Apple Watch review – a device both Batman and Alfred could wear

Kevin Lancaster

MyBroadband Editor
I can not seem to work out, is it waterproof?
The Watch is splash and water resistant, but not waterproof.

"You can, for example, wear and use Apple Watch during exercise, in the rain, and while washing your hands, but submerging Apple Watch is not recommended. Apple Watch has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529. The leather bands are not water resistant."

Last edited:
The Watch is splash and water resistant, but not waterproof.

"You can, for example, wear and use Apple Watch during exercise, in the rain, and while washing your hands, but submerging Apple Watch is not recommended. Apple Watch has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529. The leather bands are not water resistant.
Thanks!

Roger Muller

More than what I've expected from Apple Watch

Bought my Watch from a friend, who won it in a Makro competition, for R1800 less than retail at iStore :) Love wearing it all day, and it's great for my running, walking the dog etc. Having loads of fun with the activity rings, especially reminding me to stand after spending loads of time sitting behind a PC. With native Watch apps like Runkeeper now measuring heart rate, it does a good job of feeding me stats at a glance while running. This definitely beats fiddling with a phone before and during a race. Also enjoying the nightstand function.

If you're into health & fitness, enjoy stats and are already an Apple sucker like me, you'll enjoy Apple Watch.

Some other things that I like, but did not specifically buy the watch for, includes:

• remote: playing my docked iPhone(works great in the shower btw) and controlling ITunes on PC & Apple TV. It makes a difference to not have to pick up your phone while preparing a meal etc. Also great for Powerpoint presentations (once you've survived the mockery :) )
  • less distraction: Initially thought the constant wrist-buzzing will get to me, but discovered I don't reach for my phone so often. Only quickly glance at my wrist than ignore or reply to notifications. This works very well while driving and during meetings.
  • complications: Outlook watch app neatly displays next appointment on Watch face
  • battery: didn't expect that it will still have around 40% juice when I hit the sack after a long day

Roger Muller

Not waterproof, but many Youtube videos prove that it will withstand quite a bit of drenching. Worn mine in the shower since day one, and probably will swim in the pool with it too. I'll steer clear of sea water though.
I can not seem to work out, is it waterproof?

krycor

Honorary Master
One thing tho.. does it also have those annoying standard apps like on the phone which u cant just remove?

JStrike

Honorary Master
Not if you have a battery powered watch. Only need to change the battery every 4-5 years.
I can barely stomach a battery powered watch for a smartwatch. Don't think I could ever have a battery powered watch for something that isn't a smartwatch. But each to their own

Last edited:

Camoh2006

The Apple Watch is a good device! The only thing that bothers me is you can't start a whatsapp conversation off your watch straight away and you can't see Facebook posts that people tag you in. Otherwise, had it for a day so long and loving it so far!!

whatwhat

Executive Member
I don't see the point of this watch!
It keeps your phone in your pocket.

It's great for when you are travelling, I spent just over a month in the USA and it's terrific to:
- When you are walking, it will tap you to let you know when to turn a corner
- You see the exchange rate at a glance, so you always know how badly you getting screwed
- You can pay for things without having to take your credit card/wallet out
- Notifications on your arm, so you can see messages and then decide if you want to reply or not on your phone
- Calling Uber just means opening the app on the watch and you get a notification when your ride arrives
- I didn't use it for flights, I use my phone for that. The scanners are usually on a bracket with a small gap underneath them for paper tickets, your phone will fit there but your watch you need to take off to make it fit.

Yes, you get people who are obnoxious about the watch and show it off at every chance they get. I found myself doing the opposite where I'll look at the watch when needed. The taptic feel isn't bad, certainly much less annoying than the ting ting ting from Whatsapp.

As for battery, I can get just over 2 days of use of the watch before it needs to charge (or before it goes into power reserve mode)

It is a v1 and there are short comings - but it's a decent device none the less. You probably don't think you need it, and probably don't need it until you've used it a few days and see how it extends your phone. Then it becomes pretty useful.

Last edited: