Apple TV+ launched in South Africa

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Apple TV+ launched in South Africa

Apple TV+ has launched in South Africa, with local users now able to sign up for the streaming service.

The service is priced at R84.99 per month locally, but users who buy a new iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, or Apple Mac will receive 1 year of Apple TV+ for free.

system32

Expert Member
Seems expensive:
  • R84.99 per month subscription for 15 shows.
  • Plus R39.99 per month for Addon Smithsonian History Channel
  • Plus R160 per movie (buy)
  • Plus R44.99 per movie (rent)
Does not support Nvidia Shield.

Info from MyBB.
Am I missing something?

Last edited:

Dolby

Honorary Master
So the cheapest thing to get 1 year free is an Apple TV at 2.5k or something?

Dolby

Honorary Master
Don't think that will get the 1 year free since it is not apple hardware. I am however unable to rent, buy or subscribe from the samsung smart tv app. Had to go subscribe on web browser now it is working on app
I was opposite - I've been trying all day to register on the web, and it keeps telling me 'coming later this year' and 'enter email address to be notified'. I had to wait until I was home and I did everything on the Samsung TV

Gudnews

'For all mankind' sounds interesting. I'll scour the high seas and see when it'll be available for capture.

Tector

I was opposite - I've been trying all day to register on the web, and it keeps telling me 'coming later this year' and 'enter email address to be notified'. I had to wait until I was home and I did everything on the Samsung TV
Weird. What model Samsung do you have?

Tector

'For all mankind' sounds interesting. I'll scour the high seas and see when it'll be available for capture.
Watched the first episode and it is average. Well if you are really into space. It not, then I'd say below average...

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Expensive AF compared to what you get from others.
How so?

Even single show is Dolby Vision supported, unlike others where you need to pay more for Ultra HD packages (and it’s only on some shows )or go completely without because it’s not there.

Granted there isn’t much content wise yet, but it will come.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Granted there isn’t much content wise yet, but it will come.
I think that's what he means - R90.00pm for ... 10 shows?
Yet Netflix isn't much more for thousands of shows, with Dolby Vision HDR / Atmos etc as well.

But I'm more than happy to pay. I reckon it can only get better

EDIT : I think you do pay extra to rent / buy a movie in SD/HD though, through standard ATV?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I think that's what he means - R90.00pm for ... 10 shows?
Yet Netflix isn't much more for thousands of shows, with Dolby Vision HDR / Atmos etc as well.

But I'm more than happy to pay. I reckon it can only get better

EDIT : I think you do pay extra to rent / buy a movie in SD/HD though, through standard ATV?
Yeah but rent and buy is a stand alone thing to streaming and also not offered by others. Also very well priced.

At the price of cinema tickets these days it’s a much better deal to buy the movie outright within a month or three on ATV.

Sadly no TV shows for us but maybe that will change now.

But yeah I can understand a complaint about price in the here and now at launch but down the line I think it’s a pretty solid price.

JacquesZA

Seems expensive:
  • R84.99 per month subscription for 15 shows.
  • Plus R39.99 per month for Addon Smithsonian History Channel
  • Plus R160 per movie (buy)
  • Plus R44.99 per movie (rent)
Does not support Nvidia Shield.

Info from MyBB.
Am I missing something?
Missing that it is free for the 1st 12 months.
By then catalog will have grown...

Also 44 is for a hd movie rental, older and sd are cheaper.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Well I got my free 12 month trial, my Apple iPad is only three months old so guess that was good enough to still work :) There was literally nothing in that mini-catalogue to tempt me to watch, but maybe in a few months.

Botha22

I watched two shows today. If this is considered good value at R90 then Netflix and DSTV must be the bargains of the century.

I bet all companies wish they had customers (fans?) as loyal as Apple's. Even when something is clearly a turd the Apple fan will rationalize - "It will get better".

Last edited:

Dolby

Honorary Master
I bet all companies wish they had customers (fans?) as loyal as Apple's
I agree with this - the fans have an answer for everything and most believe the company does nothing wrong, everything right - and everything at the right time.

Even when something is clearly a turd the Apple fan will rationalize - "It will get better".
But this I disagree with. I don't like the company or the products, but this day 2 and you're judging a streaming service as a fail?

Botha22

I agree with this - the fans have an answer for everything and most believe the company does nothing wrong, everything right - and everything at the right time.

But this I disagree with. I don't like the company or the products, but this day 2 and you're judging a streaming service as a fail?
I don't hate Apple. I have an iPad and an iPhone, that's how I got the free subs.

I am judging this service on the number of series and episodes for those who are not on 12 month free trials.

There is so little to watch on Apple TV+, Apple's servers will hardly be tested, and so you should get a smooth streaming service.

Read the disparaging comments on mybb about Showmax, DSTV Now and other streaming services, and tell me how this gets a free pass. That was my gripe.