Apple to release video streaming service in April – Report

greg0205

Honorary Master
HBO hasn't signed on to the service yet but still may do so...

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
HBO hasn't signed on to the service yet but still may do so...

Multichoice has exclusive rights to the best HBO shows, so won't make a difference to SA if HBO joins the US catalogue.

greg0205

Honorary Master
Multichoice has exclusive rights to the best HBO shows, so won't make a difference to SA if HBO joins the US catalogue.
Unless, you know, you're one of those folk who run a smart DNS or VPN for your streaming content.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Unless, you know, you're one of those folk who run a smart DNS or VPN for your streaming content.
Those are getting less and less reliable. I used to switch smart DNS services every 2-3 months to restore BBC iPlayer and US Netflix - now I just use local Netflix and DStv. I'm tired of dealing with that crap. Getflix had by far the longest unbroken run of functionality, but even they were beaten for a long time. Only yesterday BBC was working again, and I can be sure it won't last long.

If Apple want to make life hell for foreign users, they can. And chances are they will.

greg0205

Honorary Master
Those are getting less and less reliable. I used to switch smart DNS services every 2-3 months to restore BBC iPlayer and US Netflix - now I just use local Netflix and DStv. I'm tired of dealing with that crap. Getflix had by far the longest unbroken run of functionality, but even they were beaten for a long time. Only yesterday BBC was working again, and I can be sure it won't last long.

If Apple want to make life hell for foreign users, they can. And chances are they will.
I'm using Getflix right now. I know you can't extrapolate from personal experience, but it's been faultless for me.

I'm sure Apple will throw up road-blocks, the biggest one IMO will still be a US based payment method.