Apple Users Are ‘Trapped’ in App Store, Epic Says at Trial

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
30% to apple is pretty steep. I still stand with epic since apple is profiting big time on doing nothing but host other peoples work and sell semen coloured stuff to make it look trendy.
Epic didn’t have to use the infrastructure.
Pay to play.

Swa

Honorary Master
Missing my ecosystem point.

So maybe that walled garden isn't for you... but I ain't you either.

What works for me works for me. What works for you works for you... The choice I make with my Apple gear is on me, and I choose the App Store as part of that package.

So yeah, where do I sign up for Apple tyres and Apple roads and Apple oil?

Epic have a choice here; meet Apple's developer ToS or sell their games elsewhere...

If bakers can't be forced to sell cakes to gay couples, Apple doesn't have to sell Epic games in their store

'Murica.
That's not really the point. The closed off ecosystem works for you because it's your choice. It does not accommodate others with a different choice.

It's called an XBOX. MS allows game developers to sell their games on it. They can ban any of them at any time for any reason.

My computer is not made by Microsoft. They have no control over what software, and OS, I install on it.

Windows markets itself as an Operating System, a product where you can install whatever you want on it. That's the product. Thus why they were hit with antitrust regarding bundling their browser as it crushed others who competed with them to make browsers for the OS.

Apple does not market any of its phone, tablet, or watches as such. It markets them as Apple ecosystems. Device and software. One thing.

Do you expect to be able to access the PlayStation Store from your XBOX? No.

BTW, I say that all as a person who dislikes Apple devices (albeit they are well made), and would like it if other stores and such were allowed.
That's just semantics. Microsoft controls the store but they don't stop you from installing a game from a disk.

This would mean literally nothing to Apple.
They could implement the entire 5G spec bar RCS and there's nothing that can be done.
How do we know this? There's literally an iPhone with 5G that doesn't support RCS.
Not if they want them to be GSMA devices, then they have to implement it. Apple abusers probably won't care though.

prOd

Expert Member
That's just semantics. Microsoft controls the store but they don't stop you from installing a game from a disk.

???

The disk is just the medium...does MS allow you to install a pirated (i.e. altered) game via disk?

Moosedrool

Executive Member
???

The disk is just the medium...does MS allow you to install a pirated (i.e. altered) game via disk?

Yes. Microsoft doesn't enforce the law.

They also allow you to install the steam store, Itunes, the epic store etc...

Reactions: Swa

Swa

Honorary Master
On XBOX...?
From what I understand yes. Might have to go into developer mode but doesn't change that MS does allow you to do anything the OS is capable of.

prOd

Expert Member
From what I understand yes. Might have to go into developer mode but doesn't change that MS does allow you to do anything the OS is capable of.

Ehh okay:

Developer Mode, you can develop and test software for the console, but you cannot play retail games or run retail apps.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Not the same thing, developer mode places restrictions on what you can do in terms of retail.
You still need to go through the Store to sign your package even if you use a disk.

Vorastra

Executive Member
That's just semantics.
That's antitrust law.

Microsoft controls the store but they don't stop you from installing a game from a disk.
On an XBOX...? They absolutely do control if a disk can install a game on your XBOX.

What are you talking about...

greg0205

Honorary Master
Does not change that Ios doesn't allow choice.
Choices I don't want or need.

You might, and wouldn't you know, you can make those choices on a Samsung, or a Huawei, or an LG, or a OnePlus, or a Pixel, or an Asus, or a ZTE and so on.

Swa

Honorary Master
Ehh okay:

Developer Mode, you can develop and test software for the console, but you cannot play retail games or run retail apps.
How can you not play them if you can test them? It's not officially supported but there are instructions on the web for using developer mode for installing and playing games.

Choices I don't want or need.

You might, and wouldn't you know, you can make those choices on a Samsung, or a Huawei, or an LG, or a OnePlus, or a Pixel, or an Asus, or a ZTE and so on.
And that's YOUR choice. The point is I don't have that choice if I go with Apple. You think the law only applies to those other makes and not Apple?

prOd

Expert Member
How can you not play them if you can test them? It's not officially supported but there are instructions on the web for using developer mode for installing and playing games.

I honestly fail to see your point. What does developer mode have to do with retail stores?

Vorastra gave a pretty good example of cases where companies control the store and hardware of a device, i.e. no different to what Apple is doing with their phones.

Half of Epic's argument falls flat because why are they fine with other companies doing exactly that but not Apple? Apple is not even their largest form of revenue for Fortnite...not by a mile.

Vorastra

Executive Member
We're talking from a legal point of view. Not only is it not officially supported, it's illegal to do so on an XBOX through dev mode.

If we use that same logic then you have plenty of options on an iPhone because you can illegally jailbreak it.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master

And that's YOUR choice. The point is I don't have that choice if I go with Apple. You think the law only applies to those other makes and not Apple?
Keep the **** posting for the political threads, you aren’t testing retail games.
Please stop you have no idea what you’re on about, you might be conflating dev-mode with a dev-kit.