Apple Pay South Africa

TedLasso

Expert Member
With Garmin pay you long hold the side button and then tap to pay... seems pretty much the same to me....
Genuine question - is Garmin Pay on the Garmin phone and watch only or any Android device?
Indeed. Cards loaded onto watch itself. I've had it for a few years and that's how I've been paying normally. Have both my and my wife's CCs loaded onto it. Works like a charm. Don't need to have phone near at all. Watch is completely autonomous. In my case, have configured that I need to type in a code on watch to activate the NFC cards on watch. Which I do while waiting in the queue.

FWIW, I have an android phone and wife is on iPhone .But we both use Garmin watches .

All the apple fanboys are late to the party IMHO when the rest of us been living the life for a few years ;) . But it is stupid that FNB still hasn't got support for it.

ECHLN

Im not sure what all the fuss is about, FNB have had Garmin pay for a while, its fun for a bit and even practical in some instances, but its hardly the most groundbreaking thing to happen in the last few years.
You still have to take your phone out and unlock it, with masks that means typing in a code.
Its faster for me to pull my wallet out instead and use a card to tap. Sure some people might not carry a wallet, but most have it with them all of the time so I dont see any actual benefits to this.
It’s not meant to appeal to everyone. For most of us here, we enjoy paying with our iPhones and Apple Watches and the fact that you don’t have to carry a bulky wallet is an added bonus. And for me, paying with my Apple Watch is much quicker than taking my card out of my wallet.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Indeed. Cards loaded onto watch itself. I've had it for a few years and that's how I've been paying normally. Have both my and my wife's CCs loaded onto it. Works like a charm. Don't need to have phone near at all. Watch is completely autonomous. In my case, have configured that I need to type in a code on watch to activate the NFC cards on watch. Which I do while waiting in the queue.

FWIW, I have an android phone and wife is on iPhone .But we both use Garmin watches .

All the apple fanboys are late to the party IMHO when the rest of us been living the life for a few years ;) . But it is stupid that FNB still hasn't got support for it.
Precisely the point.

FNB able to cater for a small minority of smartwatch users with GarminPay (the prices of which makes the base Apple watch prices appear cheap) and yet they've dragged their heels with a far larger userbase depriving that base of experiencing what people who bank with Nedbank, Discovery, etc have been enjoying for months now.

For context: Globally, Apple dominates the market (2020 numbers) with a 55% share vs Garmin's 8% (source: https://www.wareable.com/smartwatches/smartwatch-market-q1-2020-share-winners-7966)

Louis72

Expert Member
Precisely the point.

FNB able to cater for a small minority of smartwatch users with GarminPay (the prices of which makes the base Apple watch prices appear cheap) and yet they've dragged their heels with a far larger userbase depriving that base of experiencing what people who bank with Nedbank, Discovery, etc have been enjoying for months now.

For context: Globally, Apple dominates the market (2020 numbers) with a 55% share vs Garmin's 8% (source: https://www.wareable.com/smartwatches/smartwatch-market-q1-2020-share-winners-7966)
Exactly why the theory that FNB and Standard just didn't meet Apple's quality/security standards sounds more credible by the day.
If they made all the effort of supporting Samsung Pay (eventually), Garmin and Fitbit then why not Apple?

LordPhoenix_ZA

So Tuesday is here… Just tried adding the following FNB cards with no luck:

• Premier Credit
• Premier Fusion
• Private Client Credit
• Private Client Fusion
Damn. Was hoping today was the day. What I don’t understand. Regardless of all the theories on security standards etc.

Why are the business accounts active then? And not everything else

CranialBlaze

Expert Member

We are talking about 2 completely separate user bases, Apple Pay for one is not a watch exclusive like Garmin Pay.

I can use AP on my watch, phone, tablet and Mac for online and IRL payments.

Apple as a whole has an exponentially larger reach than Garmin, added to that, Garmin watches target a very different demographic, not to mention that pay is only available on a small percentage of the Garmin range, much of that selection is priced than Apples options.

Then let’s consider that Garmin makes fitness devices with base smart capabilities while Apple makes Smart Watches with fitness capabilities.

The Apple Watch has far more day to day uses, and I went from a Fennix to a AW. Out side of sport, Garmin is really just a watch, a damned nice one, but beyond that there is little more that it offers.

Apple Watch, or any smart for that matter is at least accurate enough for the user base from a fitness aspect, but from a day to day it allows things like responding to and even composing messages, and not only in iMessage. You have access to apps and shortcuts, flip I can open my garage from my watch or control my lights. I can get navigation directions and if I spend too much money on one, even make calls.

Apple Pay and Garmin Pay are not even remotely comparable when you factor the devices in, and overall usability of the service.

You could not even compare GP with Samsung pay. Samsung again wins hand down on that one too.

Tim_vb

Exactly why the theory that FNB and Standard just didn't meet Apple's quality/security standards sounds more credible by the day.
If they made all the effort of supporting Samsung Pay (eventually), Garmin and Fitbit then why not Apple?
FNB don't want to share card interchange with the big fruit. The standard used is card tokenization and its almost exactly the same across App, Garmin Samsung, Huawai, Pay etc

Se@n

729bd4f7b4d27fcd298dbed810b03a41.jpg

Managed to get out of the house. Works perfectly fine albeit I got confused with switching between the cards

Is the business card still working?

TedLasso

Expert Member
We are talking about 2 completely separate user bases, Apple Pay for one is not a watch exclusive like Garmin Pay.

I can use AP on my watch, phone, tablet and Mac for online and IRL payments.

Apple as a whole has an exponentially larger reach than Garmin, added to that, Garmin watches target a very different demographic, not to mention that pay is only available on a small percentage of the Garmin range, much of that selection is priced than Apples options.

Then let’s consider that Garmin makes fitness devices with base smart capabilities while Apple makes Smart Watches with fitness capabilities.

The Apple Watch has far more day to day uses, and I went from a Fennix to a AW. Out side of sport, Garmin is really just a watch, a damned nice one, but beyond that there is little more that it offers.

Apple Watch, or any smart for that matter is at least accurate enough for the user base from a fitness aspect, but from a day to day it allows things like responding to and even composing messages, and not only in iMessage. You have access to apps and shortcuts, flip I can open my garage from my watch or control my lights. I can get navigation directions and if I spend too much money on one, even make calls.

Apple Pay and Garmin Pay are not even remotely comparable when you factor the devices in, and overall usability of the service.

You could not even compare GP with Samsung pay. Samsung again wins hand down on that one too.

Understood. And you use what works for you. I guess that applies to us all.

On my side, I have apple devices (iPad Pro 12.9 + AppleTV), Wife has the mac, iPhone , her own iPad Pro.

But no longer use the phone as Android is way more functional from a multi-tasking POV. I have never chosen to get locked into specific integrations (so use OneDrive as primary, but recently paying for iCloud and Google Photos) and same with Watch. I like the Apple Watch for what it is, but prefer my watch to be just that a watch with fitness and some other things. My garmin can get notifications, etc - but's it's all turned off cos I hate digital noise which distracts me. So in my case, my GP is used for payments but because I need to jump through the hoops to get L5 of Ebucks - I need to use my stupid phone 3 times a month to do what I can do more easily on my watch.

PS . I can control my home (via HA) - once again not being locked to an ecosystem) from my 3 year Garmin watch too (but that needs an internet connection from my phone)

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
Understood. And you use what works for you. I guess that applies to us all.

On my side, I have apple devices (iPad Pro 12.9 + AppleTV), Wife has the mac, iPhone , her own iPad Pro.

But no longer use the phone as Android is way more functional from a multi-tasking POV. I have never chosen to get locked into specific integrations (so use OneDrive as primary, but recently paying for iCloud and Google Photos) and same with Watch. I like the Apple Watch for what it is, but prefer my watch to be just that a watch with fitness and some other things. My garmin can get notifications, etc - but's it's all turned off cos I hate digital noise which distracts me. So in my case, my GP is used for payments but because I need to jump through the hoops to get L5 of Ebucks - I need to use my stupid phone 3 times a month to do what I can do more easily on my watch.

PS . I can control my home (via HA) - once again not being locked to an ecosystem) from my 3 year Garmin watch too (but that needs an internet connection from my phone)

Also use HA with HK, I can control via automations, HA watch app, shortcuts or Home app. Lots of options. Just could not do any of that with Garmin.

Most of what I was talking about is not really exclusive to Apple, more just smart watch capabilities in general, some Garmin isn’t.

Apples just the smartwatch that most easily deals with wrist based payments, with the possible exception of Samsung, refuse to use their bloat ware so would not know.

Louis72

Expert Member
I see FNB had an app update haha

Still can’t add my cards…

View attachment 1102669
Look to see if it supports the Wallet App. Couple of weeks before the Apple Pay launch the Absa app started showing Wallet support.

Also look under your cards management section where you do temp locks, international travel activation etc. “Add to Wallet” showed up there.

LordPhoenix_ZA

Look to see if it supports the Wallet App. Couple of weeks before the Apple Pay launch the Absa app started showing Wallet support.

Also look under your cards management section where you do temp locks, international travel activation etc. “Add to Wallet” showed up there.
No Wallet App support showing on my end.