Apple Pay South Africa

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
Why would there be additional charges for Apple Pay?

There was a question as to what the transaction would classify as.

I can’t recall the terms but one was free and the other was like R2 per and they were both plausibly applicable to Apple Pay, given a banks ability to be completely vague while also only half speaking English in their pricing tables.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Pay-and-clear or whatever FNB calls it (if its an option for you - some people don't have it included or don't want to pay the fee for it) was around 1-2 mins for the funds to arrive in my Discovery account?
Does seem a bit slow today, money reflected after a bit but no confirmation notification from Discovery yet.
Two different banks used.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Had to use my card like some sort of savage 'cos the shop my wife dragged me to this morning still has old POS devices that don't support 'tap to pay' - jirre, I sommer resented having to pay....

Contrast to yesterday where all the places I went to supported - watch 'tap' - done - little burst of satisfaction and joy everytime.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
This have happened twice now. My watch doesn't tap on the terminal but my card does. Both instances was FNB machines. I don't know if that is just a coincidence or if this is why they didn't want to roll it out yet. Or maybe it just didn't pick up my watch.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
This have happened twice now. My watch doesn't tap on the terminal but my card does. Both instances was FNB machines. I don't know if that is just a coincidence or if this is why they didn't want to roll it out yet. Or maybe it just didn't pick up my watch.
Had a similar issue yesterday with my phone and a FNB POS, it didn’t trigger like normal but the machine did process the transaction.

Tim_vb

I find the watch can be awkward and has less range than the phone. Its unlikely the watch transactions are "disabled" without disabling all tap to pay transactions

ECHLN

Interesting. So far, transactions with my Apple Watch have been flawless. Only thing is you have to be a little closer to the terminal.

Priapus

Executive Member
Interesting. So far, transactions with my Apple Watch have been flawless. Only thing is you have to be a little closer to the terminal.

Yup, I put the watch above 0.5cm from the terminal. no issues in the last 10 transactions.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
I find the watch can be awkward and has less range than the phone. Its unlikely the watch transactions are "disabled" without disabling all tap to pay transactions
Yes, maybe it is just a range thing. My watch is a series 2 so that might have something to do with it as well

OnlyOneKenobi

I've only had issues on FNB terminals on one particular day... since then I've been back to the same establishments and it has worked fine.
Also had issues at one of the larger Checkers Hyper' tech counter paypoint where I had to use my card (coincidentally it has always worked just fine at the small Checkers around the corner from me). No other glitches with AP so far, and still haven't needed to sign any slips either.

Charlesjjm

I have found that the Apple Watch registers a lot further than my Samsung Watch. With Samsung I've had to touch the terminal to ensure that the transaction goes through. With Apple, it registers around 2-3 cm from the terminal.

On a side note, some FNB terminals have the NFC chip right at the top of the machine whereas everyone else seems to be under the display. A few times I've tapped the wrong spot wondering why tap and pay is not working only to realise I'm not tapping the chip......

$m@Rt@$$

Expert Member
I have found that the Apple Watch registers a lot further than my Samsung Watch. With Samsung I've had to touch the terminal to ensure that the transaction goes through. With Apple, it registers around 2-3 cm from the terminal.

On a side note, some FNB terminals have the NFC chip right at the top of the machine whereas everyone else seems to be under the display. A few times I've tapped the wrong spot wondering why tap and pay is not working only to realise I'm not tapping the chip......
Indeed. The Verifone devices have their NFC reader above the display. Ingenico put theirs under the display.

Se@n

5eed9ba40b916f1d9c161917da514193.jpg

epah

Expert Member
6c6467a0578aa6d83e0c1c5a9fd266bb.jpg

I see the pick n pay in my area got new speed points, I had my first error but it turns out I was tapping in the wrong area.