Apple Watch Discussion

I agree with you on this, in the subways most of the times especially during peak hours it is quite a battle to take out the device out of the pocket. Experienced it on a trip to Dubai last year.

Mr Smooth

Can anyone get the ECG to work with watch series 4?
I have the latest software for both my iPhone and watch but the menu doesn’t pop up on my watch.
Or is this only available in the US for now?

Dave

Honorary Master
I have the latest software for both my iPhone and watch but the menu doesn’t pop up on my watch.
You also need the ECG app, only in the US AppStore so far, I think.

whatwhat

Executive Member
US model watch and you need to be inside the US.
Same for enabling irregular heartbeat rhythm.

The app uses location services to see where you are and is set up using the Apple Watch app.

3Gee

Expert Member
For the ECG functionality. The watch had to be purchased in the US.

US purchased watches can be used anywhere in the world for an ECG.

tRoN

Executive Member
So I have been gifted a gold stainless steel series 4.
Pity we can’t use the LTE option here. (I wonder if and when?)

Quick question. Where can I purchase generic matching metal watch straps?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Takealot.

Just search for Milanese loop.

But honestly you got a free watch and you have the cash so just buy the Apple original and you know it will be perfect and last forever.

Dave

Honorary Master
But honestly you got a free watch and you have the cash so just buy the Apple original and you know it will be perfect and last forever.
I’d agree, I’ve had a few generic Milanese straps and they’d always break in some way or start hooking into clothes when the edge got a little ragged, I’ve had a genuine Milanese loop for about 2 years now and it’s still as good as the day I bought it.

whatwhat

Executive Member

No. You need to be in the US as well for the ECG function to worknas they only have permission there.

There are massive fines for selling/operating non-certified medical devices in countries.

whatwhat

Executive Member
Thanks whatwhat, wonder if we will ever get the ECG here in SA.
It needs to be certified as a medical device in SA and pass the required medical regulations before it can be activated here.

Offhand I don't know how long it takes and if it has been submitted already.

3Gee

Expert Member
No. You need to be in the US as well for the ECG function to worknas they only have permission there.

There are massive fines for selling/operating non-certified medical devices in countries.
Take a look on Macrumours. The ECG function works outs the US provided its a US purchased watch

Dave

Honorary Master

It appears you are correct and @whatwhat is wrong.

Apple today released watchOS 5.1.2, which enables the ECG app on Apple Watch Series 4 models. However, as Apple made clear, the ECG app is currently only available in the United States and its territories of Puerto Rico, Guam, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, preventing it from being used internationally at this time.

Many software features on Apple devices are initially limited to the United States, but international users have often been able to simply change their iPhone or Apple Watch region to the United States to gain access.

That's not the case with the the ECG app on the Apple Watch Series 4, though, as it only functions on models purchased in the United States. Those who live in and bought an Apple Watch in Canada, the UK, or elsewhere abroad can't use the region-switching trick to enable the ECG app — it doesn't work.

Note that the ECG app requires an Apple Watch Series 4 with watchOS 5.1.2, paired with an iPhone 5s or newer with iOS 12.1.1.
Really odd, I’m living in Sweden and haven’t done any changes but had no problem doing ECG’s. Working as expected here. Only thing that’s different is that I have my phone and watch languages set to US English.

Edit: oh another thing but I’m not sure that it has anything to do with it, the watch is bought in the US. Anyway didn’t expect being able to do ECG!
https://www.macrumors.com/2018/12/06/apple-watch-ecg-no-us-region-changing/

B3700476-5E81-4D26-8676-CADBA0144012.jpeg

Last edited:

noxibox

Honorary Master
I believe the same applied to Heart Rate Variability. Watches bought in countries where the feature is not available cannot enable it by changing the region setting.