Apple will remove earphones and chargers from older iPhone boxes - Report

Mekon

Expert Member
Dumb.

the majority of users don't need those accessories anymore. I charge my iphone in my car, and on a wireless pad at home. I have 5 sets of those earphones i dont need cause its not 1985 and i use Bluetooth.

Apple is leading the way again.
Yay for you. You show those haters né.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I was using Apple's own launch prices.
Fair enough then.

It was quite staggering the amount of waste this accumulates to and I wonder how many in the world are legitimately chucked away or laying on a drawer in disuse.

I’m pretty sure I have at least 8 in drawers.

Mekon

Expert Member
Dumb.

the majority of users don't need those accessories anymore. I charge my iphone in my car, and on a wireless pad at home. I have 5 sets of those earphones i dont need cause its not 1985 and i use Bluetooth.

Apple is leading the way again.
Nope, not gullable. Just part of the perfect device family.
There is no perfect device. Stop being such a fanboy that faps themselves everytime Apple announces anything. Your iPhone is a perfect device for YOUR little world.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Fair enough then.

It was quite staggering the amount of waste this accumulates to and I wonder how many in the world are legitimately chucked away or laying on a drawer in disuse.

I’m pretty sure I have at least 8 in drawers.
Apple's claims of caring that much about the environment are bulls**t. They care about their bottom line and how much more cheaply they can sell and transport their inventory.

They say people should reuse their charging bricks, but this is the first time that Apple has moved to a Lightning-to-USB-C charging cable. None of their customers have Apple USB-C charging bricks lying around.

Alternatively, they could have just ditched the Lightning connector and used USB-C. That way, their customers can avoid e-waste and use the same charging setups they already use for most things with their new iPhones. But no, still the stupid Lightning connector.

Another alternative would be to not include the charging bricks in the box but to rather include a voucher for a discounted one, or the option to get one for free or at a discount if you buy your iPhone at an Apple Store or accredited partner.

Apple must think their customers are fools.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Until audio manufacturers start making USB-C headphones, no thanks.
And my PXC 550's you can plug in USB (currently using a USB A to micro B cable, just linking above to show C -> micro B exists).

The midrange HD 350BT and 450BT from Sennheiser are USB C, not sure if the 350BT has an aux port though, but the 450 does:
An audio cable is included for the 3.5mm jack located on this same side panel, as is a USB-C-to-USB-A charging cable for the USB-C port also on this panel.
So you could use a USB C to USB C cable.

bwana

MyBroadband
There is no perfect device. Stop being such a fanboy that faps themselves everytime Apple announces anything. Your iPhone is a perfect device for YOUR little world.
Why do you care?

D tj

Expert Member
@Bryn a bit much drama methinks, as all old lightning cables and chargers will work with the 12.
For those who have USB-C laptops they give the lead with the phone.....fair and reasonable.
Those who wish to can spend on wireless charge options.
And YES smaller packaging is good fo the environment, this is not a maybe, and Apple may well profit at the same time.
Taking the phone straight to Usb-C would force most of the new phone purchasers into buying Usb-c chargers( more profit for them) cables etc. neither good for customer or environment ....Doubleplusbad!

Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Apple's claims of caring that much about the environment are bulls**t. They care about their bottom line and how much more cheaply they can sell and transport their inventory.

They say people should reuse their charging bricks, but this is the first time that Apple has moved to a Lightning-to-USB-C charging cable. None of their customers have Apple USB-C charging bricks lying around.

Alternatively, they could have just ditched the Lightning connector and used USB-C. That way, their customers can avoid e-waste and use the same charging setups they already use for most things with their new iPhones. But no, still the stupid Lightning connector.

Another alternative would be to not include the charging bricks in the box but to rather include a voucher for a discounted one, or the option to get one for free or at a discount if you buy your iPhone at an Apple Store or accredited partner.

Apple must think their customers are fools.
I fully agree the narrative is bullshit but the numbers are still quite staggering when you add it all up.

