Apple's next-generation iPhone Media Event! (2013)

Crowley

Executive Member
The Verge lost all credibility after this line.
Even the rubbery cases look nice, their open-circle backs fitting in nicely with the color palette.
iphone-5c-cases-backs-20130910.jpg

cerebus

Honorary Master
The Verge lost all credibility after this line.

View attachment 70549

I'd say anybody who says anything positive about Apple loses credibility with you.

But okay to humour your insanity:

http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/166263-iphone-5s-vs-galaxy-s4-which-phone-should-you-buy
The Galaxy S4 is definitely a high-end phone, but it doesn’t really feel like one. The GS4 is made of a slippery plastic housing that only gets slipperier the more you handle it.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/samsung-galaxy-s4-vs-htc-one
The Samsung Galaxy S4 feels a lot like its predecessor. It’s impressively slim and light, but the use of a plastic battery cover stops from feeling as flashy, or as hard as an iPhone 5 or HTC One.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7310/hands-on-with-the-new-iphone-5c
I'm impressed with how the 5C ends up feeling in the hand. The hard coated surface manages to not feel slippery but still have a certain heft and solidness to it. What's interesting about the 5C is really the way its rounded corners all seem to have the same radius, which gives it a very unified feeling in the hand. The front, edge, and sides all share that same rounded profile. It still retains the same overall profile as the iPhone 5 as well. Buttons on the 5C are clicky and responsive, and also have that same hard coated feeling without feeling cheap. That's really the important thing about the 5C, it had to be solid while still being made out of polymer, something OEMs in the Android space still haven't quite nailed down.

etc...

Last edited:

sand_man

Honorary Master
Seriously though, those covers are horrendous!! They look like retarded stencils...

R13...

Honorary Master
Seriously though, those covers are horrendous!! They look like retarded stencils...

Teens will love them. I remember those glowing pink things that light up when the phone rings girls loved so much. :D

sand_man

Honorary Master
Teens will love them. I remember those glowing pink things that light up when the phone rings girls loved so much. :D

Yeah, I'm not convinced. There's a very fine line between cool and uncool. I reckon Apple's got it wrong with these covers. I love the multi coloured iPhone's and that's very much a winner as is the multi coloured 5th gen iPod's...

genetic

Honorary Master

Those custom LED infested antenna's for the old Sony Erricson's and Nokia handsets? :D

Bona Botse

A little insight goes a long way
Yeah, I'm not convinced. There's a very fine line between cool and uncool. I reckon Apple's got it wrong with these covers. I love the multi coloured iPhone's and that's very much a winner as is the multi coloured 5th gen iPod's...

Apple plays a big role in what is and isn't cool though. So, uncool yesterday, Apple places its logo on it today, cool tomorrow.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Apple plays a big role in what is and isn't cool though. So, uncool yesterday, Apple places its logo on it today, cool tomorrow.

Perhaps. The power of the brand? Well, that theory is going to be severely tested with these new covers.

Not only do they look peculiar but it's not a practical design either. Imagine all the dust and crap that's going to collect around the cut outs? Keys and crap will get hooked on those covers easy!! And I wonder how it will feel in the hand? Can't imagine it would feel very natural...

Bloody daft!!

falcon786

Honorary Master
http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/10/4716286/iphone-5c-not-a-cheap-iphone-just-colorful
If you're going to make a plastic phone, though, this is how to do it. From the cohesive shell to the smooth and glossy back (which did pick up a fair number of fingerprints) the device feels far better than Samsung's or LG's plastic options. Even the rubbery cases look nice, their open-circle backs fitting in nicely with the color palette. They cover just the wrong part of the text on the phone's back, though, so with a case on you just see the word "non" all the time. Strange.

Funny how they steered very clear of mentioning Nokia,lol are the tech publications afraid of offending Apple by highlighting Apples direct copying of NOKIA lumia design and material usage?

I think the fins should sue,or would that now be Microsofts job? :wtf:

cerebus

Honorary Master
Perhaps. The power of the brand? Well, that theory is going to be severely tested with these new covers.

Not only do they look peculiar but it's not a practical design either. Imagine all the dust and crap that's going to collect around the cut outs? Keys and crap will get hooked on those covers easy!! And I wonder how it will feel in the hand? Can't imagine it would feel very natural...

Bloody daft!!

Well... you'll have to speak for yourself alone here. And nobody forces you to buy one. The whole idea is personalisation and fun, and the 2-tone thing works well for me. I do think the market for this is not going to be middle aged male IT professionals though if it helps.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Funny how they steered very clear of mentioning Nokia,lol are the tech publications afraid of offending Apple by highlighting Apples direct copying of NOKIA lumia design and material usage?

I think it's because Nokia's phones A) aren't Android and B) are of a pretty high quality plastic actually. I enjoyed the build quality of the 620 when I had it. Software...yea...perhaps not so much.

sand_man

Honorary Master

Did they copy Nokia though? When did Nokia's coloured lumia's launch cause the iPod 5th gen touch launched in October 2012 and it was then that Apple started with multi coloured devices.

EDIT: I see the 920 launched in September 2012... Mmmmmm..

Last edited:

sand_man

Honorary Master
Well... you'll have to speak for yourself alone here. And nobody forces you to buy one. The whole idea is personalisation and fun, and the 2-tone thing works well for me. I do think the market for this is not going to be middle aged male IT professionals though if it helps.

Agree on 2 tone but just not with the circular cut out everywhere approach...

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
Did they copy Nokia though? When did Nokia's coloured lumia's launch cause the iPod 5th gen touch launched in October 2012 and it was then that Apple started with multi coloured devices.

EDIT: I see the 920 launched in September 2012... Mmmmmm..

Well I had colored covers for my Nokia 5110 back in 1998 :D

Nokia_5110.jpg

So Nokia is not new to brightly colored phones either....

falcon786

Honorary Master
I think it's because Nokia's phones A) aren't Android and B) are of a pretty high quality plastic actually. I enjoyed the build quality of the 620 when I had it. Software...yea...perhaps not so much.

Well ios isn't android either :erm: they were comparing plastic in the quote and it seems odd that nokia would be left out.

Did they copy Nokia though? When did Nokia's coloured lumia's launch cause the iPod 5th gen touch launched in October 2011 and it was then that Apple started with multi coloured devices.

Its not so much about the colours only its the entire plastic look and feel and design of the device that I'm talking about.Pretty much the same as a nokia lumia.