Apply to renew passport online

craigba

Okay so just an update I completed the online application for renewal of passport and then at payment there's a penalty of R400 waiting for me, so the total is R800 for renewal.

I call home affairs to ask why there's a panalty fee for my passport as it is not expired, they say the system automatically charges that penalty as it can't read your current passport expiry date. My only option is to go to a home affairs branch, not a home affairs bank branch as they don't accept payment.

So now I'm stuck with catch-22, either I pay the R400 extra and go fetch at a bank. Or queue for 2 days at home affairs branch.:mad:
Yip. Had the exact same issue... When applying my passport was 6 months and 6 days before expiring. Online said the reason for the extra charge was "No Reason yet". A mate had the same issue. Short of the long, I bit the bullet and queued for 4 hours. He tried the Bank route.
He tells me that it's not so marvelous (He pictured the bank doing it for you, when it's just a DHA stall inside the bank - same lazy, go-slow attitude, just in a new location).
I have my passport, he doesn't...

craigba

I think that they charge you a penalty if there is more than six months left on your passport.

That is what happened when I applied.

So I cancelled, waited for two weeks and applied again - no penalty.
To the OP, try cancelling and redoing it. When I tried to cancel, it wouldn't allow me to.
I even called their helpless desk and they said that they can't cancel it, their outsource IT company has to do it.
Don't hold you breath...
I takes about 6 months to expire on the online system...

GoB

Expert Member
I'm going to assume that
a) the term "card passport" doesn't exist
b) passports still expire
c) people are smoking too much weed

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
Does the new card passport have a 10 year expiry date or is it infinite
I have heard of the new card ID (I have one) but I have not heard of them going with a card Passport? How woudl they do that, where would your visas be attached and where will the immigration officers stamp?

nicroets

Both me and my mom did our passports recently. After *many* pitfalls, we succeeded:

1. You cannot complete the online form from a smart phone because it uses Flash Player. Chrome and Firefox works from a laptop.

2. The online system should send you an email to verify your email address. Don't confuse this with the "activation" email, otherwise you won't be able to submit your (draft) application.

3. If you have a draft application online, the Home Affairs branch can't help you. At all! Call the call center and keep trying until you submit the form online.

4. We could not call the toll free call center number from Telkom mobile prepaid. Fortunately my VoIP phone worked. (Fresh Phone)

5. They do not support online payments from Capitec Bank, so I went to Home Affairs branch in the Pretoria CBD without making an appointment. The queues were relatively short.

5. I applied on 13 Feb with my passport expiring 11 August. The lady at Home Affairs counted the (partial) calendar months and said my passport was still valid for 7 months. I told her no embassy will give me a 3 month visa anymore because they count the days. She relented and I only paid R400.

6. They strongly encourage anyone with green IDs to apply for the new card IDs, but it is not yet mandatory. They were able to add it to my passport renewal without any extra paperwork or photos.

Last edited:

Marsie27

I applied and paid online (Internet Explorer works, Chrome & Firefox don't) the last weekend of Jan, and went to HA Wynberg (easier to get to than 2 trips to Canal Walk) on the Monday afternoon to do the biometrics. You can follow the progress after that on your online profile, so I wasn't surprised to get an SMS yesterday to say it was ready, after 13 working days. I collected it this morning. The office was really busy, but efficiently and courteously run.

When you completed the online process did you get appointment options of which days and times were available at selected banks? Are the appointments only for weekdays or could you also pick times for a Saturday?

GoB

Expert Member
6. They strongly encourage anyone with green IDs to apply for the new card IDs, but it is not yet mandatory. They were able to add it to my passport renewal without any extra paperwork or photos.
Who is 'they', because every Home Affairs branch has advertised that ID books are still perfectly valid and seem to discourage the wasteful act of replacing an ID book with a card.
But it does make sense if you want to carry it around and have a spare ID book.

GoB

Expert Member
When you completed the online process did you get appointment options of which days and times were available at selected banks? Are the appointments only for weekdays or could you also pick times for a Saturday?
Yes you can complete the application to see the available timeslots, perhaps you need to do payment first.

In December 2018, DHA was closed on Saturdays so the Saturday bank appointments were also removed. http://www.dha.gov.za/ still indicates closed on Saturdays but who knows.

Yes you can complete the application to see the available timeslots, perhaps you need to do payment first.

In December 2018, DHA was closed on Saturdays so the Saturday bank appointments were also removed. http://www.dha.gov.za/ still indicates closed on Saturdays but who knows.
Ok thanks for the info, need to get the kids there so would prefer a weekend (so they dont have to miss school...will check what comes up when I make the appointment

Marsie27

Ok thanks for the info, need to get the kids there so would prefer a weekend (so they dont have to miss school...will check what comes up when I make the appointment
The HA branch I went to has certain days and times when they give priority to school kids in uniform - there was a notice outside to this effect and giving the details, and certainly the ones I saw at Wynberg HA were whisked to the front of the queue and dealt with expeditiously.

GoB

Expert Member
There are Friday late appointments which are the most popular I guess for this reason... check a few weeks into the future.

Everyone booking for the same slot go into a queue. So if the appointment slot is 2PM, you can still arrive a bit later.

nicroets

Who is 'they', because every Home Affairs branch has advertised that ID books are still perfectly valid and seem to discourage the wasteful act of replacing an ID book with a card.
But it does make sense if you want to carry it around and have a spare ID book.
The employees in the branch encouraged me to get the card. My book is over 20 years old and I don't look the same. I was there for there for a passport, so they felt I may as well get the ID card as well.

brucebru

I think that they charge you a penalty if there is more than six months left on your passport.

That is what happened when I applied.

So I cancelled, waited for two weeks and applied again - no penalty.

A bit idiotic, because you can't use your passport if it has less than six months left, and if you apply in preparation for a trip you have to pay the penalty.

But par for the course for Home Affairs.
It's absolutely ridiculous. They say it's cos the HA official needs to verify that the passport is still in existence and not lost (which legitimately incurs a R400 penalty). But why they are unable to do that at the bank branch and process the refund there is beyond me!

How could they expect to win their "War on Queues" if they can't even win the "battle" with their own antiquated system? :unsure::mad: