Apple Users Are ‘Trapped’ in App Store, Epic Says at Trial

Archer

Honorary Master
Hopefully Epic's lawyers have better arguments, otherwise they are fscked o_O
Their argument is in part that MacOS exists, so why can't iOS behave the same way. Seems like a decent argument to me

Reactions: Swa

Archer

Honorary Master
So can I put a Xiaomi battery (the petrol) or OnePlus screen (the tyres) into a Samsung handset?
Silly hour has arrived.
Next we'll be asking why can't I put my Toyota Tazz windshield onto a BMW i3.

Dave

Honorary Master
Silly hour has arrived.
Next we'll be asking why can't I put my Toyota Tazz windshield onto a BMW i3.

That’s exactly my point, the original silly comment was that Apple expect you to use Apple parts and services with your Apple iPhone.

It was along the lines of an extreme analogy of BMW expecting you to use a BMW engine, BMW petrol and BMW tyres.

Archer

Honorary Master
That’s exactly my point, the original silly comment was that Apple expect you to use Apple parts and services with your Apple iPhone.

It was along the lines of an extreme analogy of BMW expecting you to use a BMW engine, BMW petrol and BMW tyres.
Well, if we look at right to repair lawsuits also being levelled at Apple I'd say that the original comment is correct regarding parts at least (but probably also correct when applied to most other phone manufacturers). And since the only apps you're allowed to install while keeping warranty intact are Apple approves, that part is correct too

Archer

Honorary Master
They are also suing Google, though.
Ok? Doesn't change whether or not the arguments they use in this case have merit. It might make the Google one silly, I'll give you that

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Their argument is in part that MacOS exists, so why can't iOS behave the same way. Seems like a decent argument to me
Their argument keeps changing that’s the only constant to this entire thing.

Who ever planned this really didn’t think it out for the implications it would have if they won, trying to fall back on Unreal Engine was even more dumb.

Epic won’t allow Xbox Game Streaming for Fortnite, which just leaves them looking like hypocrites.

prOd

Expert Member
Ok? Doesn't change whether or not the arguments they use in this case have merit. It might make the Google one silly, I'll give you that

Both are silly, Epic is just being greedy...but somehow they are seen as the heroes in this case

Swa

Honorary Master

The only silly thing is the comparisons now being made, aka reductio ad absurdum. Of course you can't put in a battery for a different model than your Samsung. But you can put in a generic battery made for your Samsung by any other manufacturer. Can you do that with an Apple without getting a permanent warning?

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
As an aside, I have discovered an interesting idea recently.

In speaking with many android users in my friend's circle, a common theme amongst them, and reason for not liking iPhones, is because, "they are expensive to run and iOS is costly."

Pulling the thread, not one of them could point to an actual cost, just that they know they are "costly to use". Seems to be an idea that you pay for everything (apps etc) when you use Apple. When I point out I only pay for Netflix and Apple Music (much like they pay for Spotify), they are unable to reconcile this idea. When I show them that downloading apps is free, except a paid app (which is also a paid app on the Google Play Store), they remain skeptical.

Somewhere, the idea has gotten in that Apple users pay for everything. Very strange, very interesting. This is across different friend groups, not isolated.
I've had family members argue that iPhones use more data too...

Go figure

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

Apple must allow other forms of in-app purchases, rules judge in Epic v. Apple​

A major win for Epic Games and Fortnite

Judge Yvonne Gonzalez-Rogers issued a permanent injunction in the Epic v. Apple case on Friday morning, handing a major setback to Apple’s App Store model and bringing months of bitter legal jousting to a conclusion.

Under the new order, Apple is:

"permanently restrained and enjoined from prohibiting developers from including in their apps and their metadata buttons, external links, or other calls to action that direct customers to purchasing mechanisms, in addition to In-App Purchasing and communicating with customers through points of contact obtained voluntarily from customers through account registration within the app."

In short, iOS apps must be allowed to direct users to payment options beyond those offered by Apple. The injunction is scheduled to take effect in 90 days — on December 9th — unless it is enjoined by a higher court.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

Epic tests Apple with new request: let us relaunch Fortnite in Korea​

Following the passing of a bill allowing alternative payment systems on the App Store

Epic Games has asked Apple to reinstate its Fortnite developer account so it can release the game in South Korea, following the passage of a bill that will force Apple and Google to let apps use alternative payment systems.

“Epic has asked Apple to restore our Fortnite developer account,” Epic said in a tweet on the official Fortnite account. “Epic intends to re-release Fortnite on iOS in Korea offering both Epic payment and Apple payment side-by-side in compliance with the new Korean law.”

It’s unclear if Apple will agree to the request, or if Epic’s intentions are genuine: after all, Epic used Apple’s responses to its prior demands to help spring its original #FreeFortnite legal trap.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Epic didn't have their way though,

At the same time, the court affirmed that Epic Games was in breach of its contract with Apple when it implemented the alternative payment system in the Fortnite app. As a result, Epic must pay Apple 30 percent of all revenue collected through the system since it was implemented — a sum of more than $3.5 million.

In the full ruling, Judge Gonzalez-Rogers explained her thinking on the issue in greater detail. Notably, the judge rejected both parties’ definition of the marketplace at issue in the case. “The relevant market here is digital mobile gaming transactions, not gaming generally and not Apple’s own internal operating systems related to the App Store,” Gonzalez-Rogers wrote.

Under that market definition, “the court cannot ultimately conclude that Apple is a monopolist under either federal or state antitrust laws,” she continued. “Nonetheless, the trial did show that Apple is engaging in anti-competitive conduct under California’s competition laws.”

but Apple, Google, etc, incl. Epic and Steam must now allow apps to use alternative payment systems. Though, I have already seen this in apps published on Google Play Store.

Apple declared the ruling as an Apple victory in regard to the antitrust allegations.

prOd

Expert Member

Tim Sweeney being a bitter billionaire again. This is a win for developers in general on some front, except for Epic: they did Apple a favour in some ways. As I said before, this was never about 'being the good guy', the judge saw right through them from the start:

"Let's be clear. Epic is here because if relief is granted, it goes from being a multi-billion-dollar company to a multi-trillion-dollar company. But it's not doing it out of the goodness of its heart," she said.

Last edited:

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Tim Sweeney being a bitter billionaire again. This is a win for developers in general on some front, except for Epic: they did Apple a favour in some ways. As I said before, this was never about 'being the good guy', the judge saw right through them from the start:
Well he did get their account terminated and they might have to pay Apple.
I still think Apple could have prevented this whole situation by putting a cap in place for the fees.
Also interesting the judge took that steering approach.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Share price took a big hit:
Apple loses $85 billion in value after app store ruling

Apple shares suffered their steepest selloff in months on Friday after a federal judge ordered the company to change the way it operates its App Store, which would hurt the profitability of that business unit.

The stock fell 3.3%, its biggest decline since May 4, erasing about $85 billion from the iPhone maker’s market capitalization. The size of the loss is bigger than all but 98 components of the S&P 500 Index.

A federal judge granted an injunction sought by Epic Games Inc. which would allow developers to steer consumers outside payment methods for mobile apps. It also ordered the game maker to pay damages to Apple for breach of contract.

Friday’s slump handed Apple its first weekly decline in three weeks. The stock remains up more than 12% so far this year.

The S&P 500 Index fell 0.8% on Friday. As the largest component of the benchmark index, with a market value above $2.4 trillion, Apple accounted for about a quarter of the benchmark’s decline.

- Bloomberg