As for USB-C every customer with a MacBook has both a charger and the ports on the MacBook itself which has been a massive oversight for the longest time that you couldn’t charge your phone on your laptop without another expense so that is finally going somewhere.

Every customer who doesn’t have USB-C charger still has their old charger and cable so they aren’t at a loss. And many others have gone wireless and don’t need anything at all.

But yeah would also have just preferred USB-C end to end and don’t understand the mix between products. If anything at least if only the Pro line had it that would have made some sense in the rest of the lineup.

Mekon

Expert Member
Tell us how you really feel, let it all out...
Well it all started with a iPhone 4. I never wanted it but it was a gift from my girlfriend. Everytime she asked how I was enjoying the phone I had to lie and say it was fine. I even had to put a false expression on my face like in those comedies where people had to eat something but it tasted bad and had to put on the false facade that it was nice. I constantly had to buy new charger cables, kept breaking the glass at the back and really did not enjoy the whole Apple experience that some people could fap themselves to death about. I eventually hatched a plan to have the offensive device taken out. I staged a whole mugging thing and hired 2 goons to carry it out. But eventually just settled on throwing the phone out my cars window on my way back from a pub one night. It felt like I had knocked off the evil stepson and was free of burden. I told my girlfriend that I must have been pick pocketed and the story stuck.
I bought a Samsung S3 the next day. Felt calm and free however this was a rush purchase and soon discovered I was not a fan of Samsung's touchwiz interface that they run on top of android. I had before the iPhone incident owned Motorola's which run a vanilla android. So after a few years and of normality I was yet again burdened with a iPhone 8. This was a work phone as the boss didn't want it as already had one and this was a insurance replacement when he broke one. (They aren't really strong phones) so i was once again in this ecosystem I didn't like with a interface i didn't like. I managed a year with it but feeling dead to the world the day came I decided enough bis enough. As i sat drinking my coffee one morning I decided this is the day. No more Apple. Life is to short to own Apple products.
Turns out it wasn't the day. But I was visiting friends and family in the US last year and got a Motorola G6 plus and all is good with my world again. The iPhone now sits in a draw and is a backup should any of the kids break or lose their phones.
Thank you for this opportunity to let my feeling out. :thumbsup:

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Apple will remove earphones and chargers from older iPhone boxes - Report

Apple will no longer ship charging adapters or headphones with any of its iPhones, according to a report from GSM Arena.

During its “Hi, Speed” launch event, Apple finally confirmed weeks of rumours that it would be excluding the items from its iPhone 12 box.

Sources close to Apple claimed the move would offset the additional costs of adding 5G to its smartphones, allowing the company to price the iPhone 12 range at the same or similar prices as the iPhone 11.
Lmfao

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
or anyone that has embraced its 2020 and we charge our devices in all sorts of places : our cars with cables wireless, our wireless pads, our laptops, airplane seat usb, hotel usb, some restaurant table usb, portable battery packs or multi-port chargers.

I see no reason to ship a single charging plug with a phone.
Really now? All of a sudden a charger and earphones dont matter, because Apple fans says so

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
So why dont they include a coupon with the phone to get a free USB C charger or minus the price of said charger to the price of the phone.

Hell, even an exchange program, exchange working USB-A changer for USB-C one...
Wait, they remove the charger and earphones, because they want to be environmentally safe. However, they say that you can buy a charger or earphones, or already have ones laying around, that are not environmentally safe? Hmm

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
I think if it really made a worthwhile reduction in the price like Apple claim it did, then its worth removing them.
Honestly after using the headphones that come with phones I just left them in the box from new.
I have used a wireless charger since my Nokia with WindowsMobile days, if a phone didnt have wireless charging then I didnt buy it.
So yeah if you do anything more than just take the phone out the box when you get it then this might be a problem for you. For me, I think its great.
Is the wireless chargers completely wireless, or do you need to plug in a wire? Are those wires and wireleess chargers environmentally friendly Asking for a friend.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
So does this mean, that iPads, macbooks etc will come without a charger as well? Wirelessly charge your macbook