Apple's new iPhones will not come with headphones or a charger

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Apple's new iPhones will not come with headphones or a charger

In line with earlier reports that Apple may not ship a charger or EarPods with its upcoming iPhone 12 smartphones, the latest version of iOS seemingly confirms that headphones will no longer be supplied with the company's smartphones.

According to a report by MacRumours, a code change in iOS 14.2 adapts the wording of a statement in the phone's operating system that advises users to use hands-free calling.

Nerhzelok

Expert Member
Thank goodness.. Have enough unnecessary chargers and cheap earphones in my life.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
I can do without them. Was hoping that Air Power could materialise, but I don't think we will get it. Some people will be bummed about it though.

eg2505

Honorary Master
wait until all you get with your iphone, is a paper envelope with your phone and lots of legal booklets.

Suspect99

Executive Member
What if it's your first iPhone . And you don't have one of their proprietary chargers lying around?

phoneJunky

Executive Member
What if it's your first iPhone . And you don't have one of their proprietary chargers lying around?

You can charge with any charger. I use a Samsung quick charger as the one Apple usually included was only 5W. Or any Qi wireless charger

Vis1/0N

Expert Member
You can charge with any charger. I use a Samsung quick charger as the one Apple usually included was only 5W. Or any Qi wireless charger
If the phone logs that you used a non Apple charger, would it be an issue with Apple when you have a warranty issue? Hopefully nothing negative in their T&C's about this, can you double check if you cannot recall?

MEG101

Iphones are anyway way overpriced, you can buy a flagship Samsung phone like Note 10+ for less than what the Iphone 11 Pro Max cost and you do not need Itunes to copy item onto the phone. Not very user friendly and no expandable storage. Stupid idea to do away with the charger and earphones, next they will tell you to use your old phones battery in the new one. I will stick with my Samsung phone thank you.

neoprema

Expert Member
Another great move by Apple. I don't want nor need the earphones, I buy my own ones that fit my style and needs. And i've got a drawer full of chargers already.

neoprema

Expert Member
Iphones are anyway way overpriced, you can buy a flagship Samsung phone like Note 10+ for less than what the Iphone 11 Pro Max cost and you do not need Itunes to copy item onto the phone. Not very user friendly and no expandable storage. Stupid idea to do away with the charger and earphones, next they will tell you to use your old phones battery in the new one. I will stick with my Samsung phone thank you.
You could, but would you want to? I've tried Samsung, Huawei and others before and nothing can touch an iPhone. Nothing, its perfection.

No one competes with Apple, they copy them.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Another great move by Apple. I don't want nor need the earphones, I buy my own ones that fit my style and needs. And i've got a drawer full of chargers already.
Lol good for you I use my old chargers. Have one at work, a few in the power banks etc.

Matt91

Expert Member

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Well, Apple did renew their 29W to a 30W charger, same size, comes in at R1400 on Takealot, the iStore doesn't seem to list/link correctly anymore.
You'd rather want to import e.g. an Ankor 30W one since it's GaN and still comes out a bit cheaper: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Char...&keywords=PowerPort+III&qid=1601539474&sr=8-4
Since they have an okay explanation on it, otherwise text based:
Efficiency is ~91% for Apple's silicon one vs GaN's 95-98% depending, and you end up with a smaller charger.

GaN should be more expensive than silicon, since the materials are more expensive, but since some of the protection stuff isn't needed, it should come out to the same production costs supposedly, but again, scale matters.