Apple TV+ launched in South Africa

Tander

Executive Member
Will be trying this service out. Bought an Apple TV whilst I was in Las Vegas, in September, just before they announced it. So I get a years free sub. :cool:

Hasie6

Lol Apple and Bose people.
Increase the price and think quality is better.(my wife included)
Hitman Agent 47 - Blue ray R47 lol

Aqua_lung

Honorary Master
Really nice of Apple to include a notification that I have 1 year's free subscription to TV+. I was not aware of this as an owner of a new device until I got the notification.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Seems expensive:
  • R84.99 per month subscription for 15 shows.
  • Plus R39.99 per month for Addon Smithsonian History Channel
  • Plus R160 per movie (buy)
  • Plus R44.99 per movie (rent)
Does not support Nvidia Shield.

Info from MyBB.
Am I missing something?
Its basically the best quality streaming avaible right now, it has Dolby vision and dolby atmos. Quality is definitely better then netflix. Not worth the price, but man it really makes good use of your tv capabilities if you have Dolby vision.

Reactions: Yuu

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
I've got a Q70R.

It was plastered all over the app... Just selected and it asked if I wanted to start my free trial
Wont really be as good on a Samsung, samsung did not pay licensing fees to use dolby vision on there tvs. I would love to see the content on an lg OLED!

Dolby

Honorary Master
Wont really be as good on a Samsung, samsung did not pay licensing fees to use dolby vision on there tvs. I would love to see the content on an lg OLED!
Don't fool yourself - Dolby Vision is something that the elitists try to push.

The real world difference is very different to what they tell you

Last edited:

system32

Expert Member
Its basically the best quality streaming avaible right now, it has Dolby vision and dolby atmos. Quality is definitely better then netflix. Not worth the price, but man it really makes good use of your tv capabilities if you have Dolby vision.
Not so sure about the "Apple best quality streaming available right now" - you been drinking too much Apple Kool-aid.
Netflix supports Ultra HD/4K, Dolby Vision/HDR10, Dolby Atmos on many titles if you have certified Dolby Digital Plus equipment:
  • 4K screen with HDCP 2.2, certified for Dolby Vision/HDR10
  • Home theater amplifier and surround speakers, certified for and Dolby Atmos
  • 25Mbps line
  • 4 Screen Netflix plan
  • Streaming quality set to High
Without checking, I suspect most streaming services do the same.

My eyes are bent, knees are dim, my wallet is thin and my equipment is 42" 1080p with soundbar.

Last edited:

Dolby

Honorary Master
I'm not an Apple fan at all - but I do agree with him on teh image quality

Netflix maxes out at about 15Mbps for their UltraHD - so relatively low. I do prefer the image quality on Apple TV, but their content is quite limited.

I'm not too sure on the sound though - Netflix is known for having decent sound quality

Reactions: Yuu

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
Not so sure about the "Apple best quality streaming available right now" - you been drinking too much Apple Kool-aid.
Netflix supports Ultra HD/4K, Dolby Vision/HDR10, Dolby Atmos on many titles if you have certified Dolby Digital Plus equipment:
  • 4K screen with HDCP 2.2, certified for Dolby Vision/HDR10
  • Home theater amplifier and surround speakers, certified for and Dolby Atmos
  • 25Mbps line
  • 4 Screen Netflix plan
  • Streaming quality set to High

My eyes are bent, knees are dim, my wallet is thin and my equipment is 42" 1080p with soundbar.
See on Apple TV+ peaks at 41Mbps and averages 29Mbps, Netflix maxes out at 16Mbps.

system32

Expert Member
See on Apple TV+ peaks at 41Mbps and averages 29Mbps, Netflix maxes out at 16Mbps.
Mbps does not indicate better picture unless the codec and settings are the same.
Different codecs or different settings on same codec would account for the different Mbps.

Azg

Expert Member
Whilst waiting for Season 2 of The Morning Show and See, what are you watching on AppleTV+?