Apple Users Are ‘Trapped’ in App Store, Epic Says at Trial

Archer

Honorary Master
Hopefully Epic's lawyers have better arguments, otherwise they are fscked o_O
Their argument is in part that MacOS exists, so why can't iOS behave the same way. Seems like a decent argument to me

Reactions: Swa

Archer

Honorary Master
So can I put a Xiaomi battery (the petrol) or OnePlus screen (the tyres) into a Samsung handset?
Silly hour has arrived.
Next we'll be asking why can't I put my Toyota Tazz windshield onto a BMW i3.

Dave

Honorary Master
Silly hour has arrived.
Next we'll be asking why can't I put my Toyota Tazz windshield onto a BMW i3.

That’s exactly my point, the original silly comment was that Apple expect you to use Apple parts and services with your Apple iPhone.

It was along the lines of an extreme analogy of BMW expecting you to use a BMW engine, BMW petrol and BMW tyres.

Archer

Honorary Master
That’s exactly my point, the original silly comment was that Apple expect you to use Apple parts and services with your Apple iPhone.

It was along the lines of an extreme analogy of BMW expecting you to use a BMW engine, BMW petrol and BMW tyres.
Well, if we look at right to repair lawsuits also being levelled at Apple I'd say that the original comment is correct regarding parts at least (but probably also correct when applied to most other phone manufacturers). And since the only apps you're allowed to install while keeping warranty intact are Apple approves, that part is correct too

Archer

Honorary Master
They are also suing Google, though.
Ok? Doesn't change whether or not the arguments they use in this case have merit. It might make the Google one silly, I'll give you that

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Their argument is in part that MacOS exists, so why can't iOS behave the same way. Seems like a decent argument to me
Their argument keeps changing that’s the only constant to this entire thing.

Who ever planned this really didn’t think it out for the implications it would have if they won, trying to fall back on Unreal Engine was even more dumb.

Epic won’t allow Xbox Game Streaming for Fortnite, which just leaves them looking like hypocrites.

prOd

Expert Member
Ok? Doesn't change whether or not the arguments they use in this case have merit. It might make the Google one silly, I'll give you that

Both are silly, Epic is just being greedy...but somehow they are seen as the heroes in this case

Swa

Honorary Master

The only silly thing is the comparisons now being made, aka reductio ad absurdum. Of course you can't put in a battery for a different model than your Samsung. But you can put in a generic battery made for your Samsung by any other manufacturer. Can you do that with an Apple without getting a permanent warning?

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
As an aside, I have discovered an interesting idea recently.

In speaking with many android users in my friend's circle, a common theme amongst them, and reason for not liking iPhones, is because, "they are expensive to run and iOS is costly."

Pulling the thread, not one of them could point to an actual cost, just that they know they are "costly to use". Seems to be an idea that you pay for everything (apps etc) when you use Apple. When I point out I only pay for Netflix and Apple Music (much like they pay for Spotify), they are unable to reconcile this idea. When I show them that downloading apps is free, except a paid app (which is also a paid app on the Google Play Store), they remain skeptical.

Somewhere, the idea has gotten in that Apple users pay for everything. Very strange, very interesting. This is across different friend groups, not isolated.
I've had family members argue that iPhones use more data too...

Go figure