Aramex global shopper

DeeinSouthAfrica

Expert Member
Does the 3 parcels a year limit actually get enforced? If so, that's got to be one of the most retarded things I've ever heard of.

Also, does it count it you're importing low value items less than R500 that don't go through customs?
I have never heard of anyone being fined for not adhering to the 3 parcel a year rule.
Not to say you won't be the first one fined...

Regarding the R500 or lower parcels - if you're lucky they fly through unmolested by customs. Beware of spot-checks. Customs love spot checking low value parcels. It means delays + 15 % VAT on invoice total + R50 for Aramex clearance. Bloody irritating, and happens quite often.
Finally, if you have two low value parcels coming through at the same time, customs will treat them as one parcel and charge duty accordingly.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
If you have ordered anything recently and this is in addition to the order you placed... stay quiet.
Reason why I said this is that a year ago I ordered a Netgear modem from Ebay.
I was told by Aramex it was on its way.
Two days later I get another Aramex tracking number.
I go WTF?
Truesbob, the supplier sent two modems. It's like they lost track of the order, thought they hadn't sent it, and re-sent it.
It was Christmas time, and I guess they got overwhelmed with orders.
Don't ask where the 2nd modem is now (trying not to look at bookshelf)....
Don't have any current orders in the system...

DeeinSouthAfrica

Expert Member
I have a new one for you:

Good Day
I hope you are well
Customs has requested inspection on your shipment at the cost of R160 please may you kindly advise if you accept this charge.
Kind Regards
Katleho Motloung
Stops Clerk

I went WTF? Customs inspect everything anyway. (Sounds like extortion) :unsure:
I queried it.
Her reply:
Customs usually just checks the documents but for an inspection the charge is R160.

I never asked for an inspection! (I'm still thinking extortion, R160 off everyone and they're looking good.)

My latest email to her:
I will only pay this when I receive an official Aramex invoice.

I wonder what her reply will be?
Meanwhile my shipment is gathering dust in Johannesburg somewhere. :mad:

Bundu

Expert Member
I have a new one for you:

Good Day
I hope you are well
Customs has requested inspection on your shipment at the cost of R160 please may you kindly advise if you accept this charge.
Kind Regards
Katleho Motloung
Stops Clerk

I went WTF? Customs inspect everything anyway. (Sounds like extortion) :unsure:
I queried it.
Her reply:
Customs usually just checks the documents but for an inspection the charge is R160.

I never asked for an inspection! (I'm still thinking extortion, R160 off everyone and they're looking good.)

My latest email to her:
I will only pay this when I receive an official Aramex invoice.

I wonder what her reply will be?
Meanwhile my shipment is gathering dust in Johannesburg somewhere. :mad:

sounds ridiculous! Imagine SARS charging me to evaluate my tax return?

Tinuva

The Magician
How big is this customs queue now at ags jhb? Have a package waiting there since the 16th now, which is longer than I used to wait.

Jughead12

How big is this customs queue now at ags jhb? Have a package waiting there since the 16th now, which is longer than I used to wait.
Good luck. I struggled like mad with my parcel. It sat in customs for 8 days and nothing was done at all in that time. I've never had a struggle with them before this

DeeinSouthAfrica

Expert Member
Good luck. I struggled like mad with my parcel. It sat in customs for 8 days and nothing was done at all in that time. I've never had a struggle with them before this
Likewise. I have 22 parcels in the system. Nothing in Johannesburg has shown any movement since Friday.
Most say Customs Clearance - In Progress.
This didn't usually happen - I had things delivered in 7-10 days.

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
What I have found with Aramex (here in SA) is that they are useless. You have to contact them when a package arrives in SA. They will wait weeks to inform you that it needs customs clearance.

Once you have sent off all the documents and paid the extorsion duty and other charges, you have to chase them to get the package released.

They are only too happy to follow the SA culture of "no one asks so why must I care?". Try and phone them? You get passed around like a blunt at an Elon Musk interview. Use email. If they reply there are normally a few CC's. Use all these email addresses when replying.

Bewlen

Expert Member
I cancelled my account with AGS after receiving several notifications on orders that I definitely did not place, and those packages even being delivered to, well, not me but on my account. So much WTF, emails went unanswered, calls were not resolved. AGS is becoming PostOffice Lite. No thank you.

Jughead12

Yeah I was very upset with this last order of mine. Each consultant promises delivery on a different day. The parcel was delivered 2 weeks after they promised delivery. Items was scanned and showed customs in progress only to be scanned in the facility for 8 days with no progress then scanned and the customs in progress again.

Even when Olivia promised delivery for the following Monday and said she will personally ensure it is delivered on Monday it wasn't. It was delivered on Tuesday after I made another scene

DeeinSouthAfrica

Expert Member
What I have found with Aramex (here in SA) is that they are useless. You have to contact them when a package arrives in SA. They will wait weeks to inform you that it needs customs clearance.

Once you have sent off all the documents and paid the extorsion duty and other charges, you have to chase them to get the package released.

They are only too happy to follow the SA culture of "no one asks so why must I care?". Try and phone them? You get passed around like a blunt at an Elon Musk interview. Use email. If they reply there are normally a few CC's. Use all these email addresses when replying.
Agreed. Phone calls leave no trace. Emails are the way to go.
I usually click on the hyperlink below where the invoice is uploaded:
"For enquiries about this shipment click here".
I add to it each day I see no movement.

DeeinSouthAfrica

Expert Member
Yeah I was very upset with this last order of mine. Each consultant promises delivery on a different day. The parcel was delivered 2 weeks after they promised delivery. Items was scanned and showed customs in progress only to be scanned in the facility for 8 days with no progress then scanned and the customs in progress again.

Even when Olivia promised delivery for the following Monday and said she will personally ensure it is delivered on Monday it wasn't. It was delivered on Tuesday after I made another scene
I never get Monday deliveries. I concluded its because they busy with the Aramex Postnet deliveries and the Aramex Express parcels that arrived over the weekend.

Jughead12

I never get Monday deliveries. I concluded its because they busy with the weekend Aramex Postnet deliveries and the Aramex Express parcels that arrived over the weekend.
I believed her considering she's at the joburg branch and she says she knows what's happening and she's making sure the parcel is loaded as we speak. Bunch of nonsense. Aramex was never this bad ever

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
I never get Monday deliveries. I concluded its because they busy with the Aramex Postnet deliveries and the Aramex Express parcels that arrived over the weekend.
I have never had a problem with Aramex Store-to-Door or Postnet deliveries. It's the international ones that they suck at. Once it has cleared customs and marked for a regional centre its fine. Often it is just easier to use the DHL option at twice the price just to alleviate the stress.

Maybe MyBB could do a piece on Aramex.

SpiderGear

Since when does Aramex take a photo of the recipient when they deliver?

They attempted to deliver to my office just now but left with the parcel because I was not available so they can take a photo of me??

Bundu

Expert Member
AFAIK SARS (customs) is on a go-slow or strike? Could that not be the problem with parcels getting stuck at customs?

Rohela

It's been a month since I filed a claim for my phone that went missing and still not paid.