Apple Watch Discussion

Dave

Honorary Master
In addition to discovering exclusive iPhone XS details today, 9to5Mac can exclusively share the first look at the new Apple Watch Series 4. This is the new Apple Watch that we believe Apple will unveil at its special event announced earlier today.

The biggest change is the all-new edge-to-edge display. Apple has been rumored to be working on ~15% bigger displays for both sizes of Apple Watch — that rumor has been confirmed in the images we’ve discovered. As expected, Apple has achieved this by dramatically reducing the bezel size around the watch display.

In addition to taking the display edge-to-edge, we’re also looking at a brand new watch face capable of showing way more information than the current faces offered. The analog watch face shows a total of eight complications around the time and within the clock hands. While we haven’t seen a new digital face yet, it’s likely that Apple has designed more new watch faces to take advantage of the larger display.
3D0C1AF3-824C-4157-812E-7E4723F18E66.jpeg

https://9to5mac.com/2018/08/30/exclusive-apple-watch-series-4/

Dave

Honorary Master
Correct. Still, I do look at these and wonder what it would take for me to want it.
If you ever get ApplePay in SA, it becomes incredibly convenient for making payments, probably the major reason I have one (though it’s only an S2).

Tander

Expert Member
If you ever get ApplePay in SA, it becomes incredibly convenient for making payments, probably the major reason I have one (though it’s only an S2).
Having recently used Apple Pay whilst I was in the UK this month, I totally agree. It's super convenient.

mattrudlles

Correct. Still, I do look at these and wonder what it would take for me to want it.
Hadn't worn a watch since I was a child and got the Apple Watch for the Discovery Vitality challenge. I thought I would only wear it whilst working out, but it is honestly the most unobtrusive 'band' I have ever worn.

krycor

Honorary Master
So no cellular & no ecg for SA.. so not really worth it guess maybe in the 3rd revision (of cellular) and 2nd for ecg it might finally be available here..

whatwhat

Executive Member
So no cellular & no ecg for SA.. so not really worth it guess maybe in the 3rd revision (of cellular) and 2nd for ecg it might finally be available here..
Ecg isn't even on the US one yet. It might be enabled in 5.1 but not yet.

Hardware is the same, so either wait for it to be enabled in your country or just use a US AppleID.

I am still not enticed towards the use of a smartwatch. How much time does it take to bring out your smartphone from your pocket and do whatever we want to? Just a fashion statement these days I feel.

whatwhat

Executive Member
I am still not enticed towards the use of a smartwatch. How much time does it take to bring out your smartphone from your pocket and do whatever we want to? Just a fashion statement these days I feel.
Depends.

I use it for Apple Pay and for fitness tracking. Notifications are useful too since I can see on my wrist what was being said in a WhatsApp/WeChat conversation and then only need to take my phone out if I need to reply at that moment.

But it's not the end of the world if I leave the watch at home.

Depends.

I use it for Apple Pay and for fitness tracking. Notifications are useful too since I can see on my wrist what was being said in a WhatsApp/WeChat conversation and then only need to take my phone out if I need to reply at that moment.

But it's not the end of the world if I leave the watch at home.
That is what I mean, one can still sustain without the use of a smartwatch. Only place where I believe one can get the best utility of a smartwatch is when you are driving or riding. What concerns me the most is doing things on a very small screen. Still people have their preferences and good for them if they find good utility with a smartwatch.

whatwhat

Executive Member
That is what I mean, one can still sustain without the use of a smartwatch. Only place where I believe one can get the best utility of a smartwatch is when you are driving or riding. What concerns me the most is doing things on a very small screen. Still people have their preferences and good for them if they find good utility with a smartwatch.
I get a lot of use of mine. I live and travel to countries where I have access to subways for transportation so being able to glance at your watch to see a message is much better than pulling your phone out every few seconds.

Also makes it easy to control music, and the tap on the wrist when you're walking around the city to tell you where to turn is quite useful.

A lot of the use cases are missed on the SA public just because people are generally in their cars to get from point A to point B.

gifs

Expert Member
In depth sports and fitness review from DCRainmaker:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/10/apple-watch-series-4-in-depth-review.html

Summary:
If one were to pull out a feature comparison of the Apple Watch Series 4 versus the Series 3, specific to sports and fitness, they’d likely just go ‘shrug’. Ultimately, the differences just aren’t there in the hardware side of things.
Instead, it’s really more about small changes in software of WatchOS 5 compared to WatchOS 4, and virtually all of those things are applicable to most past Apple Watch units anyways. The core hardware differences most visible on the Series 4 is the larger display and the different optical HR sensor. Plus, the yet to be implemented ECG feature.

But as I showed – under the covers there’s actually some substantial differences in term of accuracy. The optical HR sensor (or perhaps the algorithms Apple is using) is different. And as a result, accuracy has improved – at least once you get past that first minute. And the GPS sensor (or again, algorithms) is also improved, in many cases producing better results than Garmin, Suunto, or Polar’s latest wares.
Still, as capable as the Apple Watch has become – it’s still a tough pitch for endurance athletes. Be it the more limited battery life than others, the not-always-on screen, or just the lack of a multitude of buttons; it’s not likely to dominate the endurance market anytime soon. If one looks at Strava uploads for the Ironman World Championships a few weeks back as an example – not a single athlete (out of 2,500) uploaded a run or bike activity to Strava with an Apple Watch from the event (fun tidbit: a single person actually managed to use a Fitbit Ionic for the run/bike portions).

The Apple Watch has no doubt made gains when it comes to checking off aspects of the fitness market in the last few years, but I can’t help but think that if Apple actually spent time on their native fitness app to make it more competitive with even Fitbit (let alone more full-featured rivals like Garmin, Suunto, or Polar), they’d be able to more cohesively compete with those wearables – especially given their accuracy seems to stop them in some areas today.

Which isn’t to say Apple won’t sell millions more units. Rather, to point out that merely selling millions more of something doesn’t mean it’s the defacto answer for everyone. Choice is good, and it’s good to see Apple presenting a product that’s finally able to compete in more areas of sport and fitness.