Apple Users Are ‘Trapped’ in App Store, Epic Says at Trial

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Apple Users Are ‘Trapped’ in App Store, Epic Says at Trial

Epic Games Inc. alleges that Apple Inc.’s App Store has left users and developers “trapped” in an anticompetitive marketplace, while the iPhone maker accuses the creator of Fortnite of a “fundamental assault” on a business model that has enriched millions of developers.

The two companies that were once close allies came out swinging Monday at the start of a trial before a federal judge who must decide whether Apple is monopolizing the marketplace for applications that run on its ubiquitous phones.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
They should also talk about Apple not allowing their customers to use 3rd party dialer and SMS apps. If they did, I wonder what the uptake would be for example people switching to either Phone by Google and Google Messages (with RCS messaging) instead of using the default Apple apps. Appart from tech savvy people, I would guess unfortunately not big knowing Iphone people lol.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
They should also talk about Apple not allowing their customers to use 3rd party dialer and SMS apps. If they did, I wonder what the uptake would be for example people switching to either Phone by Google and Google Messages (with RCS messaging) instead of using the default Apple apps. Appart from tech savvy people, I would guess unfortunately not big knowing Iphone people lol.
What would be the point? Genuine question, not trolling.

I probably send 1 SMS a year, if that. And I usually just use Siri to make calls, but when I do use the dialer app, it works fine. What features am I missing by not having access to Google's version?

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
What would be the point? Genuine question, not trolling.

I probably send 1 SMS a year, if that. And I usually just use Siri to make calls, but when I do use the dialer app, it works fine. What features am I missing by not having access to Google's version?
Google have got pretty great Spam detection and Caller ID functionality. Regarding the SMS app, Google Messages supports RCS messaging which is available on every Android now pretty much if you use either Samsung or download Google Messages. But like I said, and like you have now proven, Apple people wont make that switch, even if it were allowed on their phones.

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Trapped? It's a choice isn't it? My wife, for example, wouldn't want it any other way. She has no intention or desire of going back to Android.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Google have got pretty great Spam detection and Caller ID functionality. Regarding the SMS app, Google Messages supports RCS messaging which is available on every Android now pretty much if you use either Samsung or download Google Messages. But like I said, and like you have now proven, Apple people wont make that switch, even if it were allowed on their phones.
Spam detection would be nice to have, but I guess Truecaller is an option if that's an issue for you. I don't get much spam so it's a non-issue. RCS - I guess that's cool, but not very useful if you mainly use Whatsapp or Telegram. I mean I have iMessage and I never use that either.

Not an argument against these services, I just don't see any need for them, personally. And that's not because I have an iPhone, they just don't seem like apps that would improve my life in any meaningful way.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
The ecosystem is the whole point for Apple users.

Jesus.

"Well you know, BMW insists buyers must have BMW engines in their cars, and we think that's totally unfair" - Epic Games, probably.
The engine is fine. It is afterall what makes a BMW a BMW. But imagine you were locked into ONLY use BMW branded consumables on your car, like BMW oil, BMW petrol, BMW tyres, BMW anti freeze, etc. But with BMW you can use Castrol oil, you can by Dunlop tyres for it and so on. You are not locked into their ecosystem so completely.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
The engine is fine. It is afterall what makes a BMW a BMW. But imagine you were locked into ONLY use BMW branded consumables on your car, like BMW oil, BMW petrol, BMW tyres, BMW anti freeze, etc. But with BMW you can use Castrol oil, you can by Dunlop tyres for it and so on. You are not locked into their ecosystem so completely.
Non-iOS people seem to have this idea that everything is Apple-centric. But if you look on the App Store, it's filled with apps NOT made by Apple.

I still have never heard a convincing argument for why it is so terrible, other than the apps are verified by Apple and generally safe, compared to being able to install anything on an Android which potentially could be dodgy.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
The ecosystem is the whole point for Apple users.

Jesus.

"Well you know, BMW insists buyers must have BMW engines in their cars, and we think that's totally unfair" - Epic Games, probably.
It's a fair point though. A fat chunk of the apps I use on macOS are not available in the App Store. It should be possible for developers to take the same approach for iOS if they think they have enough pulling power to draw in customers directly.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Trapped? It's a choice isn't it? My wife, for example, wouldn't want it any other way. She has no intention or desire of going back to Android.
whole business model is built that way, we make money from their choices either way.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Non-iOS people seem to have this idea that everything is Apple-centric. But if you look on the App Store, it's filled with apps NOT made by Apple.

I still have never heard a convincing argument for why it is so terrible, other than the apps are verified by Apple and generally safe, compared to being able to install anything on an Android which potentially could be dodgy.

No, I have no issue with the idea of having a safe App store. I am talking specifically about setting default apps like your dialer and SMS apps. Android allows you to use a 3rd party one for both if you wish and you can download these apps via the Google Play Store, but Apple does not allow this.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
No, I have no issue with the idea of having a safe App store. I am talking specifically about setting default apps like your dialer and SMS apps. Android allows you to use a 3rd party one for both if you wish and you can download these apps via the Google Play Store, but Apple does not allow this.
Okay, I get that. I'd be more supportive if they were apps I gave a crap about, but they're probably the two least used apps on my phone so it's a non-issue for me.

Looney

Executive Member

Not sure what’s wrong with the dialer and Messages app on iPhone but seems to work fine for me.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Not sure what’s wrong with the dialer and Messages app on iPhone but seems to work fine for me.
Not saying there is anything wrong with them. Just saying people dont have a choice unlike Android users. Imagine if Windows only allowed you to use their Edge browser and you were not allowed to use Chrome. Sure, there is nothing wrong with Edge maybe, but some people want to use Chrome instead on their machines.

Vorastra

Executive Member
There's no obligation for Apple who makes both the device and store to allow other stores on the devices they build.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Not saying there is anything wrong with them. Just saying people dont have a choice unlike Android users. Imagine if Windows only allowed you to use their Edge browser and you were not allowed to use Chrome. Sure, there is nothing wrong with Edge maybe, but some people want to use Chrome instead on their machines.
Poor example though. A browser is something that is broadly used (and iOS do allow support of various browsers). Better example would be - imagine Windows only allowed you to use the Windows Calculator. Who cares :D