but Discovery Bank might have Apple Pay support early next year.
Also seen netbank is talking with apple about apple pay but they can’t disclose any information. Soo hopefully soon

ECHLN

Also seen netbank is talking with apple about apple pay but they can’t disclose any information. Soo hopefully soon
Yeah I’m hearing the same with Nedbank. It’s just a matter of time

Jacada

Discovery is already tight with Apple with their Watch and iPhone rewards. I actually expected them to have Apple Pay from the start.