Apple will remove earphones and chargers from older iPhone boxes - Report

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Not Apple fans. Apple in their usual leading and visionary example have said so

and already others are copying - enter Samsung.the rest will soon too
Can understand if Apple said its purely to bring costs down of the actual handset. Them using the environment doesnt fit with me. So you have non friendly environemnt cables laying around at home, or you have to go and buy a cable that Apple doesn't want to include, because of the environment. Makes no sense

bratwurst

Expert Member
So does this mean, that iPads, macbooks etc will come without a charger as well? Wirelessly charge your macbook
What most people don't even know is that wireless charging is far less efficient than charging with a cord. It uses more power to get the same job done. So much for caring about the environment

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
What most people don't even know is that wireless charging is far less efficient than charging with a cord. It uses more power to get the same job done. So much for caring about the environment
Yeh unless you have to get a fast charge wireless dock or something, which isnt cheap. But alot of the environment talk is a bit bollocks to me. So Apple only finally woke up now, about saving the environment?

neoprema

Expert Member
Yeh unless you have to get a fast charge wireless dock or something, which isnt cheap. But alot of the environment talk is a bit bollocks to me. So Apple only finally woke up now, about saving the environment?
Apple have had a long history of environmental concern. But they recently ramped it up a lot as the company adopted a policy of saving the planet, at considerable cost.
Read here: https://www.apple.com/environment/

Best to get it from the horses mouth and not to search Google for Apple's enviromental contributions as the anti-propaganda is rife.

bratwurst

Expert Member
Even fast wireless charging is not as efficient.

Sure, remove the power bricks, but then actually discount the device. Or even better, trade your old crappy brick for a new on and get 30% discount or whatever.

bratwurst

Expert Member
Apple have had a long history of environmental concern. But they recently ramped it up a lot as the company adopted a policy of saving the planet, at considerable cost.

Best to get it from the horses mouth and not to search Google for Apple's enviromental contributions as the anti-propaganda is rife.
"We’re committed to one day sourcing 100% recycled and renewable materials across all of our products and packaging. Because making doesn’t have to mean taking from the planet."

Where is the program to trade in my old brick? See my comment above. Only thing apple leading here, as you said above, is you by your nose :D

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master

You not answering my question.. fine, remove the charger and headphones due to the environment. no problem with that.. but they are saying use your existing charger and headphones, or buy new ones. Are those chargers you currently have, or the ones you will buy, are they environmentally friendly?

FaSMaN

Expert Member
Apple: We want to save the environment by not including chargers anymore as everyone has one already
Also Apple: Ships the new iPhone with lightning to USB C cable that doesnt fit in the usb-a port on older chargers
Also Apple: Old lightning cables break after 1 year because the plastic literally degrades.
Samsung: I see what you did there Apple , removes chargers.
Apple After seeing Samsung announcing their removing chargers: Retroactively removes chargers from old models.

R13...

Honorary Master
You not answering my question.. fine, remove the charger and headphones due to the environment. no problem with that.. but they are saying use your existing charger and headphones, or buy new ones. Are those chargers you currently have, or the ones you will buy, are they environmentally friendly?

You seem determined not to understand. They are saying they want to avoid more waste if it can be avoided. That means less ewaste out in the wild and they avoid manufacturing a lot more of the stuff that people are just going to chuck away.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Dumb.

the majority of users don't need those accessories anymore. I charge my iphone in my car, and on a wireless pad at home. I have 5 sets of those earphones i dont need cause its not 1985 and i use Bluetooth.

Apple is leading the way again.
If you show them you don't need it they'll start removing other stuff.

Soon sold without battery because you can use old battery but it's cool because i have batteries lying all over.

FaSMaN

Expert Member
You seem determined not to understand. They are saying they want to avoid more waste if it can be avoided. That means less ewaste out in the wild and they avoid manufacturing a lot more of the stuff that people are just going to chuck away.

Just bare in mind apples ewaste and repair policies, "Mother/Logic boards" dont get repaired on a component level they get scrapped and sent for recycling instead, which is by far the worst possible way to decrease your environment footprint.
Apple has 0 interest in the environment other than saving face or keeping the politicians happy.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Just bare in mind apples ewaste and repair policies, "Mother/Logic boards" dont get repaired on a component level they get scrapped and sent for recycling instead, which is by far the worst possible way to decrease your environment footprint.
Apple has 0 interest in the environment other than saving face or keeping the politicians happy.
Lol and also their stupid right to repair policy btw!

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Does Dell repair their logic boards on a component level or swap them out?

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
What are people chucking away? Not everybody wants a wireless charger or another oem BT headset.

Apple is saying, we not including a charger, but check at home, you should have one. Why are they not encouraging people, to throw away all their existing chargers and headphones, to help save the environment etc

Why not develop an environmentally safe charger or headset etc, and include it in the box and price? You literally forcing new iphone users, to go out and spend more money on a charger or wireless charger.

FaSMaN

Expert Member
Does Dell repair their logic boards on a component level or swap them out?

Boards are replaced with refurbished boards, the old boards are removed, sent for refurbishment and then it goes back into circulation, or atleast that use to be the case when we did Dell laptops.

Dell also doesnt solder down the SSDs or Ram in their mid-high range laptops meaning a way less ewaste when they fail, or you want to upgrade.

D tj

Expert Member
As a result of no charger the phone box is much lower this lead to more pallets of phones per aircraft and a hefty reduction in flights...looking at x1 usb cable is a minute view: Apple are talking in plane loads just for delivery and more,possibly +50 million chargers.

Kola_CT

Well it all started with a iPhone 4. I never wanted it but it was a gift from my girlfriend. Everytime she asked how I was enjoying the phone I had to lie and say it was fine. I even had to put a false expression on my face like in those comedies where people had to eat something but it tasted bad and had to put on the false facade that it was nice. I constantly had to buy new charger cables, kept breaking the glass at the back and really did not enjoy the whole Apple experience that some people could fap themselves to death about. I eventually hatched a plan to have the offensive device taken out. I staged a whole mugging thing and hired 2 goons to carry it out. But eventually just settled on throwing the phone out my cars window on my way back from a pub one night. It felt like I had knocked off the evil stepson and was free of burden. I told my girlfriend that I must have been pick pocketed and the story stuck.
I bought a Samsung S3 the next day. Felt calm and free however this was a rush purchase and soon discovered I was not a fan of Samsung's touchwiz interface that they run on top of android. I had before the iPhone incident owned Motorola's which run a vanilla android. So after a few years and of normality I was yet again burdened with a iPhone 8. This was a work phone as the boss didn't want it as already had one and this was a insurance replacement when he broke one. (They aren't really strong phones) so i was once again in this ecosystem I didn't like with a interface i didn't like. I managed a year with it but feeling dead to the world the day came I decided enough bis enough. As i sat drinking my coffee one morning I decided this is the day. No more Apple. Life is to short to own Apple products.
Turns out it wasn't the day. But I was visiting friends and family in the US last year and got a Motorola G6 plus and all is good with my world again. The iPhone now sits in a draw and is a backup should any of the kids break or lose their phones.
Thank you for this opportunity to let my feeling out. :thumbsup:

Any chance you could summarise this?

R13...

Honorary Master
What are people chucking away? Not everybody wants a wireless charger or another oem BT headset.

Apple is saying, we not including a charger, but check at home, you should have one. Why are they not encouraging people, to throw away all their existing chargers and headphones, to help save the environment etc

Why not develop an environmentally safe charger or headset etc, and include it in the box and price? You literally forcing new iphone users, to go out and spend more money on a charger or wireless charger.
They sell 40m+ iPhone annually. They'd need to make as many accessory sets as that, excluding after sales support stock. So, now they're cutting that many accessories and only making the after sales support plus some extra I would imagine. Tell me reducing waste by that much isn't good for the environment. I don't agree with them not reducing prices along with dropping the accessories but you have to be obtuse not to see a benefit.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
How can people with no intention of ever buying an iPhone be do triggered by the absence of an Apple branded usb charger?

A. There are apple users that are annoyed with this.
B. If other phone makers adopt this it this will be because no one complained.
C. It's going to be annoying having to hear about apple users complaining about this and seeing them get upset because purchasing separately is even more.