Applying for a Smart ID – Friendly staff, air-conditioned room, but still a long wait

moklet

Expert Member
Waiting in the bank beats waiting in a chaotic Home Affairs office where it sometimes is not even clear in which queue your are

Napalm2880

Expert Member
There's a bug in the online site which adds an extra R400 penalty to the cost of renewing your passport online. I experienced this myself, and I'm seen numerous posts about it on social media. In my case it said that the fee was for a passport renewed >6months in advance (It was 3 months from expiry date) but I've seen posts with other reasons. To avoid the fee you have to go into the Home Affairs office to sort it out.

I'm curious as to where the "bug money" is going...

Johand

Expert Member
Took me less than 30 min in comfort at Home Affairs Cape Town office. Was pleasantly surprised. Was faster than my last wait at a FNB branch for a banking related issue...

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I don't understand why you have to be a customer of the bank branch you want to make an appointment at. Doesn't seem fair to those of us in the Western Cape where there is only 1 bank Home Affairs branch at Standard Bank at Canal Walk.

Corelli

Canal walk does it much quicker.

Also dont ever book an appointment during lunch, then they are normally short staffed. I would avoid the 11-1pm time slots, and try after that. Usually the afternoon is more quiet.

Luke7777

Executive Member
Has the issue of citizens not born in the country and aren't allowed to apply for the new id been resolved yet ?

Gaz{M}

Expert Member
Also, note you must use Internet Explorer. The eHomeAffairs site bombed out so many times using Chrome and some pages don't display properly.

I also went to Standard Bank and the process was friendly and relatively quick.

ISP cash cow

Expert Member
Did mine last year at Nedbank, really happy I did as my original ID book was falling apart and it just so much easier carrying my ID card in my wallet for when I need it.

Puzzleman

After reading this article I realized that my current green ID book is 30 years old and it was about time I got my new Smart ID Card.
So, I went to the Home Affairs site and, after filling in all the required details in the first page for Registration, it responds with a second page that states (in RED) that "This facility is currently only available for South African citizens born in South Africa".
Talk about discrimination -- I was born in England and have been a South African citizen since 1976 BUT I cannot get a Smart ID Card - l.o.l.

Luke7777

Executive Member
After reading this article I realized that my current green ID book is 30 years old and it was about time I got my new Smart ID Card.
So, I went to the Home Affairs site and, after filling in all the required details in the first page for Registration, it responds with a second page that states (in RED) that "This facility is currently only available for South African citizens born in South Africa".
Talk about discrimination -- I was born in England and have been a South African citizen since 1976 BUT I cannot get a Smart ID Card - l.o.l.
I hear you.... I've been here since '63 ... born in the Netherlands to SA parents .:D