Apple sold more smartphones than Samsung last quarter

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I think this says more about Samsung than Apple. Both companies are struggling with their value proposition. Huawei, OnePlus and Xiaomi are the ones killing it with their offerings.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Apple down 7% to 71.7 million
Samsung down 5% to 70.3 million
Huawei up 40% to 60.5 million

It's pretty clear Huawei is the winner here.
I see a new #1 smartphone manufacturer in 2020

Ira Gnesin

So sick of the Apple/American propaganda machine. Hauwei, or a few other Chinese brands that are threatening Apples power in the industry all of a sudden have major spying operations and cyber security issues, if the Chinese companies really take hold at those sort of price points, Apple has the potential to fall to 4 or 5 place. The snooty b@#*ards couldn't have that. What a joke!
Got a P20 pro instead of a iPhone 8+ and it was the best decision I've made in a long time.

Russell S

I can not justify going back to any Apple phone after using Huawei P20 Pro...
It certainly seems a better phone. For me it misses wireless charging (not that big a deal), headphone jack, and user replaceable battery. I realise I am being old school here but I hate the trend.

Also what is with that stupid notch that everyone is copying!

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Can't get a phone without an aux port, would make it useless to me as I am not taking bluetooth headphones in public transport and I am not going to remember charging it the entire time for earphones.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Can't get a phone without an aux port, would make it useless to me as I am not taking bluetooth headphones in public transport and I am not going to remember charging it the entire time for earphones.
Then I reckon you won’t be having a phone for very much longer.

Five years at best.

Also all phones have the option of using a converter...so they aren’t without the port. Just don’t have a delivered port.

Why can’t you take it on public transport though over normal earphones?

Charging isn’t a big deal. Do you forget to charge your phone? So just throw it into that routine.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Then I reckon you won’t be having a phone for very much longer.

Five years at best.

Also all phones have the option of using a converter...so they aren’t without the port. Just don’t have a delivered port.

Why can’t you take it on public transport though over normal earphones?

Charging isn’t a big deal. Do you forget to charge your phone? So just throw it into that routine.
Five years I hope the Bluetooth standard is good enough so that I don't have to worry about charging more than once a week, current normal in-ear is 8 hours to 12 hours with band if support BT5 LE.
Carrying a dongle seems backwards to me, and the current mess of USB C audio is just plain stupid.
Then wear and tear, I probably already come close to it with my current phone, it's near two years now and the micro usb slot is becoming a bit loose. Imagine if I added audio to it that keeps getting tugged/pressure against it while in my pocket.
Nah, headphones are too big/conspicuous, probs be mugged.
I do forget to charge my phone though, did so about three days ago, but I don't usually charge it every night. Those earphones would have to be charged every night and I would have to get a second plug for it or a hub to charge, more effort for something I never had to worry about. It's just backwards.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Five years I hope the Bluetooth standard is good enough so that I don't have to worry about charging more than once a week, current normal in-ear is 8 hours to 12 hours with band if support BT5 LE.
Carrying a dongle seems backwards to me, and the current mess of USB C audio is just plain stupid.
Then wear and tear, I probably already come close to it with my current phone, it's near two years now and the micro usb slot is becoming a bit loose. Imagine if I added audio to it that keeps getting tugged/pressure against it while in my pocket.
Nah, headphones are too big/conspicuous, probs be mugged.
I do forget to charge my phone though, did so about three days ago, but I don't usually charge it every night. Those earphones would have to be charged every night and I would have to get a second plug for it or a hub to charge, more effort for something I never had to worry about. It's just backwards.
I see it as progression, but to each their own.

It has given me so much freedom in the wireless sense but also just to happily use on all my devices without plugging in or out anything.

I had assumed headphones instead of earphones but sure I don’t know how long the earphones go. Air pods get 20 hours apparently and then charge more in the case but can’t recall he “total” as such. Don’t have them.

I get an apparent 20hours on my headphones but have never measured or felt short changed by it. I simply put them on charter after I’ve heard the low battery warning.

Don’t recall ever running them flat and finding them dead.

But that being said I’m not a super heavy user wearing them for endless hours a day.

Ironically I have a headphone socket and don’t use it so it’s long forgotten already.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I see it as progression, but to each their own.

It has given me so much freedom in the wireless sense but also just to happily use on all my devices without plugging in or out anything.

I had assumed headphones instead of earphones but sure I don’t know how long the earphones go. Air pods get 20 hours apparently and then charge more in the case but can’t recall he “total” as such. Don’t have them.

I get an apparent 20hours on my headphones but have never measured or felt short changed by it. I simply put them on charter after I’ve heard the low battery warning.

Don’t recall ever running them flat and finding them dead.

But that being said I’m not a super heavy user wearing them for endless hours a day.

Ironically I have a headphone socket and don’t use it so it’s long forgotten already.
Would be fine with my headphones in terms of bluetooth, have a pair of Sennheiser HD 4.50, battery life is like 2/3 days usage, so ~20 hours.
Problem is I spend about 3 hours a day in transit, then probably listen to another 2/3 hours of music most days at home, so min. 5 hours of battery life required with highly probable 8+ hour days. It's why I find Spotify such a bargain, R60 for the amount I use it is insane.

Again, usage patterns are important, for e..g my brother 2 hours would usually be more than enough as it would be on odd days where he doesn't want to use e.g. car speakers or the sound system.

For Airpods:
  • Your AirPods can get up to 5 hours of listening time or 2 hours of talk time on a single charge.
  • With multiple charges in your case, you get more than 24 hours of listening time, or up to 11 hours of talk time.
  • If you charge your AirPods for 15 minutes in your case, you get up to 3 hours of listening time or over an hour of talk time.
https://support.apple.com/en-za/HT207012
Could probably make it work, but I think they use bluetooth 5 spec for those values, when I get my new phone I'll probably have those numbers. Still wouldn't be enough without carrying the case around for charging, but I'd probably carry it around so it could work.

Just talking about time though, would not want the airpods, e.g. stupidity of not allowing it so that if one ear is out that you can keep it playing makes it near instantly useless.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Would be fine with my headphones in terms of bluetooth, have a pair of Sennheiser HD 4.50, battery life is like 2/3 days usage, so ~20 hours.
Problem is I spend about 3 hours a day in transit, then probably listen to another 2/3 hours of music most days at home, so min. 5 hours of battery life required with highly probable 8+ hour days. It's why I find Spotify such a bargain, R60 for the amount I use it is insane.

Again, usage patterns are important, for e..g my brother 2 hours would usually be more than enough as it would be on odd days where he doesn't want to use e.g. car speakers or the sound system.

For Airpods:

Could probably make it work, but I think they use bluetooth 5 spec for those values, when I get my new phone I'll probably have those numbers. Still wouldn't be enough without carrying the case around for charging, but I'd probably carry it around so it could work.

Just talking about time though, would not want the airpods, e.g. stupidity of not allowing it so that if one ear is out that you can keep it playing makes it near instantly useless.
He he, have the same Sennies so that was where my comments arise from.

Don’t Huawei have their own clones of the Airpods that they sell with the phones?

Fox1

Expert Member
PSA: The much debated notch can be turned off at any time with Huawei devices.