Apple reveals iOS 12 – The big upgrades

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member
Apple reveals iOS 12 – The big upgrades

Apple has unveiled iOS 12 at its WWDC 2018 conference in the US.

The company stated that 81% of active iOS devices are currently running the latest version of iOS, and it expects this trend to continue.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
What USDZ actually is: https://graphics.pixar.com/usd/files/USDZFileFormatSpecification.pdf
not to be confused with USD the currency...

And it’s not just new devices which will benefit, as Apple said iOS 12 will be available on all the same devices as iOS 11 is.

Apple has also focused on making sure older smartphones will receive big performance improvements from the operating system update.
Highly doubt it.

Update doesn't look that compelling, best feature is the voice command to open certain apps.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
This is really cool.

iOS 12 turns your iPhone into a virtual tape measure

Augmented reality was one of the first topics Apple tackled at its yearly WWDC keynote on Monday, with new ARKit2 features in iOS 12 designed to help people put the technology to use in the real world. Chief among them: A new app called Measure that uses the iPhone's camera to calculate the approximate dimensions of whatever it sees.

The demo looked simple enough -- just point your phone at whatever you want to measure, then tap and drag your finger along an edge. Your phone's software will do the rest, giving you an approximate idea of the width, depth or height of whatever you're looking at.

The app can also scan rectangles, then spit out approximate dimensions, which might be a handy way to figure out how big your furniture and artwork is when you're planning on rearranging things in your home.

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
iOS updates for older generation devices is about the only advantage that Apples OS has over Android but who really cares about tech older than 2 years. Any older than that then one should upgrade to newer hardware.

cerebus

Honorary Master
I'm happy they're taking a year to slow down, add some quality of life improvements, and focus on stability and bug fixing. The idea of improving speed on older devices is great, grouped notifications are... I mean... FINALLY. All in all, nothing spectacular but that's not a bad thing.

zippy

Executive Member
iOS updates for older generation devices is about the only advantage that Apples OS has over Android but who really cares about tech older than 2 years. Any older than that then one should upgrade to newer hardware.
I use a 5s. Still going strong. No plans to upgrade. I only change devices when my current one breaks, or I can’t upgrade to the new os. Because I use my phone for banking, purchase from Amazon etc., staying on the latest os is important to me and if I can do that without buying a new device, then that’s a good thing.

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
I have to agree with that as well. You don't have to upgrade every year but the 5S is a very old phone. I'm surprised that the battery has lasted as long as it has.

Sent from my SM-A700F using MyBroadband mobile app