Apple Users Are ‘Trapped’ in App Store, Epic Says at Trial

Swa

Honorary Master
I honestly fail to see your point. What does developer mode have to do with retail stores?

Vorastra gave a pretty good example of cases where companies control the store and hardware of a device, i.e. no different to what Apple is doing with their phones.
The point is there's a choice even if it's not supported.

Half of Epic's argument falls flat because why are they fine with other companies doing exactly that but not Apple? Apple is not even their largest form of revenue for Fortnite...not by a mile.
Does all those restrict them from using workarounds?

We're talking from a legal point of view. Not only is it not officially supported, it's illegal to do so on an XBOX through dev mode.

If we use that same logic then you have plenty of options on an iPhone because you can illegally jailbreak it.
There's nothing illegal about it. Show me the law which makes it illegal. People throw around the word illegal too easily.

Swa

Honorary Master
Keep the **** posting for the political threads, you aren’t testing retail games.
Please stop you have no idea what you’re on about, you might be conflating dev-mode with a dev-kit.
It's clear you don't know what's being talked about.

Vorastra

Executive Member

Vorastra

Executive Member
I don't have an Iphone. Why should I need to jailbreak it?
You're arguing that Apple doesn't give a choice, all the while saying XBOX does because you can illegally sideload through dev mode.
So illegally sideload on your (figurative) jailbroken iPhone.
Choice.

So no law...
The agreement you accept is that law. It's legally binding. If MS found out and really wanted to go after you, they could for breaching the agreement. Them being able to go after you is the "law" part.

Swa

Honorary Master
You're arguing that Apple doesn't give a choice, all the while saying XBOX does because you can illegally sideload through dev mode.
So illegally sideload on your (figurative) jailbroken iPhone.
Choice.
It's not illegal. And the difference is that jailbreaking is a workaround while developer mode is specifically enabled as a setting.

The agreement you accept is that law. It's legally binding. If MS found out and really wanted to go after you, they could for breaching the agreement. Them being able to go after you is the "law" part.
That's not the same as illegal but rather a civil matter and not much they can do as an end user as well. Illegal is when there's a law specifically making something illegal. Besides sideloading apps and games isn't even prohibited under the agreement.

prOd

Expert Member
It's not illegal. And the difference is that jailbreaking is a workaround while developer mode is specifically enabled as a setting.

That's not the same as illegal but rather a civil matter and not much they can do as an end user as well. Illegal is when there's a law specifically making something illegal. Besides sideloading apps and games isn't even prohibited under the agreement.

How hard is this to understand?

You do not have a choice of which store front to use when you want to publish your xbox/ps/nintendo app on their respective platforms.

Developer mode has literally nothing to do with the issue at hand.

greg0205

Honorary Master
Remember how long it took for iPhones to finally get a file manager.

LOL

And yet, I've been the happy owner of an iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4S, 5S, 6S, X and 11 Pro Max, and my next phone will absolutely, positively be a 13 Pro Max later this year... Then the '23, '25, '27, '29, '31, '33, '35 ∞ iPhones.

Here's a recent clip of me in the Apple ecosystem...

giphy.gif

Swa

Honorary Master
How hard is this to understand?

You do not have a choice of which store front to use when you want to publish your xbox/ps/nintendo app on their respective platforms.

Developer mode has literally nothing to do with the issue at hand.
Yes, I don't see why it's so hard to understand. You can run ANY app or game on your Xbox that was NOT published on their storefront. That's the point of choice and not whether it's being exercised.

Vorastra

Executive Member
Developer mode becomes an illegal workaround the moment you break the agreement.

That's not the same as illegal but rather a civil matter and not much they can do as an end user as well. Illegal is when there's a law specifically making something illegal.

Actually ridiculous. Usually when people are wrong, they don't double down and just blatantly lie.
A civil case is literally you taking someone to court because you believe they have broken a law that protects your rights.

It even has it's own name:
Civil law. As opposed to criminal law.

In this case, the law would be the thing allowing a binding agreement (provided it doesn't break the law itself) between two parties. You breaking that agreement means you have broken the law protecting another party's rights, which under that law the punishment would mean the affected party can enforce the agreement and demand compensation.

You have thus broken civil law....

You are literally arguing with me about what a "law" is.

Besides sideloading apps and games isn't even prohibited under the agreement.

Literally the first line:
You may activate your Xbox One retail console as a console to test development of applications for the Xbox One (a "Devkit") including demonstrating your applications.

Disappointed.jpg

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Yes, I don't see why it's so hard to understand. You can run ANY app or game on your Xbox that was NOT published on their storefront. That's the point of choice and not whether it's being exercised.
Prove it lol