Apple's next-generation iPhone Media Event! (2013)

sand_man

Honorary Master
I'm starting to not see much value in jailbreaking. For what, customization? They won't improve much on ios7. And all the other things are done and done better like the tweaks panel.

Predominantly customizations yes but there's still some basic functionality missing from iOS IE a single key press to kill all apps running and/or suspended in the background. The ability to customize the shortcuts available on the new control centre. What about an alternate keyboard to the default? Or the ability to choose your default app if you have a 3rd party browser or camera app installed?

Not being able to load up custom icons is a big bugbear for me personally and many others. They get stale pretty quickly and it's really fun to be able to change them.

Don't get me wrong, iOS 7 is a breath of fresh air but in the hands of the jailbreak community it becomes Droid destroying.

icyrus

Executive Member
Dude, cerebus is not impressed. I'm with you on this. Poor strategy. There was so much potential for a plastic cheerful low cost model but this is not cool.

They should've kept the iPhone 5 and continued selling it for $549 and the iPhone 5S for $649. That's it, simple! This boggles the mind!

The iPhone 5C should've been priced at $349 or $399 and it would've been a hit. One year old technology for nearly half price.

I'm willing to bet that the 5c becomes the best selling iPhone of all time. People expecting Apple to get into the low end of the market aren't thinking about Apple's history. It's like the "Apple must make a netbook" crowd all over again.

Madhawk

Honorary Master
I'm willing to bet that the 5c becomes the best selling iPhone of all time. People expecting Apple to get into the low end of the market aren't thinking about Apple's history. It's like the "Apple must make a netbook" crowd all over again.

I'm pretty sure the 5C will sell well, but for $100 more off contract and on contract you get so much more with the 5S.

To me buying a 5S makes so much more sense, but I guess the masses won't agree with me.

They will rather go for the colours instead of the internals.

cerebus

Honorary Master
You could be right. I was just really hoping to get one of these with my next contract in Feb but it'll still be a fairly premium contract here.

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
All they did was remove the aluminium casing of the iPhone 5 and replaced it with plastic and called it the "New" iPhone 5C.

And to top it off, they are selling it for only $100 less. How arrogant can a company be?

Even worse, you can buy a cover for your 5s, to make it look like a 5c : http://www.apple.com/iphone/accessories/

Why? F knows....

And to completely go all out, you can buy a cover for your 5c, with holes. SO you can truely make your phone look like a kids toy :D

Untitled.jpg

Madhawk

Honorary Master
Uk prices: iPhone 5C = £469 (R7370) iPhone 5S = £549 (R8630)

My guess iPhone 5C will sell for R7499 and the iPhone 5S will sell for R8999 or R9299 here in SA.

cerebus

Honorary Master
I really like the colour contrasts on the C's cases :eek: that black and blue is pretty hot.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
The under 25 crowd are going love that 5C

And most women of all ages.

Mass market consumers don't really care about the internals

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master

You right on that front, 2 kids I know already said they love it and would hop onto that (from BB) in a split second. Both have bright colored covers for their "BBM boxes" as well.

cerebus

Honorary Master

The internals are still pretty high end. It's basically an iPhone5.

Crowley

Executive Member
But what will the iPhone > S4 crowd use as an opening line now that there is a iphone with the same "crappy plastic" materials as the S4?

cerebus

Honorary Master
But what will the iPhone > S4 crowd use as an opening line now that there is a iphone with the same "crappy plastic" materials as the S4?
If only Samsung would use some premium plastics like the 5C there wouldn't be a need to say anything. Unfortunately they opted for that 'wet fish' texture chassis.

Maverick Jester

The Special One

Being made of plastic, does not inherently make the device "crappy".

Samsung's problem is that they use lower-quality plastic than other device manufacturers (most notably when compared to HTC and Sony). Take the HTC One X- one of the most beautifully designed and crafted smartphones around, but it too is made out of plastic. Comparing it with a Galaxy S3 is like comparing a VW Polo to a Tata Indica...

Crowley

Executive Member
Being made of plastic, does not inherently make the device "crappy".

Samsung's problem is that they use lower-quality plastic than other device manufacturers (most notably when compared to HTC and Sony). Take the HTC One X- one of the most beautifully designed and crafted smartphones around, but it too is made out of plastic. Comparing it with a Galaxy S3 is like comparing a VW Polo to a Tata Indica...
Lets see. The S4 uses polycarbonate plastic and the 5C uses...polycarbonate plastic!

Polycarbonate is one of those strange "premium materials" because it's not always apparent by sight and touch that it is higher quality. With glass and metal, we know automatically that we're dealing with premium materials. But, polycarbonate can look and feel just like regular plastic, even though it is far stronger and more durable

Source

cerebus

Honorary Master
And yet....
http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/24/4257254/samsung-galaxy-s4-review
“I don’t like holding this phone, and I can’t overstate how much that informs the experience of using it. It makes an awful first impression, slippery and slimy and simply unpleasant in your hand.”
http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/10/4716286/iphone-5c-not-a-cheap-iphone-just-colorful
If you're going to make a plastic phone, though, this is how to do it. From the cohesive shell to the smooth and glossy back (which did pick up a fair number of fingerprints) the device feels far better than Samsung's or LG's plastic options. Even the rubbery cases look nice, their open-circle backs fitting in nicely with the color palette. They cover just the wrong part of the text on the phone's back, though, so with a case on you just see the word "non" all the time. Strange.