Apple will remove earphones and chargers from older iPhone boxes - Report

bratwurst

Expert Member
or anyone that has embraced its 2020 and we charge our devices in all sorts of places : our cars with cables wireless, our wireless pads, our laptops, airplane seat usb, hotel usb, some restaurant table usb, portable battery packs or multi-port chargers.

I see no reason to ship a single charging plug with a phone.
How many aircrafts, hotels and restaurants around the world are equipped with usb-c ports?
So if you dont own an older model iphone that uses usb-a, you need to buy a cable or a dongle. You can't use old usb-charging bricks out the box either.

I kinda would understand their decision of getting rid of a charging block if apple actually have moved completely to usb-c and not lightning on the one end.

Also, what if I go travel and don't stay in a hotel? Do I need to leave my phone in a car to charge overnight? Or take my laptop with?

In the end, any 3rd party add-ons from cables to bricks etc, if ain't apple approved I bet that dreaded message will pop up - your cable is incompatible and the damn thing won't charge.

Money making decision, nothing else. You sheep are so gullible :D

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I think if it really made a worthwhile reduction in the price like Apple claim it did, then its worth removing them.
Honestly after using the headphones that come with phones I just left them in the box from new.
I have used a wireless charger since my Nokia with WindowsMobile days, if a phone didnt have wireless charging then I didnt buy it.
So yeah if you do anything more than just take the phone out the box when you get it then this might be a problem for you. For me, I think its great.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
How many aircrafts, hotels and restaurants around the world are equipped with usb-c ports?
So if you dont own an older model iphone that uses usb-a, you need to buy a cable or a dongle. You can't use old usb-charging bricks out the box either.

I kinda would understand their decision of getting rid of a charging block if apple actually have moved completely to usb-c and not lightning on the one end.

Also, what if I go travel and don't stay in a hotel? Do I need to leave my phone in a car to charge overnight? Or take my laptop with?

In the end, any 3rd party add-ons from cables to bricks etc, if ain't apple approved I bet that dreaded message will pop up - your cable is incompatible and the damn thing won't charge.

That is interesting, so is the lightning cable that ships with new iphones a lightning to usb-c cable?
That would be a problem for a lot of people Im sure.
My wife's iPhone 11 that she got 3 months ago had a usb-a to lightning cable in.

You raise a great point though, Im so disappointed in Apple for not going usb-c on the new phone. I fully expected that it was going to happen, especially since they havent sold a laptop in a few years that doesnt have it!
Im not bound to any OS though, I switch between iOS and Android from time to time. It really just depends who has the most interesting phone when its upgrade time really.

neoprema

Expert Member

Nope, not gullable. Just part of the perfect device family.

D tj

Expert Member
Whatever Apple do, Samsung first mock, then copy.
Except for big phones and fires.

greg0205

Honorary Master
How can people with no intention of ever buying an iPhone be do triggered by the absence of an Apple branded usb charger?

I feel like we'll definitely be seeing Samsung and Huawei remove earphones and charger threads on MyBB in future, and I can't help thinking the comments in those threads will be...

Different.

Brawler

Honorary Master
I agree most of us already have multiple laying around so its a good move, but from time to time we do need a new / extra charger and it's absurd to think you need to pay R650 for a charger just to get a phone to work (if you don't have one).

Give a digital voucher for those who want the earphones and charger. The cost of producing chargers is almost nothing.

markings

Expert Member
When I flew Air Asia they had a USB-A port but it delivered so little current that it was only enough to keep the phone running when I used it. No charging over an above it.

zippy

Executive Member
I think if it really made a worthwhile reduction in the price like Apple claim it did, then its worth removing them.
Honestly after using the headphones that come with phones I just left them in the box from new.
I have used a wireless charger since my Nokia with WindowsMobile days, if a phone didnt have wireless charging then I didnt buy it.
So yeah if you do anything more than just take the phone out the box when you get it then this might be a problem for you. For me, I think its great.

Since I don’t use public transport anymore, I don’t use headphones. I never liked plugging them into my ears to begin with. I have car play and I use external speakers at home or just play my library through Apple TV. I also already have a drawer full of charger plugs and cables.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
What many failed to notice is that the price of the new devices is also significantly lower which easy makes up for the lack of these accessories.

If you don’t need them you don’t end up paying for them and if you do need them it doesn’t cost more than previous years.

I’d much rather put the money towards more wireless chargers around the house.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
What many failed to notice is that the price of the new devices is also significantly lower which easy makes up for the lack of these accessories.

If you don’t need them you don’t end up paying for them and if you do need them it doesn’t cost more than previous years.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood

The iPhone 12 Pro still starts at $999 and the Max model still starts at $1,099. The regular iPhone 12 starts at $799 compared to $699 for the iPhone 11.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
The iPhone 12 Pro still starts at $999 and the Max model still starts at $1,099. The regular iPhone 12 starts at $799 compared to $699 for the iPhone 11.

Are those current prices or original launch prices?

To me it seemed a lot cheaper than before even with the shocking USD/ZAR but I didn’t especially go work it out.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Are those current prices or original launch prices?

To me it seemed a lot cheaper than before even with the shocking USD/ZAR but I didn’t especially go work it out.

I was using Apple's own launch prices.