Apple's new Live Text feature is a years-late Google Lens ripoff

backstreetboy

Honorary Master

We're here at WWDC — well, not "here," it's remote, and I'm sitting in my office streaming, blogging, and drinking coffee — and Apple is showing off all the new software features we can look forward to for the coming year for its products. But one particular announcement just caught our eye, a new "Live Text" feature that promises to let you pull text and contact details from photos. For Android users, this sounds pretty goddamn familiar. Ever hear of Google Lens, Apple?

I'm honestly surprised that Apple hadn't duplicated Google's functionality for its platform before now. After all, Google Lens dates back nearly half a decade to I/O 2017. Though the feature set has expanded quite a lot since then, Google Lens allows you to do things like see details from Google's extensive knowledge graph when looking at objects or landmarks, copy relevant information like contact details, and even scan documents. Those are all features Apple's announcing now in 2021 as if they're revolutionary — par for the course.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Lol and Google Lens replaced Google Goggles that came out more than a decade ago. Gotta love Apple.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Yeah. But Apple has it now which means it just became even much more betterer than the bloated Potato droid thingies you poor people are limited to.

grok

Honorary Master
The irony of all those Applostals thinking they have the superior product cos they pay so much more for it, Dunning Kruger with a polo neck.. Lol!

Hamster

Resident Rodent
/googles wtf Google Lens is

EDIT: What do you use this for? Travel?

Archie1

Google and Apple both copy something off each other all the time, sometimes with slighly different implementations. This is nothing new. Fanboys on both sides are tiresome...

Hamster

Resident Rodent
So let me get this straight: Apple announces new features like privacy updates, iCloud+, sharing Apple content with non Apple devices, turning iPads into second monitors, safari desktop extensions working on mobile versions etc.

And what does Android Police and OP do? Write/share an entire article about some obscure Live Text feature.

It's not salty, it's just so pathetically sad.

prOd

Expert Member
So let me get this straight: Apple announces new features like privacy updates, iCloud+, sharing Apple content with non Apple devices, turning iPads into second monitors, safari desktop extensions working on mobile versions etc.

And what does Android Police and OP do? Write/share an entire article about some obscure Live Text feature.

It's BSB aka Mr. Capitec. What did you expect? Too bad no one makes threads about all the **** Google copies from Apple, latest being privacy tracking features. Truth is, people in general don't give a fck. Better for customers everywhere when companies copy each other, especially when they copy good features.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master

iCloud+ is just another VPN. We have zillions of those already. We've also had mobile extensions for yonks already with Firefox Mobile and Kiwi